• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 fisherman when did it start?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Albinfisher
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Newport, Oregon

A25 fisherman when did it start?

Post by Albinfisher »

Does anyone know what year Albin started making the A25 fisherman model and how many were made. I have acquired a fisherman and I am not quite sure what year it was made. I have found no hull number but the hull is second generation.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: A25 fisherman when did it start?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Good question. If the the hull is 2nd generation then it's 1973 or later. Any boat sold new in the US after 1972 should have a standardized hull ID stamped or engraved on the upper starboard corner of the transom. Otherwise there was supposed to be a brass nameplate with 3 or 4 digit hull number attached somewhere near the steering wheel. In any case, the fisherman version without an aft cabin is extremely rare.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Not all fishermen were produced by Albin. A number of owners have done their own conversion. A fellow on the island where I live did a conversion and you could not tell that it had not been done at a factory! It really made the boat a great multi-purpose vessel for use by a couple.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Albinfisher
Mate
Mate

Post by Albinfisher »

Thanks for the reply. I brought the boat down from the BC coast. I can't find any numbers on the hull or a brass plate. The seller thought it was a 1975. Not fully sure if it is a true fisherman because it has been modified with a teak rail around the stern and a walk through transom. Both done very well. It does have a narrow combing space at the stern like the fisherman. It has a molded in space directly in the center of the back deck that looks like a large sump. It is pretty rough with no floors at this time which is good so I can access everything for repairs.
Albinfisher
Mate
Mate

Post by Albinfisher »

Does the aft cabin model have this molded in sump in the middle of the floor?
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

The next time I see John I will ask him if this might be the boat he modified. He makes a point of stopping by my boat every time he passes by and tells me he regrets having sold his! Going by memory here but I believe he made the modifications around 2011. My aft cabin model does not have the sump you referred to.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Albinfisher
Mate
Mate

Post by Albinfisher »

dkirsop wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 pm The next time I see John I will ask him if this might be the boat he modified. He makes a point of stopping by my boat every time he passes by and tells me he regrets having sold his! Going by memory here but I believe he made the modifications around 2011. My aft cabin model does not have the sump you referred to.
Do you remember what his boat was named?
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

The only Fisherman I know of is on the east coast - USA - with a Beta clone repower. 1973, I believe, and it has the original full displacement hull. Owner's name is Tom.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Here's info on a fisherman I saw FS on the internet a while back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Yup! That's (was?) Tom's!

Phasor is a Beta clone made in Florida, I believe.

When he bought it , it had a Yanmar repower, but it was so problematic he had the Yanmar pulled and the Phasor installed. Never quite found out what the problem was that prompted the change.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

When he bought it , it had a Yanmar repower, but it was so problematic he had the Yanmar pulled and the Phasor installed.
I wonder if that was partly due to problems with cold weather starting? Yanmars don't have glow plugs, so they tend to start hard during colder weather, that is anything below 50 degrees if they've been sitting & not warm from previous running.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

I finally ran into John and asked him about the Albin which he converted to a Fisherman. The name of his boat was "October Lady" and it was equipped with a newer 3000 Series 2 cylinder Volvo motor. Does this match your boat?
Hull No. 1013, 1971
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

My 1987 Albin 27 is a "Fisherman" model and instead of a drop canvas at the aft end of the pilothouse, it has a factory built teak wall with two doors that open outward. Obviously no aft cabin, just a large open cockpit. We really like the configuration, but the wall also makes the pilothouse noisier. Never seen or heard of another one.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”