• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

An Albin 28 motor-sailer variant. Who knew?

Albin's "power cruisers"
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

An Albin 28 motor-sailer variant. Who knew?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

This Albin 28 motor sailer in Bellingham showed up on CL three weeks ago. Very interesting. Many similarities to an Albin 25 including center cockpit/aft cabin layout and skeg hung rudder & protected prop. Except it has more of a real sailboat hull & shoal keel, a more rounded "tumblehome" stern, a "dodger" style windshield with canvas cover instead of a full pilothouse. Appears to draw about 3 or 4 feet. Otherwise the inside helm station to starboard with bench seat, the aft cabin quarter berths, the forward cabin galley & head compartment, the seating arrangements in the cockpit are very much like the 25, except there's a dinette to starboard in the forward cabin. But otherwise the settee/V berth up in the forward cabin is much like our 25. And of course it's 28 feet long with 9 foot beam, so more comparable in size to a A27. It's a 1977 that has a 3 cylinder Volvo, but doesn't say which model, either MD3B or the MD17C. Can anyone tell which model engine this is by looking at it? But wow! Only 4,000 hours on it, gee whiz! (snark). Seller says he motorsailed it all the way down from Juneau, AK to Bellingham, WA in 2017. On the hard in Bellingham, no trailer. Asking $7.5K.

I won't post a link to the ad, but it can be found on Seattle CL.
00n0n_3mXPUT0z19F_1200x900.jpg
00x0x_78GlHFqTvzF_1200x900.jpg
00p0p_abGkvaw1DUE_1200x900.jpg
00303_83OpNpHjuJK_1200x900.jpg
00e0e_5FbNzs8sCzH_1200x900.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Re: An Albin 28 motor-sailer variant. Who knew?

Post by Dieselram94 »

Your right, striking similar to a 25. It’s pretty cool.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Would that be an Albin Vega? Saw one in Poulsbo a couple years back. I recognized the windows and commented to the Starfleet Commander how much they looked like ours. Sure enough, Albin Vega. But I don't know anything about sailboats....

As to the engine...that sure looks like the MD17C heads. The 3B has two additional nuts/studs on the intake side . However, note the missing compression release levers (and port for same adjustment in valve covers) thus making it.....drum roll, please......an

MD17D.

Nice find. These babies have a much more robust duty rating, like you need it in a sailboat.
I should buy it, scrap the boat, and have YET ANOTHER VP engine to fool with.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Post by dkirsop »

And for the detail freaks among us you can find the drawings at the digital museum. Here is one of them.
1996_14_76_11a-c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Update, this is actually known as an "Albin 82MS", apparently the 82 is 8.2 Meters, so it's really a 27 footer. In this version there's no roof over the windshield as seems to be indicated in Dave's drawing.

Here's some more pics/drawings...
Untitled.jpg
82MS under sail.jpg
82ms line drawing.jpg
Notice it has both wheel AND tiller steering. With mast, sails, 2,000 lb keel & 7,500 lb displacement I bet it doesn't snap roll in a beam sea like the A25 does!

Got in touch with the owner. He's going to be pulling it off the market for the summer so his son can live on it on Orcas Island while he works a construction job there. Should be back on the market next fall. This would not be a boat I'd want to trailer, but instead keep in one place with the mast stepped. The whole idea of the 25 was to be able to trailer without dealing with mast raising.

Here's a blog from an owner of perhaps the only other one in the Pacific NW:
Being a relatively heavy boat it takes a good breeze to motivate it. Under sail average speed with
moderate winds is in the 5 to 6 knots range. Under power it cruises at 6+ knots @ 2500 RPM -
*Yanmar 3GM30F (27HP), "Campbell Sailor" 3 blade, 15 in. R8 prop. At"cruising speed" fuel
consumption is 1.8 liters/hr. Half Mood was been re powered in late 2004. The engine now has 400+
hours on it. It seems that the more hours it runs the better the fuel economy. This is especially true
when operating WOT for several hours.
http://www.mysailboat.ca/albin82ms/index.html

Sounds a lot like my boat except a better sailing boat, and in his case has the same Yanmar 3GM30F engine as mine. Which is actually rated 24 HP continuous, with 27 as max for short periods.

Another photo of one in Sweden under sail, picked off the internet. I could deal with that!
Albin 82 MS onder zeil.jpg
Here's a video clip on one in Sweden under sail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3dKxgcezjM

Nice find. These babies have a much more robust duty rating, like you need it in a sailboat.
I should buy it, scrap the boat, and have YET ANOTHER VP engine to fool with.
Hey watch out WillieC, I got dibs! :-)
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”