• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My Craigslist A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port St. John, FL

Re: My cl A25

Post by ednlorna »

I'm no welder, but these seem a bit sloppy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Cutting wheel is perfect. Those welds look like something I would do:) I do know you don't want to breathe the fumes which result from welding galvanized steel.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Notice the clamping system over the square post on my V bunk which uses U-bolts to hold the post to the frame. You can probably buy that kind of system for your posts at ETrailer.com
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

A sawzall with good long metal cutting blades. Clean it up with a grinder. Then again, it's never too late to learn new skills. But a little skill with a torch under the boat is prudent. Paint newly cut galvanized with cold galv in a spray can when you grind it down to where you want it.

I am amazed at how little welding, if any, is on my trailer. Like much of what I continue to learn about boat ownership, with a little bit of gumption and cautious use of the internet, we DIY guys can go far. Sometimes we get it right.

My comments about having the sacrificial zinc were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'd have preferred to NOT have dragged anything. Lots of folks use bullet shaped zincs/anodes on the skeg, which would slide easier and still act as a "curb feeler". I just have to watch elevation changes more closely. Cruising down the freeway is no problem.

You do have the 90 degree fitting that attaches the rudder to the skeg, correct? Those positions are very fixed. Also consider servicing your rudder seal while the boat is high enough off the ground.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756&p=70074&hili ... eal#p70074

Here's another link to my bottom paint job and removing the boat from the trailer.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9903&hilit=removin ... om+trailer

Be safe!
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

kerrye, I studied the clamping u-bolt set-up and if I can get the right size, I'll go that route. It seems straight forward enough, but I'm learning that projects that seem straight forward in my mind's eye never go as planned!
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

WillieC posted: "My comments about having the sacrificial zinc were somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I'd have preferred to NOT have dragged anything."

Yeah, I knew. I would still like a recommendation (or two) on what you guys think is a good trailering height for the lower stern end of the A 25.

No, I do not have the missing 90 degree connector for the rudder to skeg. The Albin came out of the water just like that. Even a raw recruit such as myself knew that weren't right! Another item to the fix it list. I wonder if those can be purchased or need to be fabricated?

I just watched that Jamestown Distributors video yesterday while researching what to do. It's a great video! I love JD and am a subscriber to their YouTube channel.

Thanks for the links to your previous work! Now I know a thing or two, like not to drive off the road after it rains in the Southwest!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The 90 degree connector is called a pipe head and is available here

http://mmd.nu/shop233/catalog/product_i ... f04aeace06
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Dave is good! Hear ye him! I was thinking that if you lost that piece you'd have to scrap the boat.

Several of us have purchased parts from albinmotors with great results. Don't freak at the 1300 price. BOAMSEK as they say in Sweden.
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

1,300 Swedish Krona, I wonder how much that is in 'merikan money?

"BOAMSEK"?
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

$154.73 USD

Thanks for the link, dkirsop!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Bring Out Another Million SEK. (Swedish krona)
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

:lol:
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

I’m interested in #1220’s stern.
I have #1222 and it appears to be a transition stern from full displacement to the eventual semi displacement stern hull shape.
Ive attached a picture of 1222’s shape
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Yes, that curve is a definite missing link.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Surprising that there were transitional steps. It would be interesting to know the sea trial results which moved the transitions along. Or did the mold get damage and the first repair wasn't successful?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”