• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Propeller Shaft

Albin's "power cruisers"
Reckman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

A25 Propeller Shaft

Post by Reckman »

New albiner here. Have a quick question - I have an odd looking bushing attached to the propeller shaft, It can spin and move freely, see pictures. What is it? should it be attached to something? Seems like it could do some damage when under way. I appreciate your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Re: A25 Propeller Shaft

Post by tribologist »

Looks like a zinc anode. You should replace it with a new one that fit tight. The make more stream lined ones too. Measure the shaft carefully so you get the right size.

https://www.boatzincs.com

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

I believe the OEM shaft on the 25's is metric and someone has probably installed a standard zinc - Metric ones are not always easy to find

You can remove it, put half in a vise and use a rough file on it to take off a few thousandths from each half and it will probably lock down tight on the shaft and function as it should

Yes, I'm a cheap SOB and hate to toss a perfectly good zinc just because it's a bit too large ;-)

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Reckman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cincinnati, Ohio

Post by Reckman »

Thanks, I appreciate it.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Looks just like mine!

Also looks like a Metric shaft based on the castle nut arrangement. SAE shafts are usually double-nutted with a different cotter pin placement.

I got my zincs at boatzincs.com also. It's called a collar zinc. Here...

https://www.boatzincs.com/collar-metric.html

My shaft is 30mm. I think the other popular size is 25mm. Measure carefully!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Just looking at your pictures. Is your rudder skeg cracked or corroded close to where it meets the keel?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Also looks like a Metric shaft based on the castle nut arrangement. SAE shafts are usually double-nutted with a different cotter pin placement.
Interesting observation. I've always wondered about my prop shaft. The difference in diameter between 25 MM and 1 Inch is .4 MM, or 0.016 inch, where a 25 MM shaft is 0.984252 inch and a 1 inch shaft is 25.4 MM. Guessing it's metric since there's no mention one way or the other in the documentation and receipts dealing with the re-power job that were passed on from previous owners. No mention of a new shaft nor SAE replacement cutlass bearing. Also if anything the shaft was probably shortened due to installation of the AquaDrive CV unit. The original left hand prop was replaced with a right hand prop with a nut ahead of the prop, but unfortunately not enough space to put a zinc collar on the shaft. Having a zinc on the prop shaft hasn't been a priority since this boat spends 99.5% of the time sitting on the trailer just like in this photo. The longest it's ever been in the water since we've owned it is six weeks at a time on three separate occasions, and two weeks at a time on two other occasions. Even then most of the time was spent away from marinas where stray currents might be a problem. Otherwise locally it's only one or two nights at at time in fresh water.
DSCN3631crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:39 pm
Interesting observation. I've always wondered about my prop shaft. The difference in diameter between 25 MM and 1 Inch is .4 MM, or 0.016 inch, where a 25 MM shaft is 0.984252 inch and a 1 inch shaft is 25.4 MM. Guessing it's metric since there's no mention one way or the other in the documentation and receipts dealing with the re-power job that were passed on from previous owners. No mention of a new shaft nor SAE replacement cutlass bearing. Also if anything the shaft was probably shortened due to installation of the AquaDrive CV unit. The original left hand prop was replaced with a right hand prop with a nut ahead of the prop, but unfortunately not enough space to put a zinc collar on the shaft. Having a zinc on the prop shaft hasn't been a priority since this boat spends 99.5% of the time sitting on the trailer just like in this photo. The longest it's ever been in the water since we've owned it is six weeks at a time on three separate occasions, and two weeks at a time on two other occasions. Even then most of the time was spent away from marinas where stray currents might be a problem. Otherwise locally it's only one or two nights at at time in fresh water.

DSCN3631crop.jpg

Hmmm, is this fact? Would metric verses SAE have a different sized nut? I have still not determined the right nut size on my boat, I cleaned up and filed the threads on mine and a 3/4" x 10 still will not go on so I am assuming its a metric thread?? Previous owner said it had a castle nut on it before it sank. So, I will source some steel metric nuts, maybe 19mm, 20mm, 21mm, see if they smoothly go on then if one works find one in brass/ bronze.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Hmmm, is this fact? Would metric verses SAE have a different sized nut? I have still not determined the right nut size on my boat, I cleaned up and filed the threads on mine and a 3/4" x 10 still will not go on so I am assuming its a metric thread?? Previous owner said it had a castle nut on it before it sank. So, I will source some steel metric nuts, maybe 19mm, 20mm, 21mm, see if they smoothly go on then if one works find one in brass/ bronze.
Similar size SAE & metric bolts & nuts may look close, but the threads are different. You'll know if you try putting an SAE nut on a metric bolt/shaft thread & vice versa. If it's the wrong type it'll jam within a half turn or so. Just like a 1/2 inch nut or bolt head is close but no cigar compared to a 12mm. Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:40 am
Similar size SAE & metric bolts & nuts may look close, but the threads are different. You'll know if you try putting an SAE nut on a metric bolt/shaft thread & vice versa. If it's the wrong type it'll jam within a half turn or so. Just like a 1/2 inch nut or bolt head is close but no cigar compared to a 12mm. Close only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades.
yup, thats what its doing, forcing it will start galling the threads so sure seems like the wrong size, so the question is.....what is the metric version of 3/4" x 10 ?? Which size is it and can I get one? The saga continues.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

Pacific Fasteners, 1st Avenue, Burnaby can likely source a metric nut for you. The other thing to check is whether you have an ACME thread as opposed to an SAE thread. The ACME thread has a square shoulder at the top rather than a sharp edge and is used in high torque situations.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Both M18 and M20 is 2.5mm pitch. Very close to 10tpi but you likely have a M20 since a 3/4-10 nut would probably on go but be sloppy just like a M20-1.5 oil filter spin on just fine on a 3/4-16 thread engine... for about 3000 miles.... friend lost engine that way. Jiffy quick lube

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Thanks guys, I'll give Pacific Fasteners a call, Fasten All in Duncan too.
Doesn't look like Acme threads either, I think.
Looking for someone on SaltSpring who has thread gauges.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The other thing to check is whether you have an ACME thread as opposed to an SAE thread.
wiley.jpg
:wink:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”