• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cockpit flooring.

Albin's "power cruisers"
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Cockpit flooring.

Post by Mark Deeser »

I considering replacing the old rubber floor covering from the pilot house to the aft cabin in my 27FC. I've tried but can not get it cleaned up, looks pretty rough. If any have undertaken this job I would sure enjoy some information. How hard was it to get up, what tools seemed best suited? What did you replace it with and were you happy with the results? The boat rehab seems to be reaching a stoping point and we are planning on some serious water time this Spring. Thanks for any advice you can give, have had many questions answered on this form.
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: Cockpit flooring.

Post by TorreyWP »

My cockpit floor is pretty rough too Mark.

Mine had a non skid surface that is just gel coat with some grit in it, that has started to peel off and come up in chunks. Luckily its also white underneath that non skid so its not super noticeable but the pieces that break off get tracked all over the rest of the boat. Crackers in bed..

You say your has a rubber material on the floor? I have not seen that sort of application but I bet if its rubber it was glued down somehow?

Im considering a product called Sea Dek for this area in my boat. http://www.seadek.com

I have applied it to a few boats in our yard, its very user friendly and not super expensive. It does require that the surface its being applied to is prepared correctly, more info on their site about that.

The boat came with a piece of in/out carpet that was cut to fit the floor in the cockpit area but it gets wet sometimes and is a pain to dry and keep clean. its serving a purpose for now but a project is not far way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

Im considering a product called Sea Dek for this area in my boat.
I had Seadek applied to my cockpit and swim platform a few weeks ago. Happy so far but I banned red wine on the boat for eternity :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Beautiful job but I like red wine! :)

I painted the cockpit sole for looks but then covered it with sound reducing foam pads and some indoor /outdoor carpet over the whole thing.
I bought the stuff from http://www.soundown.com/index_Marine.htm

Now my wife and I can hear each other over the 155 Isuzu!
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Thank you for the replys gentlemen , you have provided some vibable options, the planing moves on.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Redoing the cockpit and cabin soles is one of this year's aesthetic projects*.

After seeing the pix of Bearkley's A27 deck I was shamed into doing something about mine, which are pretty ugly. I am getting swatches of some decking materials for the "interior" decks that are non-slip, weatherproof, wine-proof and that don't need permanent sticking down. I'll build up the scupper drains first (to solve the age-old issue), paint the soles, then apply the decking.

Watch this space for updates - good or bad.

*FYI The other prettying-up projects are topside painting, non-slip renewal with KiwiGrip and getting a sparkling clean engine room (Whaaat!). Exec. Off. is away for a couple of weeks so I'll be a live aboard for a short while, get up early and get some stuff done (now Happy Harbour has a shiny new bar, time should fly).
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Bearkeley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Florida

Post by Bearkeley »

DCatSea wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:50 pm Redoing the cockpit and cabin soles is one of this year's aesthetic projects*.

After seeing the pix of Bearkley's A27 deck I was shamed into doing something about mine, which are pretty ugly. I am getting swatches of some decking materials for the "interior" decks that are non-slip, weatherproof, wine-proof and that don't need permanent sticking down. I'll build up the scupper drains first (to solve the age-old issue), paint the soles, then apply the decking.

Watch this space for updates - good or bad.

*FYI The other prettying-up projects are topside painting, non-slip renewal with KiwiGrip and getting a sparkling clean engine room (Whaaat!). Exec. Off. is away for a couple of weeks so I'll be a live aboard for a short while, get up early and get some stuff done (now Happy Harbour has a shiny new bar, time should fly).
Wow, Doug, you are doing a lot of work! Looking forward to seeing all the upgrades this summer! Be sure to dip the samples in a glass of red wine (not your good wine, of course!)
Former owner of the ‘Mary Jo'
1984 Albin 27FC (#74)
Hutchinson Island, Florida
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Excellent idea, especially with the red wine I generally buy, (BotaBox CabSauv) which would probably leave its mark on any but the hardiest of deck material including diamond steel.

Boat is laid up for now, but will be exposed to the elements (as will I) in the not too distant future.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”