• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rough around the edges Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: rough around the edges Albin 25

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Also while showing my wife where I used to live on a float home at Lynwood Marina in North Vancouver I spotted this! Very well set up with a Sole engine and many deck bits that were thick stainless, like vents, anchor chocks, radar mast etc.
Yes, nice. Similar style hard top & roof hatch like mine, canvas cockpit enclosure with side windows. A power windlass would be nice. Maybe someday when I get too decrepit to haul the anchor in by hand. I've already got a 100 amp alternator on my little 24HP engine. What's another $1,000 here & there? We thought about shooting up to Vancouver this last trip but didn't. Closest we got was checking back into US customs at Point Roberts and a stroll over to the Peace Arch park from Blaine. Quite a number of Canadians keep their boats in Blaine.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Vancouver Harbour was certainly busy when I went over the Lions Gate Bridge this past weekend, cruise ships, coast guard, cargo, pleasure craft and fishing boats along with kayaks etc. might not be that enjoyable trying to get around! Its been a while since I spent much time in that harbour, its been twenty years since I had a boat and the last time I was in the harbour I tied up next to the USS Ranger aircraft carrier for a tour. I dont think that will happen again...

Blaine and Semiamoo have many Canadian boats in them, there is almost no moorage in the lower mainland, my friend who lives in North Vancouver keeps his boat in Smugglers Cove! Takes a ferry to get there!
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

So anyway, back to the Albin, I did pick up a bronze nut from my prop guy, 3/4" x 10.

He just guessed at the size as the boat and prop shaft were not with me, took the nut home and tried it on the boat, nope, didn't go on, looked so close that I couldn't see any size discrepancy? So I sent Albin Motors a message about getting a few nuts sent over and he just emailed me back saying I need to source that on this side, said the nut is 3/4" UNC.
Well that is 3/4" x 10 right?? Thats what I got from my prop guy..? So I believe my threads on my prop shaft might be a bit dinged up and thats why the nut didn't go on, I didn't force it and just assumed that it was the wrong size. I wont be home now for a month so cant do anything now but once I'm home I'll give it a thread cleaning/tapping and try again.
Anyone know what their nut sizes are on their 30mm shafts?
Has anyone bought a castle nut for their 30mm shaft recently and where did you get it?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Odd... I recall the Albin Motor site having 30mm prop shaft nuts available for sale in their online store. I nearly bought one (or two) before I entrusted my shaft/coupler/nut sourcing to my prop guy.

Wonder why he suggested you hunt down a local source instead?
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Blaine and Semiamoo have many Canadian boats in them, there is almost no moorage in the lower mainland, my friend who lives in North Vancouver keeps his boat in Smugglers Cove! Takes a ferry to get there!
We weren't thinking about visiting Vancouver by boat, but instead taking bus or train up from Bellingham. Ended up not doing either.

Smugglers Cove? That's not really a permanent anchorage. We did an overnight stop in Smuggler in 2016 after crossing over from Nanaimo.

This is Smugglers Cove
20160709_211121.jpg
You may be thinking of Secret Cove (which we did not stop at) that has some facilities like Latitude 49 Marina. Smuggler Cove is opposite Thornmanby Island on a peninsula between Halfmoon Bay & Secret Cove. Sunshine Coast is certainly a rugged stretch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

This thread has lots of excellent pictures! Can’t wait to see how this boat transforms into a well cared for boat.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

hetek wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:56 pm Odd... I recall the Albin Motor site having 30mm prop shaft nuts available for sale in their online store. I nearly bought one (or two) before I entrusted my shaft/coupler/nut sourcing to my prop guy.

Wonder why he suggested you hunt down a local source instead?

Well I did try to order two 30mm nuts online, the shipping was very high but I tried ordering them anyway but it didnt go through so I emailed them and he sent an email back

"This nut you must find at a local shop,

The tread is UNC 3/4"
If you not find it in brass, you can use (stainless steel)"

Don't know why he wouldn't sell me nuts, seemed odd but maybe sending them to Canada is more trouble than its worth, if in fact the nut I got from Vic Prop fits its all good though, if it doesn't work and its some rare only bought from Sweden thing well it starts again.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm
We weren't thinking about visiting Vancouver by boat, but instead taking bus or train up from Bellingham. Ended up not doing either.

Smugglers Cove? That's not really a permanent anchorage. We did an overnight stop in Smuggler in 2016 after crossing over from Nanaimo.

This is Smugglers Cove
20160709_211121.jpg

You may be thinking of Secret Cove (which we did not stop at) that has some facilities like Latitude 49 Marina. Smuggler Cove is opposite Thornmanby Island on a peninsula between Halfmoon Bay & Secret Cove. Sunshine Coast is certainly a rugged stretch.
Yup you are right! Its Secret Cove, had Smugglers Cove on my mind. Spent quite some time in the bay of the Thormanby's, it was a nice stop and first stop on the way north with Secret cove a quick for supplies.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Dieselram94 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:32 pm This thread has lots of excellent pictures! Can’t wait to see how this boat transforms into a well cared for boat.
Well it will be cared for and I will try my best to get it ship shape enough to use next summer, that is my main goal. There are many good things about this boat it has just been neglected and dirty, some cleaning, repairing and a few new parts will get us where we want it.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

You should be able to purchase a 3/4” UNC bronze propeller nut from any well supplied marine chandlery. Next time you are in Sidney check out Spencer Marine or in Victoria try Trotac.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Thanks dkirsop! I have one now but I am not at home at the boat, I tried it on the shaft just before I left home and it didn't go on nicely so I assumed it was the wrong size, thats when I tried to get one from Albinmotors. Now that it sounds like I have the right nut I can go clean the shaft threads up and try again.
Thanks for the names of the chandleries, hard to get a good one with some stock these days it seems.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm also where you are with the prop nut scenario. Let me explain...

My new prop shaft came with - you guessed it - 3/4"x10 threads! It also came with one heavy duty 3/4x10 brass nut, but not a castle. The shaft was also drilled for a cotter pin. ...And I did really want a true castle nut, so off to Google I went...

I noticed there are two types of castle nuts. One has a tapered castle shape and the other looks just like a regular nut with slots cut in it (also referred to as a slotted nut, evidently). Not knowing which one would work best for my boat, I bought two of each type.

The tapered type I got from albanycountyfasteners.com (New Jersey)
The slotted type I got from Getaprop.com (Washington State)

They'll both be arriving today in the mail. I'll let you know which worked out the best.

BTW... I read Brass is preferred due to its natural lubricating properties. Stainless Steel has the potential for galling and can ruin the threads on a shaft. That would not be good!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

BTW... I read Brass is preferred due to its natural lubricating properties. Stainless Steel has the potential for galling and can ruin the threads on a shaft. That would not be good!
Brass or bronze?
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Well please keep me posted for sure, I think it’s the tapered version I’m looking for.

Yeah! Bronze is what it should be, I am often mixing them up.
Unless......??
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Believe it or not... Brass.

From what I've read, the Nibral bronze that most props are made of is, apparently, just a fancy name for brass. I have right now an unhealthy collection of marine-specific prop nuts and all are yellow brass.
20180915_215914.jpg
The one on the left is what came with my shaft. Big and chunky but not a castle.

The next pair are the typical "full nut/jam nut" combo that seems to be the ABYC SAE standard. My threads aren't long enough to fit both of them, let alone install the cotter. Even still, the bearing surface that contacts the prop hub seems rather anemic.

The third is the "King of the castle". Get it? Big and chunky and a true castle. This nut is almost as big as my prop's hub!

Last, on the right is the tapered one I mentioned. Smaller and slimmer than the King but has the same size bearing surface as the first nut and significantly more than the full/jam pair.

All these nuts are 3/4"-10 threads. In the end I will use one of the castles (the King or the tapered). My scientific method of choice? I'll choose the one where the castle lines up with the cotter hole the best.

As far as dissimilar metals and their nobility and electrolysis goes... That's why a proper shaft zinc is important.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”