• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Having fun refurbishing an Albin 25, was “Catching up on a few years lost maintenance on Driftless”

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: Having fun refurbishing an Albin 25, was “Catching up on a few years lost maintenance on Driftless”

Post by tribologist »

Good points! The relays dont carry current when running so I think i will be ok but i will have a spare onboard. Maybe see if i can get a soft mount. My hX is also mounted to the engine. I been thinking of moving that to the rails. Im going to take a look when i get her back in water to see how much vibes are there. I have full acces to data systems for vibration measurements so i might make a little ”science project” out of it
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Having fun refurbishing an Albin 25, was “Catching up on a few years lost maintenance on Driftless”

Post by tribologist »

The heatexchanger comment gave me some inspiration/fear. The hx on Driftless was mounted to the engine and had two strong vibration modes that was within running rpm so i moved the mount to the rail as suggested. No more bad vibes!!

Ulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by tribologist on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I love the way you can access the whole front of the motor!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

ssrig wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:05 pm I love the way you can access the whole front of the motor!

Lol, everything but the bottom! Mine has the oil plug on the bottom... I'm considering putting a quick drain fitting on there. For now we sucked out of the dip stick and that worked ok but a bit slow.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Looks good! A little creativity goes a long way.
The newer models don't have full frontal access, having a fixed bulkhead/wall. I had to modify mine through the back of the pantry closet for access.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Lol, everything but the bottom! Mine has the oil plug on the bottom... I'm considering putting a quick drain fitting on there. For now we sucked out of the dip stick and that worked ok but a bit slow.
Our Yanmar doesn't even have an accessible drain plug. I use this 5 quart Attwood oil change pump. It's not the fastest on earth, but the engine only holds 2.5 quarts. You can get a cheaper 12V pump, but this one puts the oil into this sealed tank & less chance of spills. Also has a vacuum break valve on the tank.
AA Oil Extractor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Putting a low point oil pan drain fitting is no problem.

Step one: Remove the engine from the boat.
Step two: Remove pan, clean, degrease, Ospho, prime and paint after installing fitting.
Step three: Futz around with engine in shop for three months fixing anything else you might think of.
Step four: Replace engine in boat. Check for leaks.
IMG_0507.JPG
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

WillieC wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 pm Looks good! A little creativity goes a long way.
The newer models don't have full frontal access, having a fixed bulkhead/wall. I had to modify mine through the back of the pantry closet for access.
Yeah I may be doing that too, the water pump is in the worst spot with maybe 3-4" between it and the bulkhead, had to use a mirror to check it out and getting it out of there would be a challenge.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Really! Wounder why they changed that?? I cant imagine a better engine installation than the one they had on the -71

I can reach the plug so it woukd be easy to put a banjo there but a better oil sucker would do to. Just remembered i have a electric vacuum pump laying around. I need to take a peak at that and my wandless garden sprayer that was supposed to become brake fluid changer..

By the way, have you guys any idea on what this filthy foam moster is supposed to do in the engine bed? Found it in some water on the port side when sticking my hand into the hole
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

"Really! Wonder why they changed that??"
We Mark II folks get the added benefit of the pantry cabinet on the galley side of the earlier hinged wall. I could go with either arrangement, as long as you don't have to open that hinged wall very often. Although we cram a lot into that little cabinet. The full-time liveaboards we met in Ladysmith have the hinged wall, which was open while they invited us aboard. It really made the boat feel bigger, but they also had the single helm seat instead of the '52 Plymouth Savoy style bench seat we have.

As to the wadding find, what an oil suck! Mine came, at no extra charge, with fully saturated sound insulation on the lower, stationary sides of the engine box. Nothing like reaching your arm down there and coming back with oil soaked fiberglass shards in your arm. Really makes you feel like a true mariner. Put it back in and enjoy the multi-sensory retro vibe!
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

I already knew why they put a full bulkhead in.. i just banged my head so many time i don’t remember much anymore.....,
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

The only improvement I could suggest to the head banging issue, is to wear a hardhat, thereby guaranteeing that EVERY time I descend the step into the galley I will compress my vertebrae. Instead of every other time. Would it be wrong to take a sawzall to the whole thing and put an extra bubble in the windshield? Or just buy a 36 footer.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I imagine the reason they changed the engine box & cabin wall arrangement was probably due to a combination of owner feedback on the hassles of having to move the seat & swing the wall panel open just to check oil, plus the change in engines from the early AD21 to later Volvos. One of the previous owners of our boat cut out a rectangular access hole in the top starboard side of the box so you can at least check the oil and even add coolant to the HX as seen here without opening up the whole box. They glued a piece of veneer plywood to the piece they cut out (not shown in this photo) so it could be removed & put back in easily.
DSCN3424 (1280x960).jpg
I hadn't really paid much attention to the fact that your hull number is just one off from ours. Makes your thread even more interesting. Too bad you didn't own Driftless three years ago when we had our boat back East & spent a week in Weekapaug, RI with the boat docked at the Norwest Marina on the Connecticut side of Pawcatuck River near Westerly, RI. Would have been fun to compare boats.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

That would have been great fun! It was on a trailer at that point right on the Mystic/Groton border.

We actually to her out for a shorter trip on the river last afternoon. I wanted to make sure trailer was doing good so i rode in the boat going home on the highway and it was surprisingly smooth. The roof lifts in the back creating pretty low pressure inside the boat. I need to do something about it since it pulls the canvas top in over the railing. Adding some fasteners would help too. Do you ever trailer in rain? I would think that it would leak in quite a bit of water in heavy rain? Would almost need a fitted cover over the whole cabin. Alternatively make a cover from the inside that drain to the bilge and just wipe down the dirt getting in?
CC67DF62-79DC-47A0-839C-6A6E7E87B240.jpeg
My neighbor (that helped on trailer) his son and my son Z enjoying the quiet front deck.

Need to get GPS closer. I have a RAM mount in the other boat that i need to transplant over.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

New shiny wood wheel installed. Works good with the Sportpilot since it is flat. Getting closer to whe we wanted to be a month or so ago... we actually got a full day out in Long Island sound last weekend and this Saturday our older son took it for a trip down Connecticut River. While doing so he measured the temperature around the engine. Near the intake it’s around 50C/122F and right above the manifold its 68C/154F so i will put some insulation (graphite felt) around the non-cooled part of the exhaust to bring it down a little. ABYC has 60C as max engine bay temperature so that should be within reach.
On a different topic, i like to replace the rubber snaps holding the door. Are they original? Any ideas for good replacements?
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”