• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Noise and more noise

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gananoque ON

Noise and more noise

Post by Sunsetrider »

Today I moved Manatee from my muni marina to the marina where I winter store. Sad day all round. To my dismay, and despite my major project in installing 1.5 inch Soundown sound insulation in the engine box (it has heretofore seemed quite effective) I felt a loud vibrationy racket emanating from the aft area, and when I stuck my head into the fore cabin, from there as well. It is normally quite quiet in there. So I lifted the aft floor board (to make sure the intake valve was open) I thought the shaft was really vibrating instead of just spinning quietly. I was able to do all this while underway because of my excellent autohelm 3000. :)

So I am thinking that in the spring - or perhaps while on the hard? - I should find the sort of expert who would know how to address this kind of problem. The mechanics at my storage marina are really bus mechanics, so no joy there. I will start to make local inquiries to fin a trusted boat fixer.

Anyone else experience this?
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Noise and more noise

Post by dkirsop »

Failed engine mount?
Hull No. 1013, 1971
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

You can check the vibration I think by holding a screwdriver against the shaft and seeing if it bounces
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I concur it could be a motor mount
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

But I don’t want it to be a motor mount.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Just started? Something fouled on the propeller or bent blade from hitting debri?
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I'd prefer a motor mount to a prop. The Volvo Pentas, not known for leaking, HA!, direct the oil flow onto the mounts where it drips off and pools underneath and soaks into the rubber/steel interface. The rubber donuts themselves are not expensive, surprise, surprise! and while not fun to change, certainly doable, once you decide that is the issue. Then you need to align the shaft with the engine. Also not as tough as it sounds. Even though they used shims of varying thickness instead of, hmmm, THREADED ROD AND NUTS!!
Slow down, take a hard look at all the pieces and see where the problem lies. Not fun when you are trying to sell. Sorry for the setback.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

All I can say is the time you took us out for a ride on your boat a year ago it seemed very loud & much higher level of vibration than what we're used to on our boat. At the time I kind of chalked it up to being a Volvo engine with 12 more HP than we have. Engine mounts & shaft alignment are the first things to check. After that it's haulout time to check for dinged prop & bent shaft.
20170902_143559.jpg
20170902_152749.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

I definitely have not hit anything this season, and the question of motor mounts have been in the back of my mind for a while. I have seen examples of how the rubber compresses over time. I'm not sure how to check/verify that is the problem, and if it is, do I need to find a local yard to take on the project of replacing them. I imagine some heavy duty equipment will be needed to lift the engine.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Put a prybar under the engine and see if you can move the mounts with the bar.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

No heavy duty equipment required if changing is warranted. I removed my engine from the boat with the transmission attached with a bottle jack, chunk of chain, a 4X4, and 500 chunks of 2X wood scraps. Pictures in my long engine post. viewtopic.php?t=9381
Kerrye has it right. Rig anything up to try to nudge the engine, preferably upward at the oiliest looking mount. You'll quickly see separation.
Are you still in the water? Do you have a trailer?
IMG_0578.JPG
Actually I am downplaying how much scrap wood I used. When I got it all done I threw all the wood into the back of my pickup. I could have heated the shop for a year with it, but I am saving them...just in case.

In that MD17C post, I also have pics of the engine mounts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Excessive noise & vibration scared us away from buying this 1977 DeLuxe model in 2012, our introduction to Albin 25's when first considering switching from sail to power. It had been recently repowered with a 2004 vintage 4 cylinder 40 HP Volvo, but I can't recall now the exact model number. But on sea trial it was such a bone shaker we didn't dare run it above idle, so there was some problem with mounts or shaft alignment. Another cause for concern what how low the exhaust outlet was, which looked to be below the waterline. It eventually sold to a new owner somewhere in Oregon. Would be interested if anyone knows of or has seen this boat.
Albin (1280x960).jpg
A couple distinguishing features on that boat were the black painted steel trailer it was on and the galley had been cut out to fit an installed propane two burner Hillerange stove with oven similar to this:
hillerstove2-71001.JPG
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Still in water but poised for haulout. No trailer, no indoor work space, so there are challenges to the preferred approach of DIY in a cozy heated barn with cross beams and chains and pulleys, much as I would enjoy it. I could hire a guy with a hydraulic trailer and I have yard space, but I think the first move is to get a quote from a yard. I'll get down there this week with a crow bar as that is any easy one. Where is my SON when I need him??!!

Busy week as I am also trying to schedule a sea trial and survey for my next major headache, and temps are hitting highs of plus 4 C: (the ugly duckling in a sea of masts?)
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Sunsetrider wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 pm Still in water but poised for haulout. No trailer, no indoor work space, so there are challenges to the preferred approach of DIY in a cozy heated barn with cross beams and chains and pulleys, much as I would enjoy it. I could hire a guy with a hydraulic trailer and I have yard space, but I think the first move is to get a quote from a yard. I'll get down there this week with a crow bar as that is any easy one. Where is my SON when I need him??!!
I love that trawler!!
Busy week as I am also trying to schedule a sea trial and survey for my next major headache, and temps are hitting highs of plus 4 C: (the ugly duckling in a sea of masts?)
Sunsetrider
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sunsetrider »

Investigation crowbar -style reveals that the engine mounts, though no doubt tired, have not failed. So I will inspect the prop and shaft after haul out. It so happens I ha. A spare prop should that be the issue. The real vibes arrive only when underway at plus 1500 rpm or so. Not when revving in neutral at the dock.
1976 Albin 25 Hull 2529

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”