• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auto Helm Install A25

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Auto Helm Install A25

Post by Sunsetrider »

I have mentioned in earlier posts that I find the need to remain constantly physically at the helm a fun-draining aspect of boating, especially while the Admiral and motley guests lounge in silent comfort up at the bow, legs dangling and chatter chatting. <scowl>

After years of internet searching I finally was able to source an olde tyme AH wheel pilot thanks to a reference from this site. Here is the first step in the installation - creating a stable platform for the motor. I hope to complete the installation over the Easter weekend (as well as stripping the old foam insulation from the engine box). I will post more pics as I progress to stimulate envy. :twisted: Don't know why the pic is sideways until you click on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Auto Helm Install A25

Post by dkirsop »

An auto helm is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. My boat came with one and I can’t imagine going on a long cruise without it. Though there is a reason I named it Crazy George, so don’t let your attention drift too far from keeping a lookout!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Anyone tried a tiller pilot on an A25? I had one on the wheel of a Ranger 33 sailboat we owned and it worked fine there. I ask because I have a couple of spare tiller pilots sitting around.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Our boat came with a tiller autohelm. But it's a PITA to set up & deal with. One has to pull the floorboard over the rudder stock in the aft cabin, hook up a short emergency tiller & attach the autohelm. It has a wired remote control that plugs in by the driver seat. But it didn't seem to hold course well & was not worth the effort & so we don't bother with it. One has to be paying attention anyway & it's not that bad hand steering.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I was thinking of using the tiller pilot on the wheel not on the rudder stock in the aft cabin.
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Motor at the bottom right, controller up below the window. Very basic system, before the age of gps etc. Need to keep a close eye on the course, but easier to access the fridge while underway solo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
FrankD
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Pembroke Ontario

Post by FrankD »

From what I see, it's a band that goes on a pulley attached behind the wheel?
Looks very "neat"
Let us know how it works
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Yes - waiting for arrival of a belt smaller than those I have.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”