• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Getting stuffed

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Re: Getting stuffed

Post by Sunsetrider »

It sounds like I should dismantle it to check on the condition of things inside. (I hate it when that happens,)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

If it is not leaking then it's fine. Just keep a piece of oil absorbent pad under the seal and see if any marking occurs. If it does just keep an eye on the lubrication. These seals won't undergo catastrophic failure. A worn seal can still perform well for a couple of years with just the occasional addition of a soft grease. But I would recommend against using the grease nipple, they are not designed to be pressurized.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

It sounds like liquid lubricant would be best - SAE 75W-90 hypoid gear oil or something similar. Loosen the clamps, remove the plug, fill it to the top and then turn the seal 90 degrees and let whatever oil wants to run out, then put the plug back in, turn it vertical again and retighten the clamps. That way you'll know it's half full and not over or under filled

I've never used this particular seal, but every other 'dripless shaft seal' I've used all mention that water cooling is a must, so burping it sounds like a very good idea, especially for trailer boaters. The seal I bought for my A27 had a 'vent tube' built in so it had a way to get any trapped air out from behind the seal without having to manually burp it

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

All good ideas - thanks. Still unsure why there is a grease nipple if it’s unwise to use it. Maybe when I burp it I will be able to determine the interior condition somewhat. Or when I discover what the “plug” is.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Don't fill it to the top! That will guarantee problems. Half-full only at maximum. In this case less is definitely better than more.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

I have what appears to be the same brand of Dripless Shaft Seal in our 1976 Albin-25 Deluxe, and i too, have never done anything to it in the 7 years we've owned the boat. Does anyone know what brand the seal is? I have no documentation which might tell me where to go for details concerning maintenance.

We have a problem which urgently needs to be dealt with; a leak which will fill the bilge almost to the floorboards over 24 hours, were it not for the bilge pumps. In a month or so we will be able to launch in our local river and look for the leak, starting with a dry bilge.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Is the leak from the shaft seal? Based on what I have learned, there are two seals in the system which can be removed and replaced once the whole seal is removed from the shaft. Those seals are typically available at local (bearing?) suppliers according to what I've been told. Is the bilge plug sealed tightly?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

PS: Our Albin lives on it's trailer.
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Can't seem to get the photo posting procedure to work here. (never have a prob with other forums) Is there any possibility that the shaft seal shown in the OP is original equipment? A look through miscl paperwork, manuals, and product literature that came with my boat does not reveal anything concerning a new shaft seal.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Nick, is yours the same as mine as in my first post?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Wow, that's a lot of water! You have probably already looked at through hulls and sea cocks so I won't go there. Given the amount of water the first thing I would look at is the wet exhaust system - from the engine manifold back to the transom. Make sure the hose is intact and all connections are tight. Look for hot spots, check for cracks in elbow where the hose connects to the engine, make sure all clamps are tight and that the connection at the transom discharge is solid. Rig your engine so you can run it on the trailer and look for leaks.

The original Albin shaft seal was probably made by Albin. They used to manufacture industrial pumps and engines before they made boats. Not much to add on what has already been said on this thread in terms of information. I'll post a picture of mine in a bit. If you are going to take this seal off you will have to also drop the rudder in order to slide the shaft back enough to remove the seal - the rudder shaft is another potential leak. If you can't source replacement seals locally they are available from Albin Motor in Sweden.

The rudder shaft seal consists of a small O-ring near the top of the shaft. It is not hard to pull and replace. It's located about an inch down from the top. Lots of info here on the seal viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10756
Hull No. 1013, 1971
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

If it lets water in it should also let water out. Have you tried filling the bilge on the trailer and seeing if you can detect a leak on the outside?
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

Yes, Sunsetrider, mine is exactly the same as what you show in the original post, except where you show a grease fitting on top of the bronze casting, mine has a hex head bolt. I have a photo but cannot seem to figure out the procedure for posting it.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

You tap full editor, then attachments, then add files, then browse to your photo and dole click it.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by NickScheuer »

sEE IF IT WORKED THIS TIME
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”