• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

DeLuxe vs. Non-DeLuxe

Albin's "power cruisers"
rbarkerscb
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, N.Y.

DeLuxe vs. Non-DeLuxe

Post by rbarkerscb »

Hi all. Is there some way to easily identify a Deluxe A25 from a non-Deluxe?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: DeLuxe vs. Non-DeLuxe

Post by WillieC »

Prior to DeLuxe, there is an intermediate Series II. (Just found that out this summer talking to our BC friends in Ladysmith.)
Simplest for me is the modified curve of the stern hull. Earlier models are bathtub shaped, later have slight downward curve at chine, easy to see out of the water. Inside changes were somewhat incremental and 45 years of mods makes a lot of that moot. I have yet to see or hear of another like mine with the fully removable engine cover held in place by gravity only. Very possibly not original, and maybe not a great idea, given some of the rough water we have seen. But easy, full access to the Volvo Penta MD17C is nice. With no removal or hinging of bulkhead wall or helm seat for access. I'd call that Deluxe!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Mine has that kind of engine cover
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

WillieC is #1585 or close to that. I can never remember. So there are at least two out there! Nice to know. I have gotten very used to it after being a little jealous of the hinge people. Until I see what all else has to move out of the way for full access. I am in the habit of full engine check before each use. Oh the things I have found...thankfully before running.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Prior to DeLuxe, there is an intermediate Series II. (Just found that out this summer talking to our BC friends in Ladysmith.)
Series 2 mystery solved! I wonder if there was a separate run of hull numbers for Series 2? ppaalo's boat is "Series 2 / #465". By rights hull # 465 should be a 1970 boat, but he says he was told it's a 1971. My #736 is a 1971 but his has what looks like a later engine box arrangement, that is no swinging wall panel. 1971 hull numbers are supposed to run from 665-1126. Does anyone have a "Series 1" designation on the brass nameplate? That space on the nameplate is blank on mine.
DSCN3677.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Another clue besides the obvious hull shape difference is the "Albin 25" logo trim piece on front corners the main cabin trunk. Early non-deluxe versions just say "Albin 25". Deluxe versions had "Albin 25 Deluxe", something like this, either in chrome or plastic. That is if they're still intact and in place.
Albin logo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

This thread here viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3343 says:
"In the early executions between 1973 and 1974, the "deLuxe" may or may not appear on the plaque, but it will be printed on the electrical circuit diagram on the inside of the electrical locker door."
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
ppaalo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Siuntio

Post by ppaalo »

Mystery solved again! I was at the boat this weekend and took my own advice and checked the circuit diagram, and there it says black on white that my boat is in fact series 2, model 70 and thus matches the hull number - year chart online. Although the circuit diagram is dated already in -69:
skumpan_circuit_diagram.png

The mystery with the shorter engine box and cabin in front of it was also solved:
skumpan_engine_box.png
Seems when the boat was repowered by some long ago PO (AFAIK in 1982 some Yanmar engine was put in, then in 92 or so the current Perkins), they apparently cut away the extra part of the box (since the engine fit inside) and built the cabin themselves, here's a picture of the cut and join (I hope that black tape is not what holds it together...).

There was also an AWFUL blue mat taped and screwed onto the engine box (could be for soundproofing reasons):
skumpan_engine_box_blue.png

...which I now finally removed and discovered this nice looking Albin removable cover underneath it, presumably for having access to checking enginge fluids without needing to open the full hatch? Gotta make this look good again for next season:
skumpan_engine_box_full.png
1970 Albin 25, no. 465 "Skumpan"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This is what the early "Series 1"/1971 factory stock short/stepped engine box is supposed to look like. Floorboards removed for refinishing.
20181111_130246_resized.jpg
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”