• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Prop shaft replacement

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: A25 Prop shaft replacement

Post by dkirsop »

But the shaft log for the 30mm is larger than the shaft log for the 25mm which means a new custom fitted shaft seal and a new custom sized gutless and, and, and....
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 Prop shaft replacement

Post by WillieC »

So the knee-bone IS in fact connected to the leg-bone!

The bronze shaft log for the 30mm shaft is around 40mm, as I recall. A normal 'Murrrican gutless (thank you, dkirsop!) is 45 mm OD. To machine a normal cutlass down to press into the shaft log would leave it too thin. And how would one hold it in place. (Elsewhere, maybe in MD17C in A25, I described using a 30mm all rubber Beneteau cutlass for a mid shaft support so I have been part way around this block. That was a couple seasons ago and it is working superbly.) It did not occur to me that the earlier shaft log for the 25mm shafts would be smaller, but no, duh! Only makes sense.

Careful, careful hetek! The knee bone is in fact connected to the tibia. Details, details!

I have seen pictures of entire shaft logs being reglassed into the hull. Let's not be timid here! Replace that pink bronze log with composite tube and glass in a real cutlass holder!
(I am revising my original engine swap number up to 20 Large.)

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”