• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 water trap under head sole?

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: A25 water trap under head sole?

Post by WillieC »

Careful with the five gallon idea. Those tubes open only at the back of the engine, the square cutouts. Once you get water in there, you have to wick it all out..

(I think there is a small tube that drains each side, adjacent to the engine, but it is toward the back, so depending on how much water and how you are sitting, it won't drain very well. And the tubes, if there, are small and plug easily. Any mods may have glassed them in, not knowing they serve a purpose.)

Edit: The previous paragraph was mostly bs. The real answer is in the other post that ssrig references below. The sides drain forward, if they are not plugged up. He has good pics on that link. I knew that but was hoping nobody was checking. Feeling a bit nostalgic for the olden days before the inter web. Sure miss Cliff Claven of Cheers fame. Patron saint of bsers.

Under the engine, there is about a 1" tube that runs from the forward area to the actual bilge behind the engine. Basically, the tube is under the engine pan. You can access it from the lift out floor section by the head. Rod it out.
Last edited by WillieC on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Thanks, the intake ducts are easy to get the water out of with a shop vac . My drains from the sides goes into the ducts and the duct only drain in the front as i found so far. I need to look more carefully to see if there are drain holes in the back down to the rear bilge area.

But what is in the cavity right under the engine? Maybe i will dtill a bottom plug sized hole and stick a camera in there.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

tribologist wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 pm Thanks, the intake ducts are easy to get the water out of with a shop vac . My drains from the sides goes into the ducts and the duct only drain in the front as i found so far. I need to look more carefully to see if there are drain holes in the back down to the rear bilge area.

But what is in the cavity right under the engine? Maybe i will dtill a bottom plug sized hole and stick a camera in there.
I posted some pics of all the bilge holes here

/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11273

If you can make sense of the angle of the shot one can see the drain tubes on my boat.
There are two holes at the very bottom of the battery area right next to the forward starboard corner of the engine coaming. The one starboard comes from under the head area draining it, and the port one drains forward into the forward bilge area. I think I found all the drain tubes /holes that exist on my year boat, check it out.
Note, click on pics images.

I did not find one in the engine coaming assuming it needs to be contained and not pumped out.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The pan under the engine is isolated. Thought it was weird at first until I ran the green engine. SO glad it IS not connected. I’ve dumped everything into that pan mostly not by design. Especially my own blood.
Ssrig. Thanks for the link. I knew there were pics.

PS. Careful what you drill around the bottom of the boat. I can’t believe how close I came to drilling right through the hull...what’s underneath THIS angled section? This would make a perfect drain!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I did drill a hole from the engine pan into the bilge of the forward cabin so I can drain it if I want. I plugged it with a screw and rubber washer
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I did some flushing with a garden hose and then i sucked out the water with a shop vac. When i checked on Sunday after 10+ hours it was totally dry under the engine rails. I think i found where the water came from. The vent line for the dripless seal had relocated to the bottom of the starboard locker..
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Are you talking about the raw water hose that supplies the PSS? That hose should come from the end of the raw water circuit just before it enters the exhaust elbow. Mine has a tee at that point. The fitting on the PSS is not a vent, but a supply. On engines under a certain HP and maybe a couple more factors do not require this water supply. My 36 HP applies for this exemption but it was there, so I continue to use it. The entire shaft log is always below the water line, at least if the bottom side is down. Anyway, the fitting on the PSS is not a vent. Glad you found the leak. That would be a lot of water.

My biggest concern is busting off the plastic fitting on my PSS. I understand the newer ones are more robust. Was water coming in from the fitting at the PSS? That could be serious trouble.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

It was from the end of the hose going to the seal. At low speed it does not need the active flush but since we trailer it’s essential to have the seal vented so that the air can exit. The hose has to be well over the waterline but had slipped down so it was laying on the bottom of the starboard locker. Thats way to low. After routing it up to the top it is not spitting water when putting it in forward gear.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”