• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Vibration in rudder A27

Albin's "power cruisers"
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Vibration in rudder A27

Post by dscott »

On my way south I was waiting for the dismal swamp lock to open and drifted into a log. When I pot the boat in gear the engine stalled. Another boat pulled me free. After a day of running I noticed a vibration in the rudder. I had a shipyard look at it and they found a small bend in prop shaft and a slightly bent prop. Bother items were replaced. Test drive it and vibration is still there. What checks are there for the rudder? I’m at a loss troubleshooting this.

Thanks.
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
dscott
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Burlington, VT

Re: Vibration in rudder A27

Post by dscott »

Now that I think about it the vibration didn’t start until the next day after the bump in the canal. Could something have worn during that day of running like the cutlass bearing?

Thanks,
Dean Scott
Kestral
'84 A27FC Peugeot/Lehman 4D61
Burlington, VT
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Yup - A bent shaft can wear out a cutless bearing pretty quickly - That should have been checked by the guy who replaced the shaft, one would think

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

Completely agree with Beta Don. Also, you ask "What checks are there for the rudder?"

I wouldn't think the rudder is the cause of the ongoing vibration. It's seems likely directly related to the shaft and prop repair job.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Could the skeg or rudder bushing be damaged?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”