• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

We are Heading South

Albin's "power cruisers"
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

We are Heading South

Post by stxray »

Well, after a lot of work and a lot of questions answered mainly by the fantastic fellow Albin boaters on this site, I finally launched.

I towed the boat to a marina about 70 miles from my home to the Bohemia Vista Yacht Basin on the Bohemia River, a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay. Turned out to be a smart move. The launch went well and I spent 2 nights at the marina getting things organized.

On Tuesday, I topped off the fuel and headed south to Annapolis. The Bohemia River took me to the Elk and then out onto the Bay. The weather was overcast with a predicted high in the low 60's, winds 5-10 knots and wave 1-2 feet. That sounded doable. Doable, maybe but not an easy trip. Some of those waves had to be more like 3 feet. There were a couple of times where I had water breaking over the bow. Though at times, I felt more like a rodeo cowboy than a sailor, I never felt like the conditions were more than the boat could handle. Then the engine quit.

I was running at 1800 rpm doing about 7.2 knots when she stuttered and died. :shock: When I tried to restart, she started right up. It did this about 3-4 times, each time starting right up. After the last time, I throttled back to about 1400 rpm and dropped my speed to about 5.8 to 6.2 knots. It didn't happen for the rest of the trip. :roll: (More on what I did to address the problem a little later.)

I got to Annapolis and tied up about 5 PM; much later than I wanted to arrive as it was getting dark. :oops: Here's a couple of shots of me tied up at the City Docks.
2017-12-06 16.32.57.jpg
2017-12-06 16.32.27.jpg
I planned to stay only one night in Annapolis but extended to a second as the winds were predicted to be 10 to 15, with gusts to 25 and, wave of 2-4'. I wasn't going for that ride again so, I stayed in port.

Now, back to the engine. As part of my renovation, I replaced all the flexible fuel lines except the one that goes from the filter to the injector pump. In talking to my mechanic, I didn't think it sounded like water or the pump. Instead, he suspected that one piece of fuel line I hadn't replaced. His theory: the line could be collapsing and choking off the supply. :?: So, today I replaced that fuel line. We'll see tomorrow what I encounter.

One other problem I encountered was an erratic tachometer. :?: At times, it stopped working completely. Other times, it was reading low. Today, I checked all the connections at the tach and at the sending unit. he ones at the sending unit seemed loose so, I replaced them. No help. If anyone has any ideas on how to determine if its the sending unit or the tachometer, I'd love to hear them.

Tomorrow, the waves are predicted to be about 1' so I'll heading to Solomon Island at first light.

Stay tuned :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: We are Heading South

Post by kerrye »

Could the engine problem be something clogging the tank pickup caused by the rough seas? If you think you might have the problem again, you could carry a 5 gallon fuel tank with a hose you could run to the IP in an emergency.
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Sounds like you have everything under control. How far are you headed? Your first day on the Bay and you made it further south then I did all summer. Congratulations have a great trip.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Ah, the shakedown cruise! I hope you solve the fuel issue quickly. Sounds like a good start. Keep plenty of filters aboard.

My tach issue was and continues to be loose spade connections at the sender. I know right where to go when the tach acts up. They really need to be screw connectors on the shake and bake engines.

Can't wait to hear more!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Looks like there’s colder weather coming your way. Stay warm
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Awesome! Sorry to hear about the engine troubles. Can't offer much advice there, I'm a Yanmar guy. But the fuel line diagnosis sounds about right. Since your last post was yesterday, you should be most of the way toward Solomons by now. Might recommend ducking into Cambridge on the way. You can also refuel in Oxford if need be. Not sure of your time frame, but a run up St. Leonard's Creek might also be an idea. Vera's Beach club may be closed for the season now, and even in summer they're only open Thurs-Sunday. Was that your blue dinghy in tow in your dock picture? If so, it expands your anchoring options. Would recommend going to the Calvert Marine Museum in Solomons. If you go to Cambridge you can also go the back way to St. Michaels via San Domingo Creek, or the "front door" via the Miles river on the way back. Brings back memories of our 2015 Chesapeake Cruise. Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

kerrye wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:06 pm Could the engine problem be something clogging the tank pickup caused by the rough seas? If you think you might have the problem again, you could carry a 5 gallon fuel tank with a hose you could run to the IP in an emergency.
It never happened during the rough seas but seems to be speed related. But I'm thinking pickup tube also as I replaced it and maybe I screwed something up.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Sprig1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm Sounds like you have everything under control. How far are you headed? Your first day on the Bay and you made it further south then I did all summer. Congratulations have a great trip.
Key West, if she'll make it :D
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

WillieC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:53 pm Ah, the shakedown cruise! I hope you solve the fuel issue quickly. Sounds like a good start. Keep plenty of filters aboard.

My tach issue was and continues to be loose spade connections at the sender. I know right where to go when the tach acts up. They really need to be screw connectors on the shake and bake engines.

Can't wait to hear more!
They were loose. I filed the tabs and crimped on new connectors but no luck. Given what you say, maybe I'll try again.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stxray »

Good suggestion Desert maybe another time. Given the weather, I'm looking to get to more temperate climates as soon as possible. That said, I'll be spending a week in Hampton, VA to deliver a class. Hey, got to pay for all this "fun"

Finally, I started a blog: www.doingtheditch.xyz] . Check it out for future updates.
Al Dente
Volvo Penta MD3B
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I'd experiment with a separate fuel supply in a small tank (like an outboard tank) connected as close to the engine as possible to confirm the problem is in the fuel system upstream of the engine. Smart idea on the SPOT. Good luck.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Does your tach gets its reading from the alternator? If so, problem may be in the alternator itself. Does the voltage meter vary?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Nay, Kerrye. There is a simple hall effect sensor that screws into the side of the engine that senses the teeth of the camshaft drifting by. I couldn't believe it was that simple. Now if Ray is missing half the teeth on his camshaft, that could be a source of misreading, but it would manifest itself in more direct ways. Hmm...now that I think of it, maybe I did have a bad sensor and didn't fool with it, just went back to the known good one.
Ray, I'll check what I have laying around. Give me a few days.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Great blog! All the way to Key West? Wow! Now that's ambitious! We'll be rooting for you all the way. Calvert Marina in Solomons is a nice if somewhat out of the way no frills marina with very reasonable rates, as I'm sure you've discovered. We stayed there for a night waiting for weather to calm down after a big summer storm before heading over to Cambridge, June 27, 2015 to be exact. Not sure if it's still true today, but back then the dock master had an old black Mercedes sedan that he'd allow transient slip holders to borrow to make runs to the store for provisions. Interesting place. That whole little peninsula was a Navy training base for amphibious landing tactics during WWII. During its time in operation from opening in 1942 to closing in 1945 67,698 officers and men were trained there.

http://www.wilmon.com/usnatbsmd.html
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

WillieC wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:16 pm Nay, Kerrye. There is a simple hall effect sensor that screws into the side of the engine that senses the teeth of the camshaft drifting by. I couldn't believe it was that simple.
Camshaft?? Boy, Volvo does things differently! Yanmar counts the starter teeth on the flywheel

82/71 degrees in Marathon last time I checked. You will find it's much easier and cheaper to make Boot Key Harbor your central point, rather than Key West. It's just a $1.50 bus ride each way when you want to go see the sights there. Also, I highly recommend a trip out to the Dry Tortugas to take in Fort Jefferson if you have the time. It's hard to comprehend what they built there in the 1850's and 60's with manual labor. You will come away with a new perspective on things . . . .

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”