• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

27FC aft bilge pump

Albin's "power cruisers"
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

27FC aft bilge pump

Post by ChrisP »

Wondering if someone can offer some insight. I purchased my 1983 27FC last October. Shes a little rough but manageable. I've been going through her trying to get her ready to splash. I do not see where there was ever a bilge pump in the aft area. Is it possible that there was never one originally installed? I only see two pumps. One is mounted to a piece of plywood under the drip-less coupling. The other is under the closet. Looks like it is for the shower drain?
When the boat was hauled last fall, I removed the drain plug on keel which is just forward the prop on the port side. Quite a bit of water came out. Even after that drained out there was still several gallons left in the compartment where the bilge pump is under the coupling & engine. Shouldn't these compartments be connected?
At some point someone installed a 6" access hole in the middle of the floor of the aft cabin about a foot in from the door. I look down there & can see the shaft but no pump or wires.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
Sprig1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Cove Marina, Chester River Maryland

Re: 27FC aft bilge pump

Post by Sprig1 »

Hi Chris that is the same way my boat is set up. No bilge pump there. I've wondered the same thing. I bought a little tiny bilge pump to go in there that will slide between the shaft and the side. I was going to hook it to a manual switch since it is so hard to get a float switch in there. But now you have to drill a hole in the floor to get the hose through and put another thruhull in. I just gave up last year and splashed it. Figuring it had been that way long before I got it. My boat leaked so badly that compartment was totally full of water and it was on land. I would ride along figuring what if the boat got a hole in that compartment. It's pretty much sealed like a sealed compartment so hopefully it wouldn't sink the whole boat. My thoughts while I'm riding along while everyone else is having a good time.
Your water is most likely coming in through where the skeg (sp) is bolted to the keel. Mine was just sealed with silicone and it had all
deteriorated. It definitely would of leaked. Do you have a stainless steel skeg? Wait till you try to undo the bolts. I used all my 1/2 inch extensions and a universal and could work up through the access whole. Your arm will fit down between the shaft and the side it's just tight. When I put it back together I used 4200.
After I had mine apart I said what the heck and pulled the rudder and put a 4 inch extension on the front. Good luck and let me know what you think.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

I had to replace a pump under the drive shaft and the only thing I found that would fit with any clearance was the link below..it is on it's own auto switch and I don't ever see water (a little it can't pick up)

links wern't working so look up Whale super sub bilge pump 1100
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

My A25 originally (when we bought the boat) had this pump:

https://www.zoro.com/rule-pump-submersi ... gKuKvD_BwE

It fit right down in the crack-a-toa but died shortly after we took ownership. I replaced with a different pump with integral switch, but it doesn't get low enough to keep things as dry as I like so I use the manual pump as needed.

The right way to do it is to use a system that mounts the pump higher and has a hose that sticks right down in bilge. Desert Albin has that set up on his, see link below. I think dkirsop has a similar set up with a nice drilled pick up tube. "Strum" is the word, a good word.
Kerrye, too.

Check this link, first page has good pic of DA's set up:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10266&hilit=A25+bilge+pump

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”