• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Greencoast Albin 25 - was help with offer

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Help with offer on Albin 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Bellingham Bay can be regularly frisky.
You mean like this? And this was in June. Hint: Head on into the waves she'll do fine, but in a fresh beam sea the A25 will snap roll from 20 degree heel one way to 20 degree heel the other.
20160617_142547.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Greencoast Albin 25 - was help with offer

Post by WillieC »

Exactly just like that. And great description of the snap heel, precisely the conditions of our leg from Oak Harbor over to LaConner.

Lovely day on the Canal today.
IMG_1292.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
greencoast
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by greencoast »

kerrye wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 pm Nice. Is that a second rub rail below the gunwale? Haven't seen that on an A25 before.

Yes it is, and I haven't either. Searched a lot of images and no definitive proof; (possibly a painted one or two, but not sure.
greencoast
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by greencoast »

WillieC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:08 am Bellingham Bay can be regularly frisky. Drove up Chuckanut Drive over Thanksgiving and pulled out every vista reliving our summer voyage up there. I think it was much windier this time than last summer, but the pattern was the same. East wind blowing out of Samish Bay made for some pretty good chop. Not too many boats out, but a few insane kayakers.
I have been thinking about the manifold issue of the D2-40. Surely somebody has solved those issues. Apparently the HX is part of the manifold, not sure as I haven't seen it up close and in person. If these are rebadged perkins, there must be a tractor or truck manifold somewhere that would bolt on and then go back to the separate heat exchanger, the old standby Sendure that many of us geezers inherited from the olden days. Just thinking our loud. Maybe I am thinking about it all wrong...plain old exhaust manifolds don't usually have coolant running through them, do they? Or is it a diesel thing? I spent way too many years with 36 and 40 horse VWs. We don't need no stinkin' water.
hmmm... Maybe the stock manifold could be modified to remove the heat exchanger, weld it up, provide hose ports, and then use a remote HX...dkirsop has nothing to do this winter. The guy does magic with his AD21. He could figure this out.

BTW, greencoast, have you inquired about the outstanding recall on this engine?
Have indeed inquired re. recall, and ours is not among the "chosen". As for potential manifold trouble shooting, I'll leave it to a highly recommended local marine mechanic if the need arises ; working with wood is more my speed :)
greencoast
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by greencoast »

Yes, Bellingham Bay and the Salish Sea can be filthy in the winter, but those precious, beautiful calm periods make one want to stretch their sea legs.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

No question about the missed opportunity in winter around these parts. I got involved in other landlubbing projects and missed a couple great weeks here on the Canal.

When we bought our boat, we enlisted the help of the PO to bring it down on the water in November. Pretty much dead calm all the way to Port Orchard over 3 days and 2 nights. We started late in the day on a Wednesday and made it only to Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes the first night. Dodging crab pots in the dark. Then a glorious sunrise only to disappear in the fog at the Swinomish Channel.

Anyway, the boat is currently in a state of partial disassembly for maintenance. Most of the gear and supplies have also been stored for the winter in a drier environment. Fortunately, I was able to fix most of the little leaks, so the boat is staying much drier. Haven't got around to covering it, considering it has been an outdoor toy most of its life, sitting in the water year 'round for decades. Need to put it back together for the next good stretch that is surely coming!

Greencoast, may I suggest you start another thread now that you are the happy new owner! Otherwise we have been known to go off on a million tangents and will blab for days on nothing related to the original subject. (Guilty, as charged, your honor.) We are all dying to see more pictures and hear of your projects and journeys.

Best wishes and glad to have you aboard.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

If we're talking about the same problem I was reading about, epoxy coating the cast iron which is eroding away strikes me as an extremely good piece of preventive maintenance not likely to be undertaken by your average diesel mechanic unless under specific direction of the owner.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

$20K seems fair for a Albin-25 in top condition with low hour motor & tranny. I gave $12K for my Deluxe with orig motor sitting on a new trailer. Add 5K for professional refinishing of the deck & house, 2K for new upholstery throughout the interior, and a K for miscl stuff and that totals 18K. I'd ask 19 were I to sell, and bargain from there.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I agree with Nick. Generally speaking, with boats it seems you get what you pay for one way or another. Any time you can benefit from a PO's need to sell at a loss (in terms of $$ invested over rime in repairs, upgrades, and general upkeep) the better for you. I dare say any of us if we really admitted how much we spend on our boats will "lose" money on a purely financial basis when the time comes to sell, hopefully far off in the future. But the memories we make, the adventures and good times we have, and yes even the scary times of fog and/or rough weather are priceless. We "Albineers" are a unique bunch.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I paid $6K Cad for mine and have put at least another 6 into it, but that has been more for farkles than anything. Nothing needed to make it basically workable. And I feel less that comfortable putting around at less than 7.5 kts (MD17C). I hit over 5 kts at slightly above idle, it seems to me.

Maybe I should remove the hydrofoils? :shock:
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”