• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 - Prop Shaft Pin Install??

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

A25 - Prop Shaft Pin Install??

Post by stxray »

Hey Guys,
I know I've been MIA for awhile but I've been working nonstop trying to get my A25 in the water which I did last weekend. When I got her back on the trailer, I noticed a bit more of the shiny part of the prop shaft extending from the boat. With further inspection, I found I could move the shaft back & forth and could see where the prop nut had hit the forward edge of the rudder. Pulling the engine cover, I found the tapered pin in the prop flange of the coupler was missing. From the crud in the hole, I have to believe it's been missing for awhile.

I've ordered a new pin but could use some advice on how one installs a tapered pin and what keeps it from dropping out again. I've spoken with a machinist and a marine service tech and have gotten conflicting suggestion.

The shaft does have a key and it appears the pin goes into the hole on one side of the collar, through the shaft and out the hole on the other side of the collar. So do I just hammer it in? Does one use Locktite, Anti-seize, oil, etc.? Once it's in, what's going to keep it in?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: A25 - Prop Shaft Pin Install??

Post by kerrye »

Pretty sure my coupler is clamped to the shaft and not pinned to the shaft. Are there no clamps on your coupler? Do you have a photo of your coupler? I did a google image search on shaft coupler with a pin and couldn't see anything. Seems like a very strange system to me. The only thing that would seem to make it secure in my mind would be holes in either end of the pin which could be used to wire it around the couple.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Here's a thread which describes a coupling with a tapered pin associated with a Volvo engine. Appears that it was just friction holding it in place.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index ... 27519.html
Last edited by kerrye on Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Kerry,
Yep,that link is exactly my situation except in reverse. He couldn't get it out and I'm trying to get it in :lol:

Some of the discussion is helpful though. According to UPS, my pin is "Out for delivery". If it gets here before nightfall, I'll give it a try. In the meantime, I think I'll work on cleaning up the hole a bit.

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know how I make out.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Interesting. This YouTube video might be of interest about couplers fitting to shafts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onmkD4PnRlk

I agree with Kerrye's first reply comment. Also, the pin should not have just fallen out. More likely it sheared off from prop hitting something?

Also a good source of advice might be Joe DeMers at Sound Marine Diesel in Connecticut. Besides actually having done repower job on an Albin 25, he specializes in repowering boats with inboards and all that goes with it. A call or email to him may be helpful.

http://www.soundmarinediesel.com/index.html

Makes me think of a possible new winter project for our boat, pulling prop & shaft to have it checked for straightness, replace cutlass bearing & shaft to AquaDrive thrust bearing coupling.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I am pretty sure yours may have spun. Is the shaft full clear of the coupler?
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

WillieC wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:22 pm I am pretty sure yours may have spun. Is the shaft full clear of the coupler?
No, the rudder stopped it from shooting out the back of the boat. :shock:

There's a key between the shaft and coupler that's still in place.

Just got the pin delivered so, I will try an install tomorrow. Stay tuned :roll:
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

If you have a chance, take pictures so we can learn more from your efforts.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

The pin is in :D
So, as requested here's some details and pictures.
Pin1.jpg
1. The tapered pin (#907599) is indeed tapered. See dimensions in picture above.
Pin2.jpg
2. This pic shows the pin inserted into the exit hole.
pin3.jpg
3. Here, the shaft has been rotated 180 degrees and the pin has been inserted in the inlet hole. The depth to which the pin penetrates makes determining which hole is which pretty obvious.
Pin4.jpg
4. Here's a shot of the pin pressed in with just my finger.
Pin5.jpg
5. Here's the final shot. The pin was tapped in with a 4 oz.ball pein hammer. It didn't take a whole lot of banging to fully seat it. Once seated, I used a prick punch to to stake in place as suggested by both my machinist friend as well as Joe DeMers of Sound Marine Diesel (Good suggestion, Desert)

So, it looks like we're back in business. Thanks to all who responded. You guys are my go-to knowledge pool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good photos. I appreciate the shout out re the Joe DeMers tip, thanks. That crosswise tapered pin seems an unusual arrangement. Typical Volvo engineering I guess. I was thinking you were talking about a square cotter key. Glad you got it fixed.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Excellent to hear, Ray! That staking of the pin is the ticket. Way to go. Glad it worked out.

Tapered pin AND keyway. That is the DELUXE, delux edition!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Thanks. Great info.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I lost my shaft drive twice - each time as I was coasting into the dock Bless the Sea Gods. The key had been lost somewhere in the oily innards, but first time I was able to hammer the pin in. Did not actually realize there was a key missing. Next time, grandson's foot work saved the dock bump, and a local mechanic scrounged around for a piece of metal that he fashioned for a replacement hey. On the bright side - now I know how it all fits together. :) But that pin thing seems a weird way to go, engineering-wise.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”