• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Door hits engine cover

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Door hits engine cover

Post by kerrye »

Anyone seen this before? Front left corner of engine cover blocks the door on my BIL’s new A25
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Door hits engine cover

Post by kerrye »

2F903C3D-EC45-461E-B79D-64D1BD94C2F5.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Looks like someone has modified, widened, or replaced the stock engine cover. From your earlier post on winterizing it looks like the boat is a later model where the top of the cover can hinge up & tilt forward without opening the cabin wall panel in the cabin bulkhead as with older boats like ours where you have to remove the seat and first floorboard section behind the engine, swing open the wall panel, unlatch the front end of the engine cover from inside the cabin & tip the box backward. Somewhere along the production run Albin changed the design of the engine box. Seems the only solution in your BIL's case is to notch the corner of the door so it clears the box. Weird.

PO's of our boat cut out an opening on top near the starboard edge of the engine box so one can check engine oil without lifting the whole cover. Still have to open the box to do anything else including adding oil.

Our box & door looks like this and is in fact notched.. I'm not sure what the deal is with his. This photo is one of the PO's ad photos. The little jump seat has since been removed.
Albin Portside Cockpit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I don't have the hinged engine cover like your but I also don't have an engine cover like my BIL with a hinged back section. Mine slides backwards off the engine compartment.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

My door swings over that portion of the engine cover.
fuel transfer system.jpg
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

My engine cover looks exactly like the OP only it is positioned far enough to the right to clear the door. Looks like a mix and match of incompatible components from different model years. Surely there is a clever remedy that will make it disappear.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

WillieC's photo explains the problem very well. Looks like the BIL's engine box is not seated correctly. Either not clamped down enough and/or needs to slide a tad more to the right. Perhaps due to some play in the hinges? I have a similar issue with ours sometimes. When I go to close the engine box & put everything back together I check the clearance on the door before I clamp the box down. An eighth or quarter of an inch play makes the difference whether the door will close right or bind on the side of the box. Seems like an easy fix. I take it back what I said about BIL's box being modified from stock. This explains the purpose of the angled corner of the engine box, allowing the cabin door to be a bit wider compared to earlier version like ours. You learn so much from being part of this group! All Albin 25's look similar from the outside, but there's all these little changes over the different production years.

Yes, it's Thanksgiving morning & I'm sitting here checking AOG. Contrary to appearances I actually do have a life outside of Albins. We're headed over to granddaughter's place for big extended family dinner seating 21 later today. Then Saturday we'll be out on the lake for a club raft up with our sailboater friends. It's crazy warm out here, cloudless sky and expected high of 82 on the lake.

We have so much to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Ah yes. A life outside of talking about engine covers, with or without hinges on an obscure 40+ YO boat from Sweden...
Happy Thanksgiving all!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Here's the best I can do for a pic now, being Tday and all.
image.jpeg
The foil traces the inside of the lid. I concur with Kerrye that the door slides over the step and alongside the angle.
Bil's cover looks too high for whatever reason. That corner under the lid is tight with alternator almost hitting it. If belt is removed, I can see where it might swing outward and prevent the lid from dropping. My lid, a slider like Bil's (sorry, the name is starting to stick), needs to be lifted over the air cleaners until it is almost all the way forward, then it will drop to the right height for the final jam forward.
Keep us posted. Now, let's talk turkey.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

That cover on my BIL's boat is just not in place correctly. I ran across this photo the PO sent me of the engine. There's a 'step' in the back part of the engine cover which is completely under the floorboards in this photo. It's not currently under the floorboards now that my BIL has it.
albin ky5.jpg
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Here's how it looks currently.
albin ky6.jpg
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That MD17C has the crank starter! Let me know how it works.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I had been thinking about that. With the solid wooden bulkhead at the bow cabin, how would one insert a crank handle in to position and turn it? Unless there's a hole in the bulkhead and a long handle.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”