• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

any members in the UK?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: any members in the UK?

Post by Tree »

You’re only round the corner from me. I work in Gosport and the boat was berthed in premier until last year 👍🏻
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

Post by realslimshady »

Indeed I am-my boat is in Quay Lane boatyard just up from Hardway, just got back from there. Have to get together for a chat one day!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Literally five minutes from my workshop then!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

You blokes may know this for sure; Is the Albin 28TE CE approved?
I have no documentation on it, but a placard in the boat mentions CE class B.
Not sure what it means in this case, but previously friends from the old country have come to Florida to buy sailboats: Quite an ordeal to get the CE approval, change the engine, do measurement and document stability testing, etc.
If the A 28TE is already CE approved it would make it easy to sell boats to Europe, especially if the mighty US Dollar goes down in value compared to the Euro.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

When I shipped mine in, I had it CE approved. Any boats prior to 1996 don’t require it as that is when the legislation came into force.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

realslimshady wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:15 pm Indeed I am-my boat is in Quay Lane boatyard just up from Hardway, just got back from there. Have to get together for a chat one day!
Are you still in the yard? I've just been over that way to the cafe but didn't think about going in and having a look about.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

realslimshady wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:15 pm Indeed I am-my boat is in Quay Lane boatyard just up from Hardway, just got back from there. Have to get together for a chat one day!
Are you still in the yard? I've just been over that way to the cafe but didn't think about going in and having a look about.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

Hi, yes, at the far end of the central pontoon. Was down there yesterday evening fighting with the electrics....
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Upholstery looks in too new condition to be the original. The Albin 25 sales brochure shows an orange-ish solid color upholstery, although I don't know whether there were more color & pattern options available at the time.
20180721_195044.jpg
However, this cutaway rendering of an Albin 30 (a boat rarely if ever seen) courtesy of the Albineers of BC site shows plaid material very similar to the pattern in your boat. So who knows? I just wish newer versions of boats like these were more available on this side of the pond.
Albin30CutawayView.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Not in UK, but originally from UK (Windsor), and have a pension to prove it. Very familiar with Gosport, having spent quite a lot of time at Dolphin. I've stumbled out of the greasy spoon on the way to Haslar (aka Hurricane) Bridge many a time.

Saw your impressive pic of the Albin nameplate, and thought you might be interested in this rather super Albin hat (see link). Website (in Sweden) seems to be a good place to get Albin-bits and bobs. Stefan is very responsive, and may be a very good source for other Albin (Swedish) information. (His English may be better than mine).

On a slightly different tack - check out "Smacksman" on the AOG; he's a fellow Brit (lives in Hampshire as well, I think) who bought a 27FC pretty much sight unseen on Craiglist and took her down to Florida from upstate New York. He posted a great series of vids covering his trip.

http://mmd.nu/shop233/catalog/product_i ... a74e8d49ea
and
http://www.albinmotor.com/AlbinMotor/english/index.html
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hull number 138 would make it a 1969 model. As noted above, boats built for the 1969 model year ranged from hull numbers 1 to 142. This is according to the Albin 25 history posted on the BC Albineer site:

http://www.albinbc.com/home/albin-25-history
The Albin 25 was built in Kristinehamn, a small town on the shores of Lake Vänern in south-eastern Sweden. Between 1968 and about 1981 Albin Marine built over 2,000 of the 25s. For most of those years there was a wholly British-owned subsidiary, Albin UK, based on the Hamble and as a result some 200-300 25s were brought into the UK, making it one of the most popular imported motor cruisers. A number were bought by the Highlands and Islands Development Board for hire operations.

Not sure what the series 2 number means, but perhaps it has something do with the UK subsidiary, as noted in the Albin 25 history? If so, perhaps there's a separate series of hull numbers for UK boats and indeed 138 could be 1971? It's also interesting to note the difference in the brass nameplate castings compared to the one in my boat shown above. Yours has a crosshatch pattern background painted black with "Albin 25" at the top and the Albin logo off to the side with the "Ser" and "No" stampings on the second line, and the "Albin Motor AB" and "Kristenham, Sweden" on the bottom two lines. On mine, which is a rougher casting and I presume is a later one, has "ALBIN MOTOR AB" in all caps as the top line, "KRISTENHAM SWEDEN" on the second line, also in all caps, the word ALBIN next to the space to stamp the model "A-25" and SER on the third line. On mine the SER is left blank. On the fourth line is "NO" and the space to stamp the hull number, and AR with Swedish accent mark over the A and space for another stamped letter or number, which is also left blank on mine.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

DCatSea-have just received an oil pressure switch, fuel pump repair kit and cap(!) from Stefan-very helpful and arrived in three days :-)
DesertAlbin-think mine must be 1971 year as the literature supplied with it for the AD21 refers to the 'modern' engine being of '71 vintage... :-)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Makes sense. Intriguing that the UK boats might actually be designated "Series 2" and have a separate series of low hull numbers, because otherwise 1971 model year boats should have hull numbers running between 665 & 1126. Next time you correspond with Stefan you should as him about that.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Realslimshady

Glad that worked out for you. I'm waiting for my hat to fly across the pond.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

Don't want to hijack the thread but as posted on another thread in the electronics forum, I too have this strange "Ser. 2" plate and have been wondering about the exact year model:
albin_serial.jpg
PO and other sources tell me it's 1971 but no one is able give any explanation how they come up with that since as was mentioned it does not match the list on the Albineers of BC history page. This boat has AFAIK been living in Sweden/Finland all it's life (although how would I know, lots of previous owners I'd guess...).

It does have the wall/cabinet bow side of the engine instead of a big hole, does that mean something relating to the manufacturing year?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”