• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Transmission Information for Volvo Engine

Albin's "power cruisers"
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Beaufort, NC

Transmission Information for Volvo Engine

Post by blandc »

Does anyone have any information on the transmission that was used with the Volvo engine that was installed on the 1984 FC. There may have been several different engines used, but I believe mine is about 110hp; I know that the engine is XXX30????. My transmission just froze, and is need of replacement according to the service engineer. There is no information on the transmission that tells anything about it???? I'm out of the country at for some time and don't have access to my boat or to any information about it, so I'm seeking your help. If it sounds that I am ignorant about the boat and engine, that is true as I just bought it shortly before I left on this trip. Anyway, Volvo is apparently asking for the model number and the gear ratio for the transmission in order for them to recommend a replacement...
Many thanks for any information.
Charles Bland
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Transmission Information for Volvo Engine

Post by kerrye »

I'm an A25 guy and not an A27 guy but I'm pretty sure the 27's did not come with a Volvo engine. They came originally with a Nissan or Isuzu as I recall from reading on here. Maybe your engine was replaced with a Volvo or I'm mistaken.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Here's someone selling the transmission for the Nissan version: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10739
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

His boat must have been repowered by a previous owner - A 1984 A27 FC should have come with the Peugeot/Lehman 4D61, which is a 61 HP engine with a Hurth 10 transmission. I believe if he really does have a Volvo an an A27 (first one I've ever heard of) that someone other than Albin put it in there

I would recommend he get with Volvo and see what particular transmission they sold with his specific model of Volvo engine

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks for the information! I don't have any information indicating that the boat was ever repowered, but I'm really not positive about that. In any event, I now have a "certified" Volvo mechanic working on the problem now. Kinda hard to deal with when I'm in France and really don't know much about either the boat or the engine. I sure was hoping, however, to have it repaired by the time I get home later in May as I'm really eager to start learning the boat. Thanks again, chuck
SkipRocks
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Augustine, FL

Post by SkipRocks »

I have an '85 A27 Express with a Volvo Penta TAMD31P. It is not the original engine. The TAMD31P is the turbocharged version with an aftercooler and is rated at 150 HP. There are several other variants of the 4 cyl TAMD31 that range from 100 HP to 150 HP. Volvo calls the transmission a Reverse Gear and I think the number is HS45A.
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

I have a 1986 110HP turbo Volvo TAMD30A and the transmission is a reverse gear MS3C. The gear ratio is 1.93:1 There is a tag on the top of the gearbox with drive type and the ratio is stamped on it. The original engine in this A27FC was a 4D61. I have had no problems with this drive, but it and the engine only have 1400 hours running time.
blandc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by blandc »

Thanks SkipRocks and Agassiz-Albin! I am sorry it has taken me so long to see your post regarding my query. Unfortunately, the transmission on my Volvo engine (TAMD30A) had lost its identification plate, and/or any other features enabling the mechanics working on it to figure out what it was. Finally, however, it was determined that the transmission was made by Volvo and that they no longer supported it in any way; i.e., no parts and no replacement. A Hurth ZF 25A has now been obtained as a replacement. Hopefully it will be satisfactorily installed in my lifetime............. Thanks again for your response. Charles Bland
Agassiz- Albin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Nipigon Ontario

Post by Agassiz- Albin »

blandc wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:06 pm Thanks SkipRocks and Agassiz-Albin! I am sorry it has taken me so long to see your post regarding my query. Unfortunately, the transmission on my Volvo engine (TAMD30A) had lost its identification plate, and/or any other features enabling the mechanics working on it to figure out what it was. Finally, however, it was determined that the transmission was made by Volvo and that they no longer supported it in any way; i.e., no parts and no replacement. A Hurth ZF 25A has now been obtained as a replacement. Hopefully it will be satisfactorily installed in my lifetime............. Thanks again for your response. Charles Bland
Hello Charles, how is the Hurth drive compatibility with your engine?. I'm interested in all options for my old Tamd30a. Thanks. Lorne.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”