• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Want beautiful wood wheel too!

Albin's "power cruisers"
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Want beautiful wood wheel too!

Post by tribologist »

So many of you guys have nice wood steering wheels!
I love to swap out the original wheel since it should give more room at the helm. Anyone seen any good deals or have one for sale?

Is the hub 3/4” on the original helm?
I just noted it was “Made in Sweden” but on their webpage they list the first application as controls for a radio in the Spitfire.

Ulf
Last edited by tribologist on Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Re: Want beatuful wood wheel too!

Post by kerrye »

Personally I like the delusion of driving a 63 Falcon
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

If I had the later plastic wheel, which is known for busting after lo, these many years, I'd want a swap, too. I thought I wanted to replace my simple chrome wheel for a more boaty-spoked wheel, but I've grown accustomed to her ways. Not having wood knobs knocking my knees is a good thing. The internal spokes provide plenty of leverage and even with the smooth rim, I can still drive with my feet when I sit on the roof in the open hatch.

Whatever it is, I am almost certain it is metric in the hub, but apparently not difficult to swap since most everybody has. With everything you are doing, you can adjust the seat/wheel distance when you upgrade the seat.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

The long legged guy wants everyone to know he hates the old style wooden wheel. Knock, knock, knock - that was the spokes hitting my knees, not the engine. Got rid of that wheel two years ago and have never looked back.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

dkirsop wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:58 am The long legged guy wants everyone to know he hates the old style wooden wheel. Knock, knock, knock - that was the spokes hitting my knees, not the engine. Got rid of that wheel two years ago and have never looked back.

??? I thought this was your boat... I'm all over that bench design too...
Chair Folded.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

The picture is about 2 years out of date. Here is a more current one.
P1040880.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

You can tell the first picture is old because this was before Dkirsop initiated his semi-annual refinish and polishing of the underside of his seat.

Edit: "semi-annual refinish and polishing of the underside of his seat" FOR the storage of his shiny new phillips screwdriver.
Last edited by WillieC on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

dkirsop wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am The picture is about 2 years out of date. Here is a more current one.

P1040880.jpg
Whats the Philips screwdriver for?
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

That's the thing, each A25 has its own personality, customizations, small differences. Ours has a 'boaty' s/s 'destroyer' style wheel with teak handles. I can understand the "knee knock" issues, but I like those handles. I moved our seat back as far as possible, so that helps.
DSCN3638.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Helm.JPG
Helm.JPG
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

Posted pic above before adding text. I wanted a circular rim with a knob, but also want4d to keep the original wooden wheel. The rim is laminated using 1/16" strips of hardwood bent around a cruse form and glued with WEST epoxy. I also made the wooden knobs on our Morse trans/throttle control.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Nicely done! Every Albin is as unique as its owner. I enjoy seeing how people have adapted these boats to their own needs and personal preferences. My boat has provided me with great pleasure for its adaptability, dependability and economy. I have had bigger boats and more expensive boats but this one takes top honours as the best boat! Long live the Society of Compulsive Aquatic Tinkerers (SCAT for short).
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I wanted a circular rim with a knob, but also want4d to keep the original wooden wheel.
I believe the vernacular term is "Suicide Knob".
...just wondering, why they are called suicide knobs? why are they illegal?
There are a few reasons: One, they will sometimes grab a shirt sleeve and get snagged up right in the middle of a turn. Two: in the case of bump steer, they'll just about knock your thumb off and shove it down your throat for ya. Three: They've been known to pick the worst possible moment to break off, like right in the middle of a hard turn. None of those scenarios is very pleasant. That said, I've had one on several different vehicles and still like them.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... so.321496/

:D
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

How could you every drive a 57 Shiv with manual steering without one, regardless of the downsides?
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tribologist »

Nice work!
NickScheuer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:11 am Posted pic above before adding text. I wanted a circular rim with a knob, but also want4d to keep the original wooden wheel. The rim is laminated using 1/16" strips of hardwood bent around a cruse form and glued with WEST epoxy. I also made the wooden knobs on our Morse trans/throttle control.
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”