• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My Craigslist A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: My cl A25

Post by kerrye »

I asked Bengt Kampe on the Facebook Albin 25 and 27 group if he knows anything about this matter. He used to work for Albin back in the day.
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

Here is a straight on stern pic of 1222

I don’t want to hijack 1220’s thread....but curious what his stern looks like, as well as say, 1225’s ?

Keep us posted with pics of your restoration on 1220!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That must have been an early iteration of transitioning to a semi-displacement "DeLuxe" hull design and is definitely unusual. Another "weirdness" with your boat is the squared off trailing edge of the rudder. Also, your hull #1222 retains the exhaust outlet on the port side, which may indicate the use of the early AD21 engines vs later Volvos when they moved the exhaust over to the starboard side.

Contrast yours to this 1977 boat (hull number unknown). I don't have a straight on stern view of this boat (which we almost bought in 2012 but ended up passing on it but was my intro into the world of Albin 25's), but you can see the difference. One of things that freaked me out about the 1977 boat was how low the exhaust outlet was, actually below the waterline.
Albin (1280x960).jpg
You can also see that the 1977 rudder was made longer & sticks out past the end of the hull more than earlier pre-1973 boats like mine.
DSCN3631.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port St. John, FL

Post by ednlorna »

FrankeD,

My A 25 Hull #1220 seems to be the same as your Hull #1222. Here are some snaps:
Last edited by ednlorna on Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

I spoke too soon, check out the forward looking shot of 1220's stern:
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

The side views seem very similar. I was contemplating positioning 1220 on the trailer with the last bow roller (not installed yet in the photo, it will go where that black starboard is now) just where that angle starts.

The two hulls are strikingly different in the stern forward shots. 1222 seems to have a flattened dead rise and the rudder is really thick. Maybe an after production repair or modification?
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

More photos:
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

The hose in the last pic is a bilge hose.

I noticed the current bilge pump was not working after one of our Florida deluges. So I installed a new Johnson Controls (made in America) bilge pump and separate Johnson Controls float switch, hooked up to 11 feet of bilge hose with back flow preventer rubber insert. Since the boat is sitting in a bow down position, the Johnson Controls bilge pump is in the forward bilge. The bilge pump is hard wired to a new battery along with a Schumacher Solar battery maintainer.

I should have hooked to the sink discharge through hull. Maybe I will switch to that so the water doesn't have so much lift height.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Raise the tongue a bit, if you are able to, not sure where you are in trailer reconfiguration, and open the keel drain plug. You have found it, right?
ednlorna
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ednlorna »

Not yet. I have been distracted by a painful bout of sciatica, but as soon as I feel up to climbing aboard I'll take a look.

Thanks for the reminder.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Sorry to hear about that! Ain't it fun getting...let's just say "maturing".
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Keel drain plug is external. No need to climb aboard but you will need to bend down. Port side of keel about 3-4' forward of the aft end right at the bottom. Mine has a hex nut. If it hasn't been opened in a while you'll probably have to run a piece of wire or something in to it to clean out the accumulated gunk.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

That is an awful fine metric thread on that thing. I worry about losing it. anybody know what thread it is and where one might get a replacement? (Sorry about the mini-hijack.)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That is an awful fine metric thread on that thing. I worry about losing it. anybody know what thread it is and where one might get a replacement? (Sorry about the mini-hijack.)
My thoughts too. Falls in the "if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it", and "let sleeping dogs lie" category. Of course we're in a situation here where it almost never rains, and so hot & dry that any bit of bilge water that the pump doesn't get evaporates in a day or two.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Steve, you are correct. I would get a spare plug and promptly lose it by placing it somewhere safe.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”