• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Propeller size for Albin 27’ family cruiser

Albin's "power cruisers"
Flcoastie
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Melbourne, Florida

Propeller size for Albin 27’ family cruiser

Post by Flcoastie »

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help me out with some questions on a 1986 Albin 27’ FC powered with the 78hp Nissan. My dad recently bought the boat and wants to know what the standard propeller size diameter and pitch is with this boat? Is it left or right hand rotation? The shaft size and what the prop clearance is to know what the biggest prop it can handle? Any information will be greatly appreciated.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Propeller size for Albin 27’ family cruiser

Post by tego »

I believe the answer varies, depending on the production date. My '87 27FC is a 18x14, LH, four bladed prop and my shaft is 1 1/2". This is, I believe, the original prop. I know there are some major differences in the earlier boats- even those with the same engine. There isn't any clearance room to go with a larger prop, but you could probably change the pitch, depending on how you use the boat and your patience factor. I cruise at about 1800 RPM and that gives me 6 Kts and about .75 GPH. Increasing to 7 Kts costs about 1.5 GPH. I can reach 9,5 Kts at 3700 RPM, but it gets very thirsty, becomes a water plow and you could surf on the wake! If you want to go fast, you bought the wrong boat! Some of the owners on here have larger engines and can go maybe 12 Kts and get up on a semi-plane, but with our keel, it's clearly more "displacement" than "semi displacement", and definitely not a planing hull. Ben
Flcoastie
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Melbourne, Florida

Post by Flcoastie »

Ben,

Thanks so much for the info. Dad’s boat currently has a three blade and he was wanting to replace it with a four blade. I’ll tell him to start looking for 18” diameter 14” pitch. He’s definitely not concerned with speed. There is another 27 FC in our town aptly named “Slow Ride” :lol:
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

My 27FC is an 87 and it happens to use an 18x14 RH. Nothing is ever easy with a boat!
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Hello Gunny, what engine are you running, and what reduction?
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

Nissan LD28 but not sure on reduction at this time.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Thanks. I guess that was the original setup. Mine's been repowered with a Yanmar 4JH3-TE, and whatever prop is on it isn't enough, I'm getting too much RPM. I'll pull it this spring and maybe have it repitched.
jumpjet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mt Juliet, TN Cumberland river

Post by jumpjet »

folks a bit late to discussion but search of forums led me here. 1988 FC, original Yanmar 4jh-dte. Just left boat this weekend and forgot to measure prop shaft dia.(boat 500 miles away) Will be hauling out soon and coordinating with yard so I can power wash, change anodes and inspect all before we start our journey on great loop. what size prop shaft anode?

Sooo--anyone with similar albin with yanmar 4jh-dte know the prop shaft diameter?

Thanks
Steve

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”