• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hull Molds for the A25s and A27s

Albin's "power cruisers"
Hwoodturners
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Hollywood, Maryland

Hull Molds for the A25s and A27s

Post by Hwoodturners »

Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knows what Albin - in all its various corporate iterations - did with the hull, deck, cabin, and liner molds for their older models as they transitioned through to the 28TE design? One would think that the idea of a simple, low HP semi-displacement cruiser with a full keel, moderately shallow draft, and straight inboard drive, (along the lines of the A25s and A27s) in today's hyper expensive, glitzy, over finished and over powered market would be an attractive alternative. Not everyone wants a 40 mph go-fast gas or diesel guzzling reverse sheer $150K boat.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Hull Molds for the A25s and A27s

Post by Beta Don »

The problem is with the passage of time . . . . about 40 years worth and what that does to the value of a dollar

You could buy a perfectly restored A25 or A27 tomorrow with a new engine, new wiring, new plumbing and a perfect paint job for $40K . . . . maybe even for $35K . . . . maybe even $30K if you got lucky and found someone in a hurry to unload it

But - If Albin was to build you a new one today, (using those carefully stored, perfect condition old molds) they would have to sell it to you for at least $100K to make any money

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

I agree with Beta Don.

Everything "marine" has gone a bit bonkers in price over the last few years as the economy has burgeoned.

A little 160 hp 4 cyl Yanmar is now $18K plus trans, instruments, etc. All the materials for boat construction have ballooned as well, and talented labor demands big bucks too.

I talked with a Maine builder about 4 years ago about building me a 28 ft downeast (lobster style) boat, and he quoted me $125k.

He is now offering that same build for $170k and has a two year waiting list.

I'm happy to trundle on with our very modest A27 for the remaining boating years and only worry about the ever increasing launching and hauling, slip, shrink wrapping and storage fees, and maintenance costs.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

I've thought along the same lines also, from time to time. Then I come back to the $ part and stop thinking. I'm neither a manufacturer or investor.

I've also looked into a 28' Seaway bare hull with deck and pilothouse. Only about $20k. Cost to finish? Along the same lines as Mainer's experience.

I also seem to think these type boats are perhaps heading to outboard power. Didn't Ranger or Nordic just go outboard on a few models?

Times have changed. Wasn't the original A27 FC under $20k? Billed as the affordable family cruiser. And that was in 1983.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

I think the original 27' started out just under 30k. Cost to buy a similar boat today would be in excess of 200k$ in my opinion. If I could buy one @ 100k today, I'd go for it as a bargain! Ben
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

One would think that the idea of a simple, low HP semi-displacement cruiser with a full keel, moderately shallow draft, and straight inboard drive, (along the lines of the A25s and A27s) in today's hyper expensive, glitzy, over finished and over powered market would be an attractive alternative. Not everyone wants a 40 mph go-fast gas or diesel guzzling reverse sheer $150K boat.
Yes, one would think so. Closest comp to that available today would be the Ranger 25 & 29 tugs & the Nordics, but they're up in the 6 figure range. There was a reason they stopped importing the Albin 25, it became unprofitable due to tax changes. The last use of the Albin 25 molds that I know of was for the Bonum 25 in the mid 1980s, same hull with updated cabin trunk/wheelhouse/deck, but unmistakably Albin lines. We saw this one on Orcas Island, WA in the San Juans in 2014.
DSCN1515 (1280x960).jpg
DSCN1516.JPG
One of my brothers works at the Pursuit Boats factory down in south Florida where they make a line of outboard powered center console fishing boats with twin Yamahas, ranging from 23 feet to 37 feet. Last I heard the 23's started at around $83K and their top of the line 37 was close to $400K.

I guess if you want something new like what you're talking about you'd have to get a set of Glen L plans for 'glass over plywood and spend a couple years building it yourself.

http://www.glen-l.com/designs/cruiser/hercules.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”