• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A25 Teak Deck Cleats

Albin's "power cruisers"
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

A25 Teak Deck Cleats

Post by OldDemps »

Does anyone know of a USA / Canadian supplier / contact info / pricing for the replacement of the teak wood dowel only (250mm?) for the OEM A25 deck cleats?

My wood is rotting but the stainless holders ok.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: A25 Teak Deck Cleats

Post by smacksman »

Off topic here but I got a message from you asking for a link to my ICW cruise in my Albin 27 'Free State' from Charleston to New Orleans. It is in 10 parts in the playlist here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... uKp-vzUIcK

Try as I might, the message I received from you did not have a link to reply to, hence my intrusion into your post here. Sorry about that.
Happy Christmas and fair winds for 2019.
Roger Walker.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Check with "Coast Marine Industrial Supply, 1480 Bancroft Avenue, San Francisco, CA. Phone (800) 433-8050". They are supposed to be one of several US Plastimo distributors & the one closest to you. Plastimo's "trade area" is France & UK, but supposedly they can import through their US distributor chain. The teak bar cleats are certainly listed in Plastimo's current online catalog.
aateakcleat.jpg
https://www.plastimo.com/en/deck-equipm ... -9767.html

Also, in 2014 I purchased a pair of teak cleats including the posts identical to Albin stock originals to add a pair of midship cleats (cataloged as "teak bollards") from The Brassworks Inc of Deland, FL (email sales@thebrassworksInc.com), but I don't know if they still carry them or still have a source to special order. Not cheap though, $50 each plus shipping. In any case, The Brassworks Inc is a good source for classy cabin door latch & lock hardware.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Since you have all the stainless bits, I would look into just making the teak part as a DIY project. Buy a chunk of raw teak (lots of small pieces of it on eBay for a few $$$) or better yet, since it's for a cleat where strength and durability is important, find a chunk of epee which looks very much like teak, but is far stronger and lasts much longer too

If you did get lucky and found a source for the OEM cleat, it's likely they would want to sell you the complete item and not just the replacement wood part - They might be $50 or $60 each

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Look for Ipe. I’ve used it a fair amount. Very good wood
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

To follow up on my original post on sources for replacement OEM Teak deck cleat wood dowel (250mm length X 30mm dia).
I'm going to try 1-1/8th" (1.125" = 28.6mm) red oak dowel that were instock at Lowe's. a 36" length cost $6.50
I cut 36" dowel into four OEM 9" lengths for 4 cleat bars total. I stained them with Cetol Natural Teak and will see how they last.
I realized Red Oak is not a great wood for wet exposure but they're cheap ($1.62 each) and easily renewable if they rot bi-annually??
if they fail I will order "Ipe" wood dowels 1.125 diameter from http://www.dowelsondemand.com/prices.html for $6.02 per ft plus shipping
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I suppose you do realize you have to remove the posts from the boat to get at the set screws inside the posts that lock the dowels in place? $6 a foot for oak is a lot cheaper than teak.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

$2 per foot for Red Oak but mostly using it because it’s readily available, not to save a few bucks.
No I didn’t know the bollards have to be removed to replace wood. Thankfully the bolts are easily accessible from below but that makes for a 2 person job 🤯
It looks to me like the dowel insert set screw on mine is on the inboard side of the bollard and accessible on deck??
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Mine are like yours, OldDemps. I have a set off the boat and just looked at them. The mounting stud removes, and no setscrew therein.

Another difference in the early and later A25s!
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

On my boat, the thru deck mounting bolts extend up into blind holes in the dowels. The bolts are short enough that they do not bottom out in the dowel and the dowel essentially floats in the holders.The holes in the dowels are oversized so they can move, and thus not split due to moisture, but they are securely locked into their holders.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

Set screws were accessible on mine without removing the posts.
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

I was able to get teak dowels at Dowels on Demand (http://www.dowelsondemand.com/prices.html ). I ordered the 1.25 diameter not realizing they were metric so, they were a tad too big. :oops:

Access to a lath (which I don't have) would have made the fix easy but I do have a drill press. So, I bought this gadget (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005W ... TF8&psc=1 ) and sanded them down.

Checking the current price, I see Amazon has it listed at $55. :shock: It was only $35 when I bought it.

I have no further use for it so, make me an offer :D
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by OldDemps »

Which dowel wood type did you buy? Teak, Ipe etc

How much did they cost each, total, Shipping? Etc

My stock cleat bollar holes are 30mm diameter which is slightly bigger then 1&1/8” (1.125”)

My 1&1/8 wood dowel slide in easily after removing two small keeper screws on the inboard side of bollard.
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
stxray
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sea Isle City, NJ

Post by stxray »

I ordered 4 teak dowels, 1.25” diameter by 9” long @ 7.50 ea plus 7.50 postage. I thought the 1.25 would fit but as you say, the bollards are 30mm which is more like 1.125 (1 1/8"). It was not a big deal to sand them down to fit. As I said earlier, access to a lathe would be ideal but I was able to do it on my drill press using medium and then fine sandpaper.
Al Dente
1975 Albin 25 Deluxe, Hull #2350
Volvo Penta MD3B
Dinghy: 7'2" Achilles Inflatable w/ 2 Hp Honda
Residence: Southeast Pennsylvania
Homeport: Sea Isle City, NJ

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”