• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shaft removal a27

Albin's "power cruisers"
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Shaft removal a27

Post by dscott »

I need to remove the prop shaft on my ‘84 A27. I have the set screws out of the coupling but I can’t seem to move the shaft aft at all. I see some other screws on the coupling do they need to be removed too?

Thanks,
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Shaft removal a27

Post by Beta Don »

It's not unusual for the shaft to be frozen in the coupling and even with all the screws removed, it just won't budge. Remove the 4 bolts which hold the shaft coupling to the transmission flange and put a small nut (a 1/4 or 3/8ths) in between the coupling and the trans flange so it's centered on the shaft and put the 4 bolts back in the coupling and begin tightening them evenly - This will force the shaft out of the coupling. If it's still tight after the flanges meet, repeat with a slightly larger nut centered on the shaft and tighten the 4 bolts again. Eventually you will get it free from the coupling

On my 27, even when the shaft was free, it was still quite a job to get it out of the boat because there were barnacles on the shaft inside of the cutless bearing and it took lots of turning and pulling to break them off

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

Not sure if your 84 is the same setup as my 85, but I removed the prop shaft recently and found a big challenge to be with the supporting flange bearing between the transmission coupling and the shaft log. I was lucky the fuel tank and engine were out. The shaft was corrosion fused to the bearing. On the flange bearing and shaft:
- good shot of PB Blaster on shaft and set screws
- removed 2 set screws
- because bearing rotates with the shaft and reluctance to bang shaft to force freeing, put a short bolt in 1 set screw opening and propped a piece of wood from the keel up for a resistance point when the shaft rotated. Having the resistance was able the free the shaft by rotating it against it. Used the transmission coupling w/large screw driver as leverage to rotate.
- applied lithium grease on shaft before/after bearing.
- worked shaft by rotating and pulling/pushing via coupling.

Shaft was then free and moved smoothly.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Is your '85 a 4D61 or a Nissan LD28?

I know early model '84's with the 4D61's have no center bearing, while all LD28 equipped boats do . . . . I think. Not certain when things changed for sure though - There may be later 4D61's with a center bearing . . . . don't think there are any LD28's without one

If he has a center bearing, that really complicates things

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
SkipD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by SkipD »

My 85 had a LD28.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

'87 27FC with LD 28, HID # AUL27402E787, has no intermediate bearing but my shaft is 1 1/2". Somewhere around my hull #, things changed a LOT on the 27. Ben

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”