• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A 25 rudder issues

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: A 25 rudder issues

Post by dkirsop »

I notice in your picture that a vertical crack exists at the top of the socket from which the skeg extends. This indicates that the skeg has been hit from below at some time and probably bent upwards. To prevent further damage you might need to make up a bending jig that does not transfer stress to this joint.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

WillieC wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 pm It looks a bit tall, but maybe not. Did you have the old one to measure? I do know the bushing is recessed on mine, not proud as yours shows. As to rudders, I doubt there are different models, but who knows. Not knowing how the skeg is affixed to the fiberglass, bending seems risky, and will change, if slightly, the angle of alignment to the rudder shaft. The WillieC suffered previous damage to that low point on the hull. I noticed it when stripping the bottom for paint. Lots of epoxy work in that area, but well done...hasn't sunk yet.
That’s certainly interesting, your bushing isn’t proud like mine. This part I bought from Albin motor and fashion in Sweden. I will post a picture (in the morning) of the part that was there when I bought the boat, it was a piece of cobbled together stainless junk. It measured something like 3/8” shorter than this new piece. I will definitely try to look at as many pictures online as I can find to see if most others have the bushing sitting flush instead of proud. It appears as if mine the bushing is completely seated though.
Did the WillieC have damage into the skeg area?
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

dkirsop wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:24 pm I notice in your picture that a vertical crack exists at the top of the socket from which the skeg extends. This indicates that the skeg has been hit from below at some time and probably bent upwards. To prevent further damage you might need to make up a bending jig that does not transfer stress to this joint.
It’s definitely cracked, I wasn’t sure if it was a result of a impact from below in its past or from a previous owner forcing the skeg downward trying to get the rudder out of the boat. I had to cut the old repair apart to get it apart. I think your probably right though, and it is from a impact. Plan to grind out a v shape along the crack, and start by pouring thickened epoxy into the crack, then wrapping it in fiberglass biaxial mat to reinforce it.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Did the WillieC have damage into the skeg area?

I would have to say yes due to the different color of the bare hull beneath all the bottom paint. Also, where the skeg leaves the hull looks a bit odd. Fiberglass and stainless pipe are two different materials and don't take to fillets, which it appears somebody tried on the WillieC. I like your plan with the thickened epoxy and FG wrap, something that should have happened on ours. But it is holding up.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Dieselram94 »

Here is a picture of how it was repaired as I got it. This is a solid stainless bar slid into the skeg, no way to remove the pipe head piece so that’s why I had to cut it apart. New part slides in like the old repair but recreates the original design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”