• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where to run cables for anchor winch

Albin's "power cruisers"
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Where to run cables for anchor winch

Post by coolchange »

Hi all:
Any suggestions as to where to run the wires from the batteries to the bow? I am considering adding an anchor winch and have a "first guess" but would like to know what others have already done.

While you are here if you have a winch which one? Do you like it?
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: Where to run cables for anchor winch

Post by Norseman »

. While you are here if you have a winch which one? Do you like it?
I got a Lewmar 700 on the Albin 28TE, quite happy with it so far, no issues, previous owner added the windlass a few years ago, virtually brand new.

Previous boat, a GB 2770 had the same windlass but a different version, a so-called freefall model. I was not too happy with it, the “normal” version seems to fit my needs better..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

There should be a channel on the starboard side. Wiring was installed by Albin even when the boat was manufactured without the winch.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

The albin 27 didn't have any pre-installed wiring for a winch. I have a Lewmar Pro-fish which works great. I installed a separate battery (group 27) under the "V" berth and ran wires from my 3-bank charger to it rather than run very heavy cables from my battery banks to the bow. I ran #4 cable (about 6') from the battery to the solenoid and hooked the windlass directly to the solenoid using the windlass pigtails. I made a cetoled teak channel from the upper hole in the anchor locker bulkhead to the berth base to cover the wires in the forecabin. Looks like it belongs there. You can mount the windlass breaker right next to the batt. for ease of access. The wires don't even get warm when I use the windlass. Ben
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Elegant solution, Ben,

Would love to see some pix of your installation..
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

So, FYI my solution was to get a 1/2inch plumbing "snake" and push it with a string attached and one wire through the drain hole under the steps, through the keel, to the bow storage and from there vertically through the shelf(s) to attach to the winch wires coming aft from the anchor locker. When I pulled the snake back out I pulled the second wire. (String not needed and most likely could have sent both wires at once)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

Code: Select all

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxVfBW7M-Y
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rbxVfBW7M-Y

I got the Lewmat Pro550. Not being the elegant type, I ran the wires along the stbd shelving, through the stbd cupboard, and epoxied the electrical thingy on a piece of wood on the ceiling of the anchor locker, close enough to the winch to satisfy 5e puny wires leading from the winch body. I bought an inexpensive up-off-down switch from amazon and simply leave it coiled inside the cupboard, to pass up through the fwd hatch when needed. Also have a helm switch of course.

Having trouble putting the video in. Maybe copy and paste to see it?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”