• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propeller zinc??

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Propeller zinc??

Post by tribologist »

My propeller shaft does not have a zinc anode. Boatzincs sells one for 3/4-UNC thread that looks like it can work. Do people use them? I don’t see them at Defender etc.

Ulf
Last edited by tribologist on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: Propeller zink??

Post by hetek »

I'm using a "limited clearance" 30mm zinc collar on my shaft, although my shaft was just built to my spec's so yours might be different.

I got mine from boatzincs.com.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Are you talking about a bullet style zinc aft of the propeller? Since there is no room on most of these A25s for a bullet zinc, many of us use collar type in front of the prop. That real estate is tight as well depending on whether or not you have the handy-dandy built in prop removal nut threaded onto the shaft in front of the prop.

I have heard that the bullet style, if you can get it to fit, is preferable. Maybe for more hydrodynamic water flow and better rotational balance. Once my donut zinc starts eroding, I am sure it contributes to the racket under way. And its square edge profile surely knocks a knot or two out of my top speed. (Some get the sleeker bulbous style to fit ahead of the prop.) Another consideration is leaving enough of a gap at the cutla(e)ss bearing for water flow. And my transmission (mated to the original MD3B VP engine) pulled the shaft forward and aft about a quarter inch between forward and reverse.

You are doing an amazing job there. You will know this boat. Our PO kept his boat in a marina and hired divers for zinc replacement and who knows what else. When we got it home and put it on our newly built trailer, I discovered that they used a not quite fitting SAE zinc on the 30mm shaft. Minimal contact at the interface, now growing crud inside there. How much did that fine piece of "maintenance" cost him? How confidence inspiring is that in hiring the simplest of projects out?

Keep going, and thanks for keeping us posted.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I have no zinc on mine either and I'm curious as to whether you can get one on the prop nut.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Thanks! The only thing i hire someone for is wheel alignment... might not do that again either, one of my buddies race cars and he just bought a setup... I went and measured after i read the post and i would have a 10 mil clearance... i might buy one and look if it can be modified. A bronze barstock piece is looking more and more attractive.... would not be hard to make a nut that i can clamp an acorn zinc over. Once the prop is on I doubt it take much to hold it. (Im more concerned of how to pull them off.)

Ulf
84B2531C-42E8-4D99-9A60-D794AB463BAC.jpeg
EA512AE5-144E-4A2C-A3CE-5E6DD3E53785.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by tribologist on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Since you like to tinker (should be a requirement for all boat owners) you might consider a shaft wiper tied to a transom zinc.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

This is interesting, I was reading the other day snout corrosion in stern tubes, should a zinc be not only on the prop, but also somehow attached to the stern tube? Maybe at the cutless somehow?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Propeller zinc??

Post by tribologist »

Got the spinner zinc on there. Its on the tight side so it will meet my friend lathy lathe face and get a 1/4” trimmed off. The innards comes with a brass washer that can be trimmed down considerably and the zinc can be cut back to. The part i like is that the prop nut now has a nice positive lock with a castellated nut and the reduction in drag that will easily give me 1-2 knot on the top speed.

Ulf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I assume you didn't have to pull the rudder to install that? What are the exact dimensions of that zinc. I'd like to install one on my boat to get that same 1-2knt increase. :)
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I can get a 1-2kt speed differential, either direction, by picking what conditions I go out in without touching the zinc.
That install looks very nice, and I think it is better than the collar type I am using, but I don't have enough room between end of shaft and leading edge of rudder. Soon as DA coughs up for new shaft, I can fix all that.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

It was easy to install. Just turned the rudder. I will measure it before hacking into it with the lathe. The Boatzincs webpage has the dimensions listed but i will check them.

I was thinking on the shaft issue last night. It should be possible to flip the shaft over and cut a taper and thread on the old motor end and make an adapter for the taper to fit the coupling. Kind of like my mom used to flip the shirt collars when they got worn in the neck...

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Hmmm...a taper, with or without an adapter for mismatched tapers, works on the prop end because of the nut, at least to my way of ciphering. How would that work on the engine end? Short of welding it back up and re-turning it, which plan would be much easier at the cutlass location.

There is a guy with the killer beard back east who runs a machine shop and posts a bunch of videos of this sort of repair. Looks easy peasy from my recliner. I especially like his vids of casting babbit bearings, something my dad, The Ancient Machinist, spoke fondly of. Long ago, with my first wife, we visited the old homestead back in Pa. Cousins and other shirttail relatives still work(ed) in the foundry in New Wilmington (maybe Ellwood City, I forget) where they made crankshafts for serious engines, like you guys have in the 28s, the Old School Way. Need a conrod journal? No problem, just heat that section of the fifty foot crank to about a jillion degrees C or F, don't matter, and yank it out with dese here pincers on dat dere forklift. Careful, don't burn yourself. Not quite? Back in the oven. Then after a few hundred years when it cools down, it gets machined to actually look like a crankshaft. Amazing.

So, yes. You prolly can flip it around. Don't burn yourself.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Making a new taper on a 1” shaft is easy. Its only 2-3/4 long so with some care it can be done with the compound slide. My compound has 3-1/2 travel. I was thinking of making a sleeve that has a matching taper on the ID, cut it for the key and put a custom key in. Either hold it with the original nut or make a smaller nut. The other option is to make a new flange with a tapered bore. Bring it if you are visiting your family in Pa and we can give it a try or have DA bring it whe he is coming to fix his trailer.

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”