• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bench seat available?

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Bench seat available?

Post by kerrye »

Anyone know of a bench seat available for an A25? My bil bought an A25 with two pedestal seats and would prefer the OE bench.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Re: Bench seat available?

Post by NickScheuer »

Wouldn't be difficult to make one from scratch. I sold mine to another fellow on this forum and installed individual pivoting seats several years ago. The original seat is merely a pair of rectangular 3/4" plywood rectangles upholstered with blue Naugahyde and Urethane foam. Any upholstery shop can cover plywood you deliver. A pair of simple alum angle brackets position the seat bottom and back in the correct relationship. The supports are simple, too. Just get dimensions from another boat.

Personally, I found the original bench difficult to put somewhere (along with the engine box) when accessing the motor. With pivoting seats I only have to deal with the Mate's seat. The helm seat stays put.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

can you post a photo of yoiur BIL's seats? Shortly after I bought a pair of low-cost plastic seats I saw a nicer pair for sale here. If your BIL's seatsd are similar to those I'd upgrade in a heartbeat. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Here's a picture of the Captain's seat. I think they are identical.
albin ky4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Yes, not that difficult to make the bench seat. The OE support bracket would be nice. I can remove my engine cover without disturbing the bench seat which makes things easier.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

Here's a link to the one I got from Overton Marinehttps://www.overtons.com/modperl/produc ... e&i=316832
I picked it up on sale for $350 with free shipping. Watch their sales and I'm sure you could do the same.
Here it is installed.
2017-12-09 09.05.49.jpg
As you can see, it's reversible. Not only does this allow me to turn around and join the party, I'll be able to reverse the installation when the helm side starts to wear.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I like that seat! Especially the reversability. I have been trying to figure out how to build that but off the shelf is looking pretty good in this case. Then I would have a seat for Bil!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The reversability is really nice.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Big improvement over the stock. Mine is OE cut down to a single - so Andrea has to stand on a stool beside me. The original double was often cut back to free up easier access to the engine cover. Question - does this bench shown above have a leg resting on the engine cover? That is a deal breaker for me.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Leg is to starboard of engine in the photo as mine is.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

that would be good news if I could see it. But I can't.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

You can kinda see it in the picture. The legs sit just starboard of the engine cover. My whole cover slides back and I enjoy the pleasure of banging my head on the seat frame, but I don't have to remove the whole thing when working on the engine.

I don't know how those of you deal with the hinged cover set-up. I like the total access provided by the full slider we have, PITA as it is when removed. Maybe I'll quit checking the oil (so often). Actually, with the rebuild, I keep a very close eye on it, checking before every run, often after each run as well. Can't check coolant level hot. I can see exactly what is leaking and if it is getting worse. No surprises. Yeah, yeah, you guys with the brand new engines can eat out of your bilges. Someday...

I will definitely be looking at that reversible seat. That would really make the pilot house much more usable when moored. I am also pondering some kind of bunk arrangement in the pilot house. The reversible seat would be a good start.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Here's how I dealt with the hinged engine cover and engine access. Gives me good access all round. Now, if someone had just told be about that reversible seat I might have avoided a whole bunch of extra work.
P1040880.jpg
P1040882.jpg
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

You've got to admire a guy the bottom of whose bench seat looks better than much of my cabin.
The cable ties holding the white cable beneath the wheel are a bit asymmetrical, though.
Beautiful work, Dave.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Nice work, dkirsop. Judging by what you've done, you might well be able to rework the seat to have a reversible back.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”