• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transducer mount A27

Albin's "power cruisers"
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Transducer mount A27

Post by Randall »

I would like to mount my Hawkeye transducer to shoot thru hull but cannot get a reading.
Anyone have luck with inboard mounting in A27 hull? Thanks, Randall, A27 Manatee in North Fort Myers, Florida
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Transdocer mount A27

Post by tego »

Randall, I mounted mine in the keel cavity, below the fwd engine room bulkhead. It works great. Mine is an '87 FC and is cored hull from the gunnel to the top of the keel. The Xducers don't shoot thru a cored hull, so you have to find a spot that is solid glass or make a solid glass spot by removing the core, which isn't that hard, but is better done out of the water. The keel is not cored anywhere along its' length. I simply put a gob of silicone (without any bubbles in it) on a clean spot on the bottom of the keel and rolled the transducer onto it and pushed down to contact the face of the keel bottom. You need enough silicone to roll up on all 4 sides of the transducer face. You can check it immediately, to ensure it's working properly. If it's good, let it cure without tilting over any and you're good to go. You can do this anywhere along the keel bottom but I didn't want it in my "working area" of the bilge. Ben
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

smear the face with ky jelly and push it against the hull to make sure you can get a reading, when you find a spot that works, clean everything up and do as tego suggested.
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

Thank you Ben. I will try the bilge location on my '86. Randall
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Under the cover beneath the hanging locker there is a flat section of the keel which isn't cored and is wide enough to mount a transducer. I put mine there. I used an adapter filled with mineral oil and my Garmin 740S never went 'off soundings' . . . . but then I don't think we were ever in water deeper than 100 feet or so

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

Don; when you say "adapter" filled with mineral oil, what is the adapter? Thanks, Randall
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Search

Airmar P79
adjustable
in-hull

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Airmar-P7 ... B00J4Z81Q2

I have this installation as well, it works great
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Yes, mine was the Airmar P79 also
Don't recall if I did this before Jay or after

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay Knoll »

Don

You did it before me, you were very gracious with your advice when I changed out my unit (the old one was mounted outboard of the keel on the port side in the engine compartment) same mount, but when I put the new transducer into the old mounting unit it didn't work. You told me about your installation and after doing the KY test I installed the mounting unit, it works great

Jay
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Re: Transducer mount A27

Post by Randall »

I assume Vasoline can substitute for KY jelly? Randall

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”