• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rough around the edges Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Re: rough around the edges Albin 25

Post by ssrig »

Under mount extending ladder install:
Laboriously drill some holes in stainless steel and then file the holes square! Is there another way to do this with carriage bolts?
IMG_2177.JPG

It was a workout doing eight holes! This stainless is so hard!
IMG_2180.JPG

Installed, I used Sika 291 between the wood and stainless, just trying to keep the water from sitting between the two, there where some snap davits bolted on the swim grid before and there seemed to be a weird wood electrolysis going on and some sealant might reduce that.. but I dunno?
IMG_2182.JPG

Four step ladder deployed! It kinda pulled on the swim grid so I will be adding an additional support with some stainless steel tube.
IMG_2184.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

The strain on the telescoping ladder is much more on dry land than in the water. Blame it on Archimedes or Galileo or Fermi...I forget who. Maybe Bernoulli? Still, additional bracing is more confidence inspiring.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

WillieC wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:19 pm The strain on the telescoping ladder is much more on dry land than in the water. Blame it on Archimedes or Galileo or Fermi...I forget who. Maybe Bernoulli? Still, additional bracing is more confidence inspiring.
Or Newton?

I'm 200 lb's so I feel better with the brace, extending the grid out from the transom makes me feel like more lever action? By the way the brace is already on, finished it today, only two holes to drill so it felt like a cake walk.

I filled up my water tank on my camper and drove down to the boat and used the water to pressure wash/clean the whole boat! Felt good to get the gunk off of there. Also filled up the raw water system and ran the motor, I had some air I had to bleed out then she ran fine. Maybe launch tomorrow???
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Boat is in the water in Ganges government dock! PSS system will need to be overhauled but I will do that when it comes out of the water for the winter, right now its dripping and the bilge pump can look after it.

Prop makes a huge difference compared to the anaemic one that was on before. We took the boat for a lap around the harbour and its much better. Even feels like it wants to plane.....Nope! Not really, but when I put the coals to it the bow lifts up and soon a wake appears , I'll get the GPS hooked up and see what she does.

Stayed on board last night to make sure everything was going to be OK and now we will start throwing some stuff in there and go for a little trip!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Look forward to meeting up with you at Ladysmith!
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Very cool! I have been waiting to hear your first launch story. I totally get staying on board at least the first night. Did exactly the same thing myself the first couple years. This year, pffft... put 'er on the hook and go in.

The PSS supplier is in Lynwood, fyi. You can walk in with your assembly and before you finish the free coffee, they will have it back for you, ready to install. Maybe I caught them on a slow day, but that was service!

Ladysmith...cars go there, too, right?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

11 day countdown to Ladysmith. Can't wait to see your handiwork! We're in Garrison Bay (English Camp) on San Juan tonight, Fisherman's Bay on Lopez tomorrow & through the 4th, then BC.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Looking forward to seeing everyone and their boats (or car for WillieC), sounds like it will be a good turnout.

We are anchored out at Russell island just off the mouth of Fulford-Ganges harbour in the pouring rain! Some leaks from the cockpit enclosure but we are snug in our little boat.

We left Ganges yesterday afternoon and putted over slowly for the night, very busy here, maybe 15 boat including a 100 footer, looks like a cruise ship but it’s a personal yacht!.

Might head over to Sydney Spit island for the night.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We need to keep in touch toward the end of this week. After the July 4th festivities (awesome fireworks display in Fisherman's Bay) we'll be heading out on the 5th or 6th. Since we'll be coming from Lopez Island up San Juan Channel & across Haro Strait will likely clear Canadian customs in Sidney. If you have DSC capability on your VHF my MMSI # is 368022040. Otherwise shoot me a text or I'll text you, I have your cell #. We had a cold wet passage this morning from Garrison Bay, up around Speiden Channel & down San Juan Channel to Fisherman's. Was glad to have a pilothouse & enclosed cockpit.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Spieden channel almost had us moving backwards on our trip last summer. The closer to home, the less we checked tides and such. Dumb.
I have been pondering a trip to Ladysmith. I think it would be cheaper by boat! Better leave now, though.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Yeah, we were down to 1 knot late in the ebb across Spieden Channel this morning coming over from Garrison Bay. But that meant once we rounded Lime Kiln Point we had 9 NM of favorable currents down to Fisherman's Bay. If we'd waited for ebb-to-flood slack we would have been fighting adverse current all the way down San Juan Channel. But, that also meant arriving at a -2 ft lower low tide (new moon tonight), and the twisting, narrow, shallow entrance channel charts at 9 ft with 4ft shoals on either side. My trusty Garmin 741xs combo chartplotter paid for itself.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Spent the night at Sydney spit. We will be heading to Musgrave landing on Saltspring for tonight then to Burgoyne bay for Thursday where I can hike to my place and get the car and go shopping etc..

DA, we are going to Gabriola island on Saturday the sixth To visit friends then slowly cruising down to Ladysmith for the rendezvous.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

The last project that I completed before launching was to install a fridge, which started by pulling the old ice box out along with the shelf above it.
31B99533-00D1-4D8F-A7D5-C0A943CAF457.jpeg

Preparing the area, glassed in some supports onto the hull and a bit of cutting of the fibreglass.
E84897B0-F29F-4BDC-A39C-2F0382E7EBB3.jpeg

Purchased a 75 quart dual zone Dometic fridge/freezer, this thing was well wrapped! Big plastic bag, strong cardboard box, another plastic bag around the second cardboard box with more cardboard enforcement pieces with yet another plastic bag!
1ECF84A0-5121-4E17-9A29-0C6E96A434B8.jpeg

Ran a 10 gauge power source for it.
F69D4D6B-5620-467E-A2BB-0DC2A3B37659.jpeg

And a temporary way to keep it on the plywood shelf it’s sitting on.
828C2BF7-EC41-4033-A3EC-91EB9073C837.jpeg

Fits well, I used 18” sliders.
6B2D840E-A93F-45DD-8110-15405AF03541.jpeg

When slid in it does not extend out too far, the cabin door opens at 90 degrees and we have no problems walking by.
4B4195B3-FED2-41AA-9E99-554552585DAD.jpeg
The fridge is a great addition to our set up! I still need to pretty it up around the hole and add some shelf space but that will come.
We have been out using the boat and fridge for a few weeks now and I am really liking it, seems very efficient and we are making ice constantly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

6FA2F17B-5421-4FED-AE83-5DCCC358864A.jpeg
On our way to Desolation sound and presently in Powell River, crossed Georgia Straight yesterday.

Pic is leaving Nanaimo area. So far so good, I have been on the boat for one month now and everything is working great!
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

So good to hear! That looks pretty benign. What's the big deal about crossing the Strait? HA! Good timing. We just finished a couple weeks in the south sound and were a bit concerned about entering Hood Canal. Falling tide and opposing wind. Fortunately neither were enough so we avoided the dreaded standing waves. This time.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”