• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Bow Thruster in an Albin 25 or 27?

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Bow Thruster in an Albin 25 or 27?

Post by NickScheuer »

This is just an academic question, but has anyone installed a Bow Thruster in their 25 or 27? We like our 1976 A-25 Deluxe just as she was built. After seeing how a competent skippers make their single screw lobster boats fairly "dance" anywhere along the Maine coast, I figured it would be worthwhile (and fun) to learn how to do the same in our A-25. The DuNORD is our first power boat following 55 years of sailing since childhood. Over 7 years of ownership we now do OK with harbor and marina maneuvers.

The question is prompted by a post over on the Trawler Forum wherein someone tells a newbie to get a boat with a bow thruster, even with twin screws. I'm thinking if one has twin screws what more is needed?
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Bow Thruster in an Albin 25 or 27?

Post by tego »

The vessels on Trawler Forum are much bigger boats with a lot more windage. Bow thrusters are handy when you have heavy currents thru a marina or high winds are common. I've had much larger boats (sail and power) and never had a " requirement" for a thruster, but one would have come in handy a couple of times. Our smaller boats handle extremely well and I've never felt a need for a thruster. Our single screws can easily turn in their own length with a little practice. I always dock "bow in" , since it's easier and my 27' boards on the side close to midship. Bow and stern thrusters are a PIA and something else "to go wrong" IMHO.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

The DuNORD is our first power boat following 55 years of sailing since childhood.
A25's are not that much different than sailboat hulls and behave similarly, although deep draft full keel sailboats with inboard auxiliaries are even harder to back up. With a little practice you can do a lot with "rudder kicks". For example for tight 180 turns, if you have a right hand prop try to make right turns, or with left hand prop like with Volvo engines, do left turns. Let's say your boat has a left hand prop Volvo. You're in a tight fairway & need to turn around 180. Start at the right hand side of the fairway (allow for wind & current), put helm hard over to port and leave it there. Give a good shot of power to get moving, then about 45 degrees through the turn shift into reverse (easy, don't slam), and back up slow. Prop walk will pull your stern to starboard some. Back slow a little way & let the stern pull to starboard, essentially a K turn. Then shift back to forward gear, all the while leaving the helm hard-a-port, give another "kick" of power to continue ahead & turning. Repeat as necessary & complete the turn in little more than a boat length. Just be sure to leave room for your stern to swing out without hitting anything.

Similarly the A25 will back up fairly straight with a little prop walk, so if you need to back any distance in a straight line, get enough sternway on for the rudder to have some steerage, and occasionally may have to shift back to neutral (while coasting astern) then to forward gear and use a short burst of forward power & opposite rudder to "kick" the stern over to line up straight again without totally stopping your rearward motion before shifting back into reverse.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

That is a succinct description. Practice, practice, practice!
I'll make sure the Starfleet Commander sees this. Thanks!
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

One of the main reasons Maine lobster men can make their boats "dance" is that their rudders, props and engines are larger than ours. My 27 has a bow thruster and the fairway into my summer slip is pretty narrow. Also, when we travel and rent a slip for overnight, it's often in a tight space that needs backing in for best access. The thruster is a fantastic tool. Possibly not a practical investment for A25, but I sure like it on our boat.
Louma
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ottawa, Ontario

Post by Louma »

Hello,

We do have a bow thruster (SidePower SP40S2i ) installed by previous owner on our Albin 25.

As others said, not absolutely necessary to enjoy the boat...but when you have it you really appreciate it in certain situations. We had the boat docked at a marina on the Ottawa River just below the mouth of the Gatineau River. So strong current and windy place. Thruster was almost essential to be able to backup in our spot.

Also, we are now on the Rideau River system and we do many, many locks during our trips on the Rideau, St-Lawrence, Ottawa and Trent-Severn. The thruster is very useful for lockage, it does make it much easier and quicker to get in and out the locks,

This being said, we certainly would not have paid for the cost (and trouble) of installing a thruster ourselves....BTW, it has its own dedicated battery located near the thruster in the bow. We have had the boat for 3 seasons now with no problem on the thruster, but is is certainly another thing that can go wrong on a boat, just crossing our fingers!

Louis
Mariol
Albin 25 - 1971- Hull no. 748
Ottawa, Ontario
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

An outboard on a drop down bracket at the stern increases manieversnility and provides alternative propulsion. A more versatile option than a bow thruster
Mainer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: South Portland Maine

Post by Mainer »

To NickScheuer re your comment re "I'm thinking if one has twin screws what more is needed?"

We owned a 40 foot Carver ACMY for several years that we kept in FL. It had twin Cummins diesels and although it had a lot of windage, I could put that boat anywhere I wanted or needed.

Once the operator "gets" how to use twin engines, maneuvering in tight spots is wonderfully simple.

Dick
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Post by NickScheuer »

We've seen (and photographed) Maine Lobster Boats on the hard and have studied their 30" caged props. Still, the Albin-25's 16" prop is a lot larger than Many recreational boats of similar size and displacement. The DuNORD's prop "walks" nicely when needed.
A251975
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sequim,WA

Post by A251975 »

Whether ‘needed’ or not, I installed a Lewmar 110TT on my A25 this past fall and a cruising buddy installed one on his A25 last year. They fit very nicely on the A25 though we did have to replace the water tank. Did we do this because we needed a thruster or just needed a winter project....who knows. However, I have had some very nervous situations with narrow fairways in windy marinas. So far I’ve survived without a thruster, but it did take the pleasure out of pleasure boating at the time.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Needed a winter project...now that's funny. So is this a real through-hull thruster, sounds like it if you removed the water tank. You have skills! Any pictures?
It also sounds like there are two more functioning A25s in my general area. Introduce yourself on the main page. Welcome aboard!
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

After 17 years of maneuvering a single-screw inboard houseboat (talk about windage), I have to agree with Willie C, practice, practice, practice. If you don't have the time, then by all means get the thruster.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Met one fellow who had a STERN thruster on his 27S. Swore by it backing into the slip. And a houseboater I knew some time ago had a pair of trolling motors for "stern thrusters". One pushed one way, one the other.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Our previous owners had installed a tall retractable trolling motor on the swim platform with wired remote that could be operated from the helm. I removed it & sold it since it just seemed to be in the way more than any help. Not sure if the purpose was for maneuvering or slow trolling for fishing, which I never asked about. Also shows the snap davit arrangement for the old dinghy and the old canvas enclosure with small rear window flap & no side windows. Now how in the world was one supposed to be able to see backing up without folding the entire canvas forward?

Here's a photo of it that was posted on the PO's Craigslist ad:
Albin rear starboard 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

The prior owner of our A27FC installed a bow thruster and I'm glad he did. I've had a lot of boats over the years, both sail and power, including a French canal boat, and I've had LOTS of practice backing and filling in tight situations. So happy to have the thruster, makes life all that easier, especially when single handing. You won't regret having one.

And, if you want to be a purist, you don't have to use it unless you REALLY need to use it!

Jay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”