• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rough around the edges Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Re: rough around the edges Albin 25

Post by ssrig »

I have a rubber flapper on the exhaust outlet, doesnt stop water getting in only a stern wave by the looks of it.
IMG-1607.JPG
When I was putting the boat in the water for the first time there was so much stuff in the aft cabin that the boat sat tail heavy, after starting the engine I couldn't see if water was coming out of the exhaust so I had 3 people stand on the bow which raised the stern enough to inspect for water. (yes there was water coming out) So with that story about Kerrye's situation I instantly thought of doing just the same thing if I had some rail meat onboard, get everyone and stuff to the front of the boat, raise the exhaust outlet above waterline and no more water getting in at that point.

Looking around under the boat I came across this, looked like a zinc and it says " overplate do not paint". It was amidship starboard side about two feet away from the raw water intake.
Anyone know what it is, sonar? Old transducer?
IMG-1610.JPG

And while down there I remembered when I took the boat out of the water to get it home I noticed a bunch of seaweed sticking out of the raw water intake thru hull that I started pulling out. I was in a hurry so didnt dwell on it but then yesterday looking at this I realized that it looks backwards, as in the grooves in the screen are towards the bow and the bulbous end is to stern. Now I think that is not on right, it should be the other way around so that during motoring seaweed etc gets slightly pushed out of the way and cant make it back towards the inlet grooves before being left behind. Is that right?
IMG-1611.JPG
We did travel through some large tracts of seaweed on the few days we were out, tried to not go through them but it was too vast.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Yesterday I dropped the rudder to get the prop off, everything came out easy and I pulled the old prop off and test fit the spare, as I noticed prior the prop taper is slightly larger and the prop did not sit well.
IMG-1606.JPG

Sits too far back on the shaft.
IMG_1602 2.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

And the end of the nut thread sticks out, also the key makes the prop offset on the shaft.
IMG_1604.JPG
Then I inserted the plastic/nylon sleeve thing and tried that and it sat nice and snug on the shaft and in the right spot but this seems Micky Mouse to me?

Where can one get a castellated prop nut or does anyone know what the actual size and thread is for the 30mm shaft?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

ssrig wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 amLooking around under the boat I came across this, looked like a zinc and it says " overplate do not paint". It was amidship starboard side about two feet away from the raw water intake.
IMG-1610.JPG
It actually says "Dynaplate" and it's a grounding plate for electronics - Radios and such. That little plate is the electrical equivalent of about 10 square feet of copper sheathing. They're pretty expensive when you go to buy one. Since it's already there, I would use it to ground every electrical device on the boat - Radios, GPS etc

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Beta Don wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm
ssrig wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:24 amLooking around under the boat I came across this, looked like a zinc and it says " overplate do not paint". It was amidship starboard side about two feet away from the raw water intake.
IMG-1610.JPG
It actually says "Dynaplate" and it's a grounding plate for electronics - Radios and such. That little plate is the electrical equivalent of about 10 square feet of copper sheathing. They're pretty expensive when you go to buy one. Since it's already there, I would use it to ground every electrical device on the boat - Radios, GPS etc

Don
Thanks very much! I need to find where that enters the boat.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

One (or both) of the mounting bolts are silver soldered to the plate. They go through the hull and you should find some wires connected to one of them on the inside of the hull

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

You sound like you have a cross between SAE prop and metric shaft, or versa worsa. DA has a plastic spacer on his set up and it seems to work just fine. That is a legitimate fix for such situations, though I opted to wait the 10 weeks for a new prop with a metric bore to match my prop shaft. Knowing what you have is tricky, though you, being a machinist and all should have no problem figuring it out.

Mine came with the 30mm shaft that tapered down to 22.5mm in 75mm, the hub thickness of the propeller. Thus, 7.5mm in 75mm length, is 1:10, a common metric bore.

Hope this helps.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Beta Don wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:14 pm One (or both) of the mounting bolts are silver soldered to the plate. They go through the hull and you should find some wires connected to one of them on the inside of the hull

Don
Thanks Don, I found it. Only a ground wire on it, nothing else?
IMG_1612.JPG

I'll have to read up on this I know nothing about it.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

WillieC wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:25 pm You sound like you have a cross between SAE prop and metric shaft, or versa worsa. DA has a plastic spacer on his set up and it seems to work just fine. That is a legitimate fix for such situations, though I opted to wait the 10 weeks for a new prop with a metric bore to match my prop shaft. Knowing what you have is tricky, though you, being a machinist and all should have no problem figuring it out.

Mine came with the 30mm shaft that tapered down to 22.5mm in 75mm, the hub thickness of the propeller. Thus, 7.5mm in 75mm length, is 1:10, a common metric bore.

Hope this helps.
That helps a ton! Thanks! I have exactly what you describe so just metric.
I am going to Victoria Prop tomorrow, taking my old small prop for the measurements.

The boat came with two props, one old small one, looks like 16 x 10 to me, way too small but it was on the boat mounted with a steel nut! The prior owner had the bigger prop, the 17 x 14 with the plastic spacer on last year and while trying to leave the dock the prop fell off. He had a diver recover the prop but not the castlelated nut. I am keeping that prop as a spare, the prop guy said it is semi common to have the spacer.

So I am also in need of a nut, do I have to get that from Sweden?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Your prop guy will help you with your nut. My metric shaft with metric tapered prop had an off the shelf SAE thread for the nut! Go figure! Of course I took the shaft to his shop with me. Cut a die gauge out of card stock, maybe? Surely there are full scale die profiles somewhere online you can print and cut out? Maybe I just had another million dollar idea!

Funny thing about my description of the metric taper, my prop guy took meticulous measurements in inches and thousandths (on an old worn prop, no less), and I was beginning to think I had make a huge mistake. He is taking a fair amount of time and I am about ready to scream...but I held on, let him do his thing...after all, he was ordering the prop and wasn't about to screw it up and eat it. Anyway, I took his inch and thousandths measurements home and converted them on my calculator back to metric. Our numbers agreed to the thousandth. Prop fits like gold. Hope you have a good guy!
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Quick update, I went to Vic Prop and dropped my old prop off and will get word on what the guy comes up with for the numbers I gave him.
It was very interesting to go see the shop with some older props from some larger ferries along with thousands of others but almost NO metric props!

The VP was installed with this simple set up of the control panel and tach/system warning LCD, no key, just battery switch on, turn on the control panel and start her up. LCD screen integrated with the tack will show warnings,ie high coolant temp etc. Needs some gauges though, feel like I'm running blind without more info. 425.6 hours, was 405 when I bought it.
IMG_1622 2.jpg

I found this in the boat, I assume its for rinsing out the raw water system but it didn't fit the hose on now so must have been for the other motor? I did spend a day rinsing the whole raw water system out and draining it all, I filled up a five gallon pail full of water and stuck the raw water intake pipe from the strainer into it and started it up, sucked the pail dry in maybe under a minute so it seemed like the impeller is working good! I did open that up to check, it is located in a crappy spot at the front of the motor and needed a mirror to check it out, looks new or at least very unused, no chips out of it.
IMG_1628.JPG

One of the bilge pumps was slapped together with four different sized hoses on it, I cleaned it up and got rid of some black cheap hose and put it back together neater, I couldn't see if the hose was all the way on this hull fitting so I took a picture of it to see, well I took more notice of that grey hose.........looked at it closely and I know I have seen that hose before....yup...ELECTRICAL CONDUIT!! Well it says its water proof so I might just keep it for a season but sheesh! Makes a guy wonder what else might be lurking in the parts catalogue?
IMG_1627.JPG

Also took the auto pilot off the helm, made it protrude aft by 5-6 inches and was hard to get my knees around the wheel due to lack of room, I split it apart and will poke around in there and see whats what with it, I did Google it and zero came up! Very rare that absolutely nothing would come up at all as if First Mate Auto Pilots never existed! Anybody?
IMG_1630.JPG
I also mounted some plywood ledges to the vee berth and cut a new piece of ply for it, we have a queen size foam mattress that I am going to cut to fit with my new to me electric carving knife and have a larger permanent bed set up.

The old green garden hose in the head is gone along with the seacock that split open from freezing, I found a new ball valve in the box of goodies and I will run new hose to all of it with proper fittings.

Started to tag some of the wiring which will be ongoing for a while, its just really messy with many wires not connected to anything or just some old runs, many add ons that were poorly done but that will clean up pretty well.

Started to clean out the bilge too, yuck! This boat was just neglected on the cleaning front!

I repaired one of the stainless air vents, the head one, looks like new! And replaced one in the aft cabin roof, and one of the air intakes for combustion air, not original just those rubber cowls that go onto a dorade box.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

This is how you get to know your boat! Bit by yucky bit!

I have debated installing an autopilot on the WillieC. But, we just got back from our Desolation Sound trip with Desert Albin and logged over 700 NM. We switched off a bit, the Starfleet Commander and I (she did most of the driving). So maybe that is my autopilot, with no excess electrical consumption...

Were I single-handing, though, I might like an auto pilot from time to time. At six knots, however, if you really need to be away from the helm (thus providing no watch, another issue entirely) one would not lose much time just shutting it down. We never really ran into water so long and boring that really would benefit from an auto-pilot on these inland waters. Last year, just fooling around, I wrapped a bungee cord around the wheel hub and tied it off just to provide enough tension to hold the wheel. Worked rather well for short trips away from the helm.
Last edited by WillieC on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

First Mate Auto Pilot
My "First Mate Auto Pilot" :wink:
DSCN4264 (1280x960).jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Post by Sunsetrider »

I gotta train me one a them.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Hey! I got me one of those too!
IMG_1438.JPG
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Also while showing my wife where I used to live on a float home at Lynwood Marina in North Vancouver I spotted this! Very well set up with a Sole engine and many deck bits that were thick stainless, like vents, anchor chocks, radar mast etc.
IMG_1635.JPG

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”