• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

any members in the UK?

Albin's "power cruisers"
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pedrogao Grande, central Portugal

any members in the UK?

Post by realslimshady »

Hi all
I joined the forum back in October after buying my '25 and have been keeping up with things ever since-but I've not noticed anyone on here who isn't in North America, I was wondering if there are any other UK based Albin owners??
Another question-I'm sure this has been answered many times-the plate under my steering wheel reads
'Ser 2 No 138'- can someone tell me what this means?
I currently have a shopping list of 'things to do' as long as my arm, but she's serviceable so take every opportunity for a little cruise (an hour today) and to practise my handling skills (or lack thereof :-))
Looking forward to my first weekend away once the warmer weather arrives.
Martin
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: any members in the UK?

Post by Norseman »

Meh thinks there is a member in Surrey and one in Scotland..
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I seem to recall one in Portsmouth or is that in the Facebook akin group? There’s a good Facebook Albin 25 Ireland page
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Hello. Wrong boat though but yes there is a few owners here with the A25
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Hortense
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Windsor England

Post by Hortense »

Hi Norseman
I have a project boat in Windsor - my second Albin 25 - separated by 25 years.
I have yet to launch her and am working on a refit of the interior before repainting the top sides for this season.
Regards
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

Hi realslimshady, I'm in Boston on The Wash, North Norfolk and Lincolnshire coast with a A25. There`s another A25 up here but he`s not on this site.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Ser 2 No 138'- can someone tell me what this means?
We're in the American desert Southwest so I can't help with your main question. I've never been to the UK but my wife and her adult children have & are total Anglophiles. Hope to get there myself someday.

As for the brass nameplate that's the hull serial number. Ours looks like this:
DSCN3677.JPG
Not quite sure what the "SER" portion means, perhaps series, Series 1 being the early full displacement and Series 2 being the semi displacement DeLuxe version? As you can see with my brass plate the 'SER" portion was left blank.

However, the page relating A25 history on the Canadian "Albineers of BC" site reads thus:
Between 1968 and about 1981 Albin Marine built over 2,000 of the 25s. For most of those years there was a wholly British-owned subsidiary, Albin UK, based on the Hamble and as a result some 200-300 25s were brought into the UK, making it one of the most popular imported motor cruisers. A number were bought by the Highlands and Islands Development Board for hire operations.
http://www.albinbc.com/home/albin-25-history

Now your boat possibly being among those imported by the Albin UK subsidiary might account for the "SER 2" designation & perhaps denotes a separate series of hull numbers? If in fact it's part of the main number series then 138 would make it a very early 1969 model, in which case it would be the full displacement hull & not the later DeLuxe ones with the flared bottom at the stern like this 1977 model.
Albin (1280x960).jpg
Hope that helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

Picture 218.jpg
This is my boat-as I'm far from being an expert, maybe it will help with what sort of hull she has-I'm assuming it's the later type? I shall have to have a read of that article :-) Martin
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Sure looks like the earlier type, no downward curve at stern. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Looking at mine on the trailer right now.

I am thinking we may be making a bit much of not a big thing. I have read that the earlier models tended to ride nose up, but is that because of trim, boat loading, and a heavy hand trying to go 6.25 kts instead of 6? The engine may also be a clue. They got away from the AD21 and went to the Volvo Pentas on the newer models. And not many of them, of either stripe, left original. With notable exceptions. Hats off to you AD restorers.

I also understand that the DeLuxe model is more nicely finished. Hey! They're over 45 years old! Fit 'em out how you like! I ripped out the worthless icebox but salvaged the formica cover to repair a botched stove upgrade a few owners back. But I do that because I am cheap, not because I want all original.

The port exhaust location is opposite, my number is 1585, but DA's is there and his is newer than mine by a few years. (Edit: DA736 means his is about twice as old as mine, in Albin years. NOT newer. It's a math thing.)

Good looking boat, I especially love the rub rail.
Last edited by WillieC on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

well she's got the AD21 engine, so looks like she is the earlier type, and the interior doesn't seem to have been hacked about at all, which is nice. I'm going to put an electric pump in the freshwater system rather than the little mechanical foot types, but apart from that (and some curtains!) don't really want to change anything-oh! Apart from the helm seat. Going to fit a single one so the engine cover can be lifted without having to unbolt the seat first-not a great design aspect :-)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Ah, yes. The engine cover is another dead giveaway. I haven't seen the old style up close to really compare notes. Hope to get up to BC this summer and maybe see some. I swapped my old Volvo Penta with a slightly newer one and made a front engine access cover thru the pantry closet. Sort of like how Batman gets into the bat cave from Wayne Manor, but not quite.

Post some pics when you can and maybe start a new thread now that you are an owner, and we'll leave this topic for other UKers to weigh in.

Nice find!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

It's relatively easy to modify the existing seat so it folds up out of the way. Lots of owners out my way have done this. Here is what I did for my boat but there are lots of variations out there. [url]viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10092/url]
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Very nice. Yes, that is the early model alright, & #138 makes it a VERY early model, which puts it toward the latter part of the 1969 production year, one of the oldest we've seen show up on the forum.
DSCN3631.JPG
Mine also has exhaust pipe on port side. Come to think of it, that may be due to the early AD21 engine & then later boats were switched to starboard exhaust with the change to Volvo engines?
From the BC Albineers site:
Year Manufactured to Serial Number Ranges

1969 Hull number 1-142

1970 Hull number 143-664

1971 Hull number 665-1126

1972 Hull number 1127-1363

1973 Hull number 1364-1854

1974 Hull number 1855-2025

1975 Hull number 2026-2489

1976 Hull number 2490-2624

1977 Hull number 2625-2795

By the way, that pair of shiny posts just ahead of the aft cabin window looks like the original teak bar deck cleat with the teak dowel missing. They're supposed to look like this:
Deck cleat.jpg
Replacements are still available either through Plastimo or Foresti Suardi. Not cheap though, but you can buy just the teak bar since you already have the posts. To replace the bar you'll need to unbolt posts from underneath the deck to access the set screws that hold the bars in place.
In the Plastimo catalog they are listed as "Teak and chrome plated bronze bollards" & should be available in the UK.
teakbronzebollard.jpg
https://www.plastimo.com/en/taquet-teck ... -9872.html

Not only that, but many boats also had one of these teak bollards mounted on the transom like this, with the chrome/bronze posts at the ends to make a grab handle for climbing up on a swim platform. And of course a swim platform like this is very handy. Even if you don't plan to swim, they're great for boarding dinghies.
20160820_103628.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I have the posts. fitted them with 3/4" pvc pipe and endcaps with a stainless rod encased within. PITA and will redo at some point. When we bought her, she had what looked like sunlight deteriorated plastic rods. When the step at the stern broke in two, that's when I addressed it. We used to tie the dink onto that thing. Hmmm...
realslimshady
First Mate
First Mate

Post by realslimshady »

Thanks for the info DesertAlbin :-) I was thinking mine must be an early one. The data plate is so worn it's barely legible-
Also, that is the only station where the teak dowel is missing-all the other ones are there. It's on my to-do list!
I also believe she has the original upholstery in the forecabin
As glimpsed in this shot.
So, off down to Gosport now to crack on :D

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”