• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Interior piece identifying

Albin's "power cruisers"
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Re: Interior piece identifying

Post by ssrig »

Looking at your picture I would say that your engine cover is close to a foot shorter than later model boats, who knows what has been done with most of these plywood covers? The wood in my cockpit was replaced with something like Starboard or might just be Starboard and is not a good application for it, they have bent and warped out of shape, feels like walking on mush.
Anyway I was just kidding with you there DA, I was being competitive in a goofy way but just having some fun.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I was mistaken about 13.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Anybody got 13 yet? The overall angle sure looks like the piece in front of the aft cabin door. Not like mine, but the angle looks right. Don’t some models have a cutout for the back end of the engine box?

Without measurements, mistakes were made...

Here is my floorboard for the space right BEHIND the aft cabin door:
IMG_2273.JPG
I just found my first winter project. This is the only piece of plywood on the boat that doesn't have either paint or varnish on it. In my defense, we don't use it so it stays in the shop. Nice to have that hole to step into when accessing my storage areas: Costco-starboard and West Maroon-port.

I was looking at the A25 Rudder Issues post and VIOLA! That's #13! The angles are the same in front of and behind the door (a geometry thing, bisected trapezoid and more than I care to remember). Where's my prize? Other than the countless hours of entertainment I get from AOG.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by WillieC on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Yes the angles of 13 do look like the floor over the stuffing box. Mine doesn't have the ears on the side but it does have the finger hole.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Part of the identification can be accomplished by thickness. My floorboards in the cockpit are all considerably thicker than the materials in the V-berth and aft cabin.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

Number 4 sure looks like the right angles for the stuffing one, the angles on 13 just seem too acute for that area and zooming in the ply looks thinner than the floor piece next to it, the shape is different than vee berth in my boat boat but it has that one hole that maybe looks like the one for the slide in table? Thickness of each piece would be good.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Anyway I was just kidding with you there DA, I was being competitive in a goofy way but just having some fun.
Of course, no offense taken. Just wish we'd been able to meet up when we made a refueling stop in Ganges Harbor last July 23rd. That was just about the only stop on our Desolation Sound cruise where we didn't take any photos.
Looking at your picture I would say that your engine cover is close to a foot shorter than later model boats...
That was the major difference with the earlier models. The 1969-'72 engine beds are just as long as in newer boats, except in newer models the bed was shifted a few inches aft and in the older models the box was stepped with the back end below floor level, and hence looks shorter. Also, the only way to get at our engine is to remove the driver seat, swing open the cabin bulkhead, remove that first floorboard, unlatch the front of the box in the cabin, and lift the whole engine cover up, which is hinged at the aft end. In our case one of the previous owners cut a rectangular access hole with cover in the top near the starboard edge of the box so at least I can check the oil (Yanmar dipstick is on the right side of the motor) without opening up the whole box. I suspect the design change was necessary when Albin transitioned from the 2 cylinder AD21 engines to the 3 cylinder Volvos & needed the extra height at the back end.

This shows our Yanmar engine with the box opened up. The box steps down just behind the exhaust elbow, even with the panel where the coolant expansion bottle is hung. As you can see, it would be impossible to install a bigger/longer engine without making a new engine box or radically modifying the existing one. You can also see here how the engine bed/box extends a few inches into the main cabin.
DSCN3674.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

Interesting... I have been told that our boat is a -71 (dunno with what logic, the plate says "Ser. 2 No 465") but the engine bed is further aft than yours, also there's no opening/hinges to the front cabin, just a wall (which is the back wall of a cabinet on the cabin side). Don't have any better pictures than this one:
skumpan_engine.png
The engine btw is a Perkins Perama M20 with 18HP from -92 with an unknown amount hours on it
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

I’d say a later model if it has the wall with shelves and cabinets
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I have been told that our boat is a -71 (dunno with what logic, the plate says "Ser. 2 No 465")
That is interesting. According to the Albin History page on the Albineers of BC site, hull numbers 143 through 664 were 1970. 1971 models ran from hull 665 through 1126. Also according to this history, which is the only source I know of & can't vouch for its accuracy, Albin switched from 20HP AD21 engines to 36HP Volvo MD3B engines as some point during the 1971 production run. Perhaps that's what was meant by "Series 2"? Or maybe changes started in 1970 with "Series 2" being boats with an optional MD3B engine? Either way, 465 should be a 1970 boat.
Serial numbers.jpg
That said, I can only guess what "Series 2" actually meant. On our boat's nameplate the "Series" space was left blank.
DSCN3677.JPG
Also there's this bit mentioned in the "Albin Story"
The boat was available in both motor cruiser and motor sailer (see picture inset above) versions, and was also sold as mouldings for home completion. Brian Etheridge, who was then the managing director of Albin UK, owned one of the motor sailers and cruised on the Solent. "We had enormous fun," he says, "and it proved completely reliable in very varied conditions."
Having owned Catalina sailboats, I know they often made mid model year changes and didn't always document them well.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

See edit on my previous post for piece #13. (I shoulda made a new post.)
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Here are the cockpit floor pieces as designed for the older Mk I boats. I brought them home today to start work on refinishing as they are pretty ratty. They are laid out here just as they are on the boat. #1 is over the fuel tank, #2 is at the helm over where batteries would normally be but on my boat is where the holding tank is. #3 is behind and partially over the engine box (see 2nd photo), and #4 is the last one over the stuffing box & water lift muffler. The red outline to the right of #2 is a small piece right up against the side that I left on the boat. The round hole is so one can view the level of sewage in the holding tank by looking through a clear plastic inspection plate. The black bits are pieces of velcro used to help hold down carpeting.
20181111_152428_resized.jpg
This shows the cockpit area with the boards removed, and shows what the early model stepped engine cover looks like. This is why the box on the older boats looks shorter than the newer ones. The rectangular hole in the right side of the taller section of the box is an inspection cutout for checking oil with the cover piece removed. This is the major difference between older & newer boats. The wood panel, which in this case has a 110V household AC outlet, sits further forward than the newer models, leaving room to stow a cooler under the seat.
20181111_130246_resized.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
jerridsc
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Blanchardville, WI.

Post by jerridsc »

Very helpful display. I just tarped my boat for the Winter. I’ll be working in the shop making new floorboards and an entirely new galley. I look forward to seeking out more advice in the future. Thanks DA and all.

jerridsc
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Just finished repainting & re-installing floorboards with Rustoleum Marine Topside paint. One coat of Rustoleum Marine primer for wood & fiberglass followed by two coats of sand beige deckpaint followed by additional coat with anti-slip additive grit added, followed by 4th & final coat of paint without grit.
20181129_160531_resized.jpg
I just tarped my boat for the Winter.
Yeah, it's what passes for winter here too. For practically the first time this season the temperatures failed to reach over 70 degrees, reaching only 67 today & highs dropping to low to mid 60s for the next ten days at least. I know, you're busy breaking out those tiny violins.....
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:36 pm sand beige deckpaint

20181129_160531_resized.jpg
Looks great! I need to do some painting on SKOL. Floor boards, Helm overhead (rough fiberglass)
Is that really "Sand Beige" color? or "Oyster White" you used?

Sand Beige color swatch looks much darker on the Rustoleum website
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catal ... side-paint

Which color matched our 45~ yr old Hull best?

THANKS
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”