• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help! Water in rudder A-25

Albin's "power cruisers"
BCboater
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Help! Water in rudder A-25

Post by BCboater »

I have the rudder off my Albin 25 to replace the prop shaft seal and noticed blackish water leaking out of the rudder itself. So, I believe that water has gotten into the rudder. This is a concern because it may corrode the shaft and attachments inside. Does anyone have an info on how to analyze this problem or an DIY for rebuilding the rudder? Thanks!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Help! Water in rudder A-25

Post by dkirsop »

I don't think you will have much to worry about corrosion wise as all the steel components are stainless. Provided delimitation has not occurred the repair is fairly straight forward. To test for delamination strike the surface of the rudder with a hammer at several locations. It should sound solid and firm. If there are any soft spots then repair is more complicated.

Hopefully, you are able to find the entry point. Presumably where the moisture is escaping. If it is obvious drill a small hole in the surface at this location. At a point higher up drill a second hole and use compressed air to force the moisture out. If the entry point is above the low point of the rudder then drill another hole at the low point and again use compressed air to blow the water out.

Next apply a steady low temperature heat to the rudder for about a week or more to drive any residual moisture out. A head lamp would be good for this purpose.

Next, use a moisture meter to check that there is no more moisture in the rudder. Phil brooks or Canoe Cove can likely do this for you. Once it is dry then seal the holes with a fibreglass patch.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Heat lamp - damned spell check! Same for delamination.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I wonder, could it be the seam along the edges splitting? Bring it down here to AZ and let it dry out for a few weeks in 25*C to 35*C desert heat & 10% humidity. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Mine looked pretty bad, too, though it wasn't oozing any black water. I didn't go to all the trouble of drying it with my head lice (damn spellcheck!) though that is a good idea. I think the way they were made was probably in two halves so the shaft could be installed. The mating of the two halves is the weak spot. Mine had gaps and cracks around much of the perimeter. I just glued it back together with various mixes of epoxy and held it with clamps, then finished off the edges with same. This was about the time I did the bottom paint, so I experimented using a grinder to remove paint from the rudder to see how much work I was in for on the hull bottom. A great place to practice and easy to repair. I did not use the grinder on the hull. Too aggressive.
BCboater
Mate
Mate

Post by BCboater »

Thanks everyone! It turned out that only a few drops, maybe 0.10 ml came out, right around where the rudder shaft comes out of the rudder at the bottom. I'm drying it out in the oven now, will see about re-sealing it. I don't see any noticeable cracking or separation, there are a couple of less sound areas when tapped with a small hammer. Has anyone actually taken apart a rudder from an older Albin 25? The manual says they are made of fiber glass, if it is solid that's one thing, if it has a wood or foam core, that's another.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Has anyone actually taken apart a rudder from an older Albin 25? The manual says they are made of fiber glass, if it is solid that's one thing, if it has a wood or foam core, that's another.
No, but my guess is it could be cored with the same type of foam as cabin top & has an embedded stainless (or mild?) steel frame.

I'm certainly no expert, but this article by Don Casey from Sail Magazine (A25 rudders appear to be built similar to spade type sailboat rudders) should be helpful in understanding the issue and formulating a preventive maintenance strategy & repair plan if necessary.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/know-your-rudder

And another here, if it comes to rebuilding the rudder.

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/r ... er-part-1/:

Use the arrows under the title to go from Part 1 to Part 2 and beyond.

Food for thought, another PM item to check on our boat.

Good luck & maybe we'll have a chance to meet up when we're up there headed for Desolation Sound this coming summer.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I doubt it is cored. That thing is heavy. While you are at it, replace the upper lip seal and tell me how to do it! And where to get a replacement. Ha!

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”