• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bringing her home & replacing the shaft log A27

Albin's "power cruisers"
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Clinton Harbor, CT

Re: Bringing her home & replacing the shaft log A27

Post by ChrisP »

I have a full enclosure. We just didn’t use it on this trip. Too much to see!
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

Chris,

Once you get the shaft log properly installed, you may want to consider a dripless shaft seal. Previous owners of mine had one installed and it works great. No more packing gland to maintain or worry about.

Dick
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ChrisP »

Thanks Mainer. My boat was upgraded with a PSS shaft seal by a previous owner. I disassembled it yesterday when I removed the shaft. Not much room in there. Indeed it is a great upgrade. It worked flawlessly all season.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

Nice story! Hope to do that trip next year. How was it to go through east river?

I also have an Isuzu industrial engine in my A25, the 3CB1. Mine has the original manifold followed by a cooled elbow. Do you have a cooled manifolf on yours?

Ulf
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ChrisP »

The East River was no problem. We entered the river under the Throgsneck Bridge two hours after high tide at the Battery. The water was roughest in Hells Gate due to the Harlem River emptying in, but not bad at all. Going with the tide we hit 10.6 knots somewhere around the Roosevelt Bridge. A speed record for us! When we entered the Hudson we were then going up against the outgoing tide and our speed slowed to a crawl. We only went 5.25kts until we got up past the Tapanzee Bridge.
There was lots of ferry traffic going every direction, especially the closer we got to the Battery and it continues up the Hudson past the USS Intrepid.
We had to wait just a few minutes for an opening in the commercial shipping traffic lane when we crossed the bay to go over to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Lots of barges, a few freighters, and again many ferries.
Make sure you are aware of the many security zones in NYC. The bridge pilings and all historical sites have a security zone around them. There are a lot of security boats around the city. We got a little too close to the USS Intrepid and a US Coast Gaurd patrol boat came out of nowhere and flashed his lights at us. We had (mistakingly) ventured into the security zone while trying to avoid a ferry and get some cool photos.

Hit the tide at the right time in the East River and it will be an enjoyable cruise.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Just wondering how your doing with the shaft log , which I'm assuming is one of those, weird to me, long extensions of the cutlass bearing fitting at the shaft outlet to a point forward where you can reach the original packing gland.
On my A27 the packing gland is directly inside the cutlass bearing . It's not easy to get at but no long shaft log . Could you eliminate the shaft log and have a more normal , at least on other boats , driveline?
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Your pix further prove to me that the 27FC is exactly what a longer-range cruising boat should look like. She's really nice, and I'm sure you will get a lot of joy out of her.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ChrisP »

DCatSea, thanks for the compliment. I couldn’t agree more. She is the ideal cruiser for a couple that wants to travel by boat at a slow speed and take it all in.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240
ChrisP
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ChrisP »

Warren, I haven’t completed the log shaft replacement yet. A busy November and sub zero weather has prevented any work on that portion of the boat.
I am very curious as to what the setup on your boat is. I would like to get some specific details on your actual setup. Id like to do away with the 6-7’ long logshaft if I can because there is little room to do a proper glass job in the keel.
Chris
1983 A27 FC
"ANNIE H"
Isuzu C240

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”