• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bimini for A27 FC

Albin's "power cruisers"
BarbWithey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Bimini for A27 FC

Post by BarbWithey »

The bimini on the Albin A27 FC that we just purchased is totally shredded and well beyond repair. Does anyone know of a company that has ready-made bimini's for this boat? We can have one made locally, but would like to be able to replace it quickly rather than wait for a custom bimini to be made. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Barb Williams & Bill Young
"Traveler"
Ruskin, FL (South shore of Tampa Bay)
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Re: Bimini for A27 FC

Post by Mainer »

You might wish to message Randall, who is a newer FC owner who lives in North Fort Myers, just up the Caloosahatchee River from Cape Coral. Also, there are at least two 27's at the Cape Coral city marina whose owners might have some knowledge that could help.

Different owners have different criteria for their biminis, and most makers would want to visit your boat anyway to be sure of the specs. In other words, they're all somewhat "custom".

Good luck, and congratulations on your purchase!

Dick
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

If you're reasonably handy, have access to a good sized room to work in like a garage, and can get your hands on a decent heavy duty walking foot sewing machine, it's not that hard to make your own. You can save yourself a lot of money if not time, and it's fun! Whether you buy canvas & materials locally or order on line, Sailrite.com has just about everything you need, included excellent step-by-step how-to videos with the tricks of the trade including patterning that can walk you through start to finish. I made new & upgraded canvas enclosure for our Albin 25 cockpit, plus Sunbrella covers to preserve the varnish-over-epoxy finish of the hand rails and hatch covers.

This is the machine we use, a Thompson Mini Walker. Sailrite's branded machines that sell for between $800 to $1,300 are essentially upgraded clones of the Thompson.
00e0e_6PkOzXOfeKv_600x450.jpg
I made this enclosure myself for $640 in Sunbrella canvas and other tools & materials which included $139 for a hot knife, $110 worth of UV proof HDPE thread (1,700 yard spool) and a lot of Velcro, snaps, & zippers. The thread and the hot knife have been used for numerous other projects since.
DSCN2099.JPG
Since then I've also made these bench seat cushions
20181129_160531_resized.jpg
So you never know how handy having a sewing machine around will be. It's a bit of a learning curve, but not all that hard. However, unfortunately it seems at least checking CL & Ebay there's not much available in your area in the way of reasonably priced machines like ours pictured above that I was able to pick up for $325.

https://www.sailrite.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

Hi Barb, I'm the Randall in North Fort Myers with a 27FC. We do have both a bimini and frame which is not in use as our Albin has been converted to a hardtop. The bimini is dark blue with no holes or tears. We can sell with the frame for $300.00 if interested. I can send you pictures later in day if interested.

Randall
Albin 27FC "Meridian"
North Fort Myers,Fl
RickLawrence
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by RickLawrence »

Check with Larry's Upholstery in Ft. Myers and ask for Kurt. He is amazing and prices are very reasonable.
Kurt's number is 239-246-4960. Tell him I sent you. Rick Lawrence, 1983 A-27 #8.
Mtnracerx
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg

Post by Mtnracerx »

Randall,

I'd be interested in pics of the bimini if the OP is not a taker.

Brett
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

Brett: I'll post some pictures, Randall
BarbWithey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by BarbWithey »

Thanks to all of you for all your advice. I DO have a sewing machine (actually, several sewing machines), but I'm not sure any of them, even with the walking foot, is up to constructing a bimini. Perhaps the one Randall has will work; I'll definitely contact him and see. If not, the Traveler is now at her new home dock in Ruskin, so we'll probably contact someone locally if Randall's bimini doesn't work out. It was somewhat of a long 2-day slog up the ICW, and we did run into a couple of issues, but nothing we weren't equipped to handle and we arrived safe and sound Sunday afternoon. Now the real fun begins. There is a VERY long "to do" list to bring Traveler back to her former glory.

Barb Williams & Bill Young
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

You got it home! Good for you guys! Now the real fun begins. Sounds like you are up to it. Do keep us posted as you make progress.
Randall
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Randall »

The bimini has been sold.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”