• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Value of A25 Mast and Sails

Albin's "power cruisers"
greencoast
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Value of A25 Mast and Sails

Post by greencoast »

Hello all,

We've just purchased a 1975 A25 motorsailer and are looking to sell the mast and sails. They're currently not on the boat and haven't been for 15+ years, but have always been stored indoors and are in very good condition. We have no plans to motorsail and don't really want to deal with storing the gear either. Does anyone know what the value is of a sailing setup for an A25?

Thanks!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Value of A25 Mast and Sails

Post by kerrye »

Difficult question. Small market and anyone who wanted to convert a motorboat to a motorsailer would need the compression post and the chain plates. So my guess is not much.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Seems like somebody was looking for same not long ago. Double your price from not much. The Handbook describes most of the rigging required as I recall.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

You can find a possible purchaser here https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en# ... 03mDkQ8OrM
Hull No. 1013, 1971
greencoast
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bellingham, WA

Post by greencoast »

Thanks for the response! Will try and contact the prospective purchaser.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

dkirsop, I had not looked at that BC Albineers thread in a while. Re-reading some of those posts, the one from Harald about the usefulness having the sail rig as a steadying sail for crossing beam seas, like crossing Georgia Strait makes sense. We've crossed the Strait from Nanaimo to Smuggler Cove and from Garden Bay/Pender Harbour back to Nanaimo, which can get pretty gnarly at times. The whole idea behind switching from our prior sailboat to the A25 in the first place was to avoid need for mast raising. But it might be worth considering having the mast & sail setup along on our next trip to Desolation Sound, if only to have the mainsail set as a steadying sail without a head sail. Food for thought.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I agree. Those are the one set of circumstances in which having a mast and sail on an A25 would be worth the effort.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

greencoast, I'm hoping maybe we can meet up sometime next summer when we're up there. Maybe the three of us could get together, me, you, & Rick, aka WillieC. Wish you all could be here now, 83 deg & sunny out today. Where do you plan on keeping your new boat? In a slip in Bellingham or somewhere else? If all goes well we should be up there mid June. Would rather launch from Bellingham, but that free 60 day truck-trailer parking option is no longer available since apparently that overflow lot behind Redden's got sold and is being developed. So it's either launch from Blaine or find and pay extra for some offsite storage & take Uber or Lyft back to the boat.

Here's what our boat (and maybe yours too) would look like with mast installed. I'm just scared of the mast slipping and breaking the windshield when stepping it. If I get time this coming winter/spring I may experiment with setting up a mast raising system. Previous owners set up the the trailer to carry the mast & boom on top of the trailer frame rails. So we'll see. Right now the mast sits on sawhorses alongside the house.
00g0g_eO7LkvIAXJU_600x450.jpg
This somewhat low res camera phone shot taken at a stop in Salt Lake CIty as we were transporting the boat home from the previous owner's place in Idaho after we first bought it in 2014, & shows the mast strapped down to the trailer frame. Also gives a sense of how long the mast is, about 22 feet. Obviously the trailer hitch was too low, since corrected.
0305141748.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
BrookeMarie
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mobile, Alabama

Post by BrookeMarie »

The second to last picture is my exact boat, it was previously named “Radical Element.” Its asmall world. By the way I just temporarily removed all the sail rig. It will be stored while I renovate boat.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The second to last picture is my exact boat, it was previously named “Radical Element.” Its a small world.
"It's a small world after all"

Hate that song, just hate it. Just kidding.

So yes, you've got the same setup as us. I would think the best prospective buyer for a sail rig like yours would be someone who was home building a 20 to 22 foot sailboat from kit or plans. Worth a few hundred dollars anyway. But on the other hand, hanging on to it to pass on to a future owner might enhance the value of your boat if you can find a suitable place to store it. Like for instance we keep our mast on sawhorses alongside the house, since being out in the elements won't hurt it. I did another thread on mast raising & our experience trying it out.
20180312_080838_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
BrookeMarie
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mobile, Alabama

Post by BrookeMarie »

DesertAlbin736, I plan to hold on to my sail rig.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good for you!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F