• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

air condition aft cabin A27

Albin's "power cruisers"
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

air condition aft cabin A27

Post by realtorknox »

I've installed an air conditioner in the forward cabin and would like to route the cold air I'm receiving there into the aft cabin by means of corrugated 3 or 4" hose. The source of the air is a 11,000 BTU portable rolled into the passageway and shrouded to reduce leaks. The unit is pushing more air than needed so I thought of installing a small in-line fan and routing thru to aft cabin. Anyone done similar routing? Suggestions more than appreciated.

Randall
Albin 27FC "Meridian" North Fort Myers,Fl
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: air condition aft cabin A27

Post by Beta Don »

On our 27 I used a 5,000 btu window unit to cool our aft cabin - One of the $99 Wal Mart variety. I mounted it in the starboard side locker facing aft and built a bulkhead out of small pieces of ply all around it to separate the cabin from the locker. When in use, we propped open the seat lid about 45 degrees on the locker to let the heat out. We had to run it on low cool, with the temp dial at least halfway down or it would freeze us out of the aft cabin

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

One of my winter lay-up jobs this/next year, is to replace the aging and non-working AC with a 5200 btu Mermaid cool only unit. The original is in the aft cabin, under the port side bunk. It is ducted to the front cabin. I believe the existing ducting and watering system will easily accommodate the new unit. The original has a duff compressor, and it will be cheaper to self install a newer unit. Reviews of the Mermaid unit are good, and it has a decent reputation.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
realtorknox
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: florida

Post by realtorknox »

Thanks guys. Good information. And Don, you have me thinking of buying a second air conditioner for the aft cabin. Great Idea.

Randall , "Meridian" 27FC, North Fort Myers, Fl.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”