• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thru Hulls on Albin 27 FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Thru Hulls on Albin 27 FC

Post by blandc »

Does anyone have a plan showing all the thru hulls on a 1984 Albin 27 FC? I have just bought one and simply can't figure out how water is getting into the bilge(s)? The stuffing box isn't leaking (NOW), and I have crawled all over the boat looking for possible ways water can get into the bilge, but water is still accumulating in the forward bilge and in the aft bilge! I'm at a loss and figure I must be missing some point of entry????
Thanks very much for any information/suggestions?
chuck bland
Beaufort, NC
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: Thru Hulls on Albin 27 FC

Post by WillieC »

Check the windows? I had a leaky seal on our A25 that took quite a circuitous route and finally made it to the bilge. I watched it before I fixed it, was able to trap much of it in a small bucket and was amazed at how much came in.

Also, check the fuel fill hole. well any bedded items on the deck. We also took on gallons at a propane locker low/ overflow vent, but most of that was in rough water.

Sorry, not A27 specific, just my observations that are pretty generic to any boat.

And welcome aboard!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is a boat kept in the water? If so, what about your prop shaft stuffing box? What about rain water? Condensation? Beaufort recorded 0.82 inches of rain last month. From what I hear (not gospel) A27's are supposedly known for window leaks.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

The aft bilge leak is almost always the rudder shaft seal. It's not far above the waterline and wave action will 'pump' in small amounts of water which eventually turns into gallons in the aft bilge. A previous owner 'solved' the problem by putting a tiny bilge pump beside the rudder shaft and drilled a new hole in the transom for it's hose. Repacking that seal solved the actual problem on my boat and that now useless bilge pump went into the junk box

On mine, the main engine room bilge pump hose thru hull was plastic, close to the waterline and due to a ridge in the hull just below the plastic fitting, when they tightened the nut inside the boat, the plastic fitting cracked about 2/3rds of the way around - Obviously had been that way from the factory. How it hadn't sunk the boat before I bought it is a real mystery

In my opinion, when you buy a 30 year old boat, one of the first things you should do at the very first haul out is to remove and rebed every thru hull and carefully examine all your seacocks. You will probably find a few which need replacement and probably a few hoses which are well outside their useful service life. A few hours of preventative maintenance can save you from major problems later on

There are 3 basic types of thru hull fittings. Plastic, Marelon (which is a fiber reinforced plastic) and Bronze. My boat had many cheapo plastic fittings and I got rid of them all - Trusting my life to 35 or 40 year old plastic bits just didn't seem like a good idea

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

Some awesome tips so far.

One other suggestion, check your pressurized fresh water system and associated plumbing, tank, hot water tank if you have one..etc. Could be a leak somewhere in that system.

Other than that, you may be spending some more time in the bilge closely examining other suggested sources. If possible have an assistant spray the boat deck and topsides with a hose while you crawl around with a flashlight.

Better yet, grab a cold six on a rainy day and get to know your new boat.

Let us know your findings, best of luck and welcome to the group!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I'm currently working my way through the boat in an attempt to understand a few of its idiosyncrasies. Thanks to Don, I now understand a bit more about the aft bilge and why it is there. On my boat, a hole has been drilled to connect the aft bilge to the bilge in the engine room. That takes care of the small amount of water that comes in there, but now I've got to have a go at the rudder shaft seal.................
Sooooo, does anyone know the purpose of the forward bilge???? The only thing I can figure is that it was put there to serve as the sump for the shower? However, even though we don't use the shower, water still seems to be accumulating in that area? It's a mystery to me, however, an electrician who was just working on the bilge pump for that area concluded that the screw holding down the pump actually went through the hull of the boat and let water in every time he removed it? I told him I didn't think this was possible as the boat has a keel that runs most of the length of the centerline of the boat. Oh well, the joys of owning an old boat. Adding to my confusion is the fact that I have spent my entire life owning sailboats and am only now at the age of 75 trying to learn a slightly different beast..............I must say, however, that my boat must be fairly sound, or the previous owner very lucky, as just before I bought it he took her for a three month cruise from Beaufort, NC to Montreal, Canada and back.......................
Thanks again for your comments. And, does anyone know where one might get there hands on the original plans for the '84 27FC? Sure hope this is the last cold front of the season!!!!!!! Chuck
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Chuck, I don't think there are any " plans" on an 84 27 anymore. I don't think any two of them were built the same anyway. They were built in three different yards in 83-84, by three different crews and they modified them as they went along. Add to that fact that over 34 years, many owners have modified them also. I think you just have to see what you actually have now and go from there. Water gets to the bilge from the anchor locker, from every deck fitting, handrail, portlite, bowrail base, and seal breach of the rubrail on the boat. That danged water sneaks in and runs down behind the hull liner to the bilge, but never in a straight line from the original leak. Saying that, after 4 years of ownership, I love my boat! Mine is an '87 with MANY differences from the original. If your forward bilge access is under the hanging locker, I don't doubt that electricians assessment. That's the bottom of the keel your PO mounted his bilge pump on and it's only about 3/8-1/2" thick there. A screw could easily penetrate the bottom of the keel or cause a crack there. I worked on a lot of boats professionally, from about 18-250' and nothing surprises me anymore. Better check it out the next time you're hauled out. You have to remember that our boats were designed to be entry-level boats for newbys, and they did a lot of "not-so-smart" things during their ownership. Our design is great, the execution was not always so. Good Luck, Ben
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Ben, Thanks so much for your comments! I'll definitely keep an eye on what is going on with that bilge; and, yes, it is under the hanging locker. Plus, you are soooo right about the changes over 34 years; the electrical system on this little boat is unbelievable......... chuck
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Blandc These boats leak a lot. I have an early 1984 I believe. Your front bilge leak could be coming from the forward pilot house windows. It could be the forward cabin windows to. If you have a middle opening pilot house window that leaks to. If it doesn't leak let me know how it was fixed. I know my boat leaked a lot. I ended up rebedding everything only thing I couldn't do was the mid boat cleats. Around the outside of your headliner do you see rotten wood? Good luck we all have been through this. There's a lot of great people here with a lot of knowledge. Everyone sure helped me get my boat back on the water. Good luck Chris
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Chuck, At least you're still calling the electrics a "system" instead of " That gawdawful wiring mess". Very few owners pull the old wiring when they install replacement equipment, as you are apparently finding out. If you want to talk "Albin 27" , I'm available most any time and it's my favorite subject. Feel free to call (865)233-3621. We're both "old farts" and almost neighbors. Ben
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Chris and Ben, Thanks so much for your thoughts, comments, and offers to help!
Ben, There is no longer a headliner on this boat; the exposed fiberglass has just been painted battleship grey. I'm going to brighten that up when the weather warms up a bit. Luckily, all the opening ports in the forward cabin have been replaced with new, well-sealed ports. The center window in the pilot house still leaks. I'll let you know if I figure out a way to stop it. The previous owner simply put a little plastic container at each corner...............
Ben, Almost neighbors is right, plus, my brother lives in Gatlinburg. I'll definitely give you a ring if I get stymied. Us "old farts" have to stick together............. Thanks again, chuck
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

A contributing members website with lots of great old documentation, photos and thoughts on the 27:

http://motorcityboatwerks.weebly.com/albin-27fc.html
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

One way to isolate sources of leaks is to lay pieces of toilet tissue in suspected areas. If there's a leak it should give an indication on the toilet paper.
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks to all, I'm making some progress. Now, if the wind will just die down so I don't feel as if I am inside a washing machine.................
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

Bought My '86 FC in January of this year and all the portholes leaked. My remedy was to loosen the 2 nut/bolt combinations on top of each window and lower window onto a feeler gage or some other thin object and found half the windows did not meet the gasket all away around. After checking and leveling, I tightened nut/bolt but not before cleaning the inside of window and gasket with rubbing alcohol and applying vasoline to both the gasket and inside window. Also used vasoline on thumb screw threads which made it easier to apply equal pressure when closing. All this because I could not install that marvel of engineering "Beckson gaskets.
This post may not help eliminate your bilge water but good food for future thought. Good luck. Randy '86 FC "Manatee" out of North Fort Myers, Fl

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”