• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 "cold storage" ...what uses??

Albin's "power cruisers"
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

A27 "cold storage" ...what uses??

Post by coolchange »

I'm bored and wondering what you other 27 owners do with the little refer/ice-chest thing on the stern end of the galley counter.

First try I just put in some ice and veggies....not so insulated and sharing a wall with the engine compartment stuff had a chill factor for maybe a few hours.

Second try: add insulation to sides and bottom...added some longevity to the storage but no dice for an extended (long day) trip..and certainly no good for multiple days

Third: dry storage of non-perishables...works ..but so does a box on forward shelf.

so, what do you guys do??
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Re: A27 "cold storage" ...what uses??

Post by DCatSea »

That's where I keep the Plymouth Navy Strength Gin and Schweppes tonic. Ice is in the cooler.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Randall
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: North fort myers,fl

Post by Randall »

I put wine/water and an igloo maxblock and things stay pretty cool for 3 day cruise. But I like the gin and tonic idea.

1986 Albin 27 FC
"Meridian" North Fort Myers, Fl
Randall
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

When I redid the galley I added extra insulation on the forward side of the box and then used expandable foam around every opening. I CAREFULLY drilled some access holes on the hull side and opened up access to the space between the box liner and the hull, injected more foam there all in all I think I fired off 10 cans of the stuff. I redid the box lid with more insulation as well and installed an Isotherm refrigeration unit. It works great.

I put a YETI box in the space beneath the settee in front of the bulkhead, we use that for cold drinks and other items which don't need to be as cold as the temp in the box.

This viewtopic.php?p=55571#p55571 might get you to the section of my thread that shows the icebox work, otherwise you'll have to scroll thru it

Jay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”