• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mini-adventure:Swap dinner out for sail on Albin 25?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Seabear
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Mini-adventure:Swap dinner out for sail on Albin 25?

Post by Seabear »

Ahoy. In our quest looking at Albin 25's to buy, we are eager to get aboard one and feel it under us on the water, see how it handles and steers, etc., before we buy one on the hard.

So Maties, to any of you Albin 25 owners who live on the East coast and are blessed to be on the water, we make this offer:

We will swap a dinner out for 2, your choice of restaurant, for a chance to visit you and your Albin 25 for an hour and get the feel of your boat on the water. And of course, we can share lots of boat talk!

Thanks!
Jacqueline and Bob Clark
Jrclark1948@gmail.com
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Mini-adventure:Swap dinner out for sail on Albin 25?

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

I'd be glad to take you up on your offer, but first you'll have to hop a plane flight out to Phoenix. Bring shorts & warm weather clothes, it was 80 here yesterday, although we're headed for a cool down next week to upper 60s to low 70s.
600_479212855.jpeg
This was our view in the cove
20190303_173647.jpg
Anyway, the A25 steers, tracks & handles head on waves well. It doesn't like beam seas much & tends to sharply rock & roll when waves come at you from the side, what with a round hull & no weighted ballast like a sailboat. Otherwise it's pretty docile, and as a displacement or semi-displacement hull design depending on model year, cruises between 6 & 7 knots and very miserly on fuel consumption, in the 10 to 12 nautical miles per gallon range. But these are sturdy, sea worthy boats & can take more than you can.

We had to get towed once in rough water off Nelson Island on British Columbia's mainland "Sunshine Coast", which is another whole story, and we did fine. It looked like this:

20160711_091513-1-1.jpg
Here's a shot of another A25 (owner unknown) in rough water.
ablinwave.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I'll second DA's offer. First let me get it back in the water. We are about an hour from Seatac. I'll keep you posted!

(DA, can you make out the name on that A25? That hardtop looks a lot like mine. Where did you take that and when? Looks like Star...... could that be Starsailor???!! Yep, that's it!
That used to belong to Joe DuQ of BC Albineers. He has since sold it and moved on to the darker side of, well we need not go into all of that. He upsized the engine in that A25 and like the muscle cars of the 70s it passes everything but fueling stations. Great guy, extremely knowledgeable about all things boaty. Met them in Sidney last summer.)
IMG_3147.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Seabear
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Post by Seabear »

You guys ar great! You’re right, DesertAlbin736, we would need to take a (long) hop to Phoenix. We hail from Maine, is why. (Admittedly we sometimes travel south to Florida and would travel that far for a test hop.) It’s good to know there are water bodies near Phoenix sufficient for an Albin 25! Have you spent time on Lake Mead?
We aren’t likely to head west as far as you folks at least until Spring, 2020, but we really appreciate your kind-hearted replies to our posting. Thanks for the pictures! Maybe we will cross paths one day.
Dieselram94
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockland, Maine

Post by Dieselram94 »

Seabear wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:56 pm You guys ar great! You’re right, DesertAlbin736, we would need to take a (long) hop to Phoenix. We hail from Maine, is why. (Admittedly we sometimes travel south to Florida and would travel that far for a test hop.) It’s good to know there are water bodies near Phoenix sufficient for an Albin 25! Have you spent time on Lake Mead?
We aren’t likely to head west as far as you folks at least until Spring, 2020, but we really appreciate your kind-hearted replies to our posting. Thanks for the pictures! Maybe we will cross paths one day.
Where in Maine are you? I’m in midcoast area. Mine is stored for the winter, and hoping to get lots of work done to it once it warms up. If you’d like to take a look just let me know. Mine is not for sale, but happy to let you check it out.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

(DA, can you make out the name on that A25? That hardtop looks a lot like mine. Where did you take that and when? Looks like Star...... could that be Starsailor???!! Yep, that's it!
I didn't take that photo, it's just one of many in my vast collection of A25 photos Googled off the internets.
It’s good to know there are water bodies near Phoenix sufficient for an Albin 25! Have you spent time on Lake Mead?
No, we haven't put our Albin in Lake Mead, nor Lake Havasu or Lake Powell either for that matter. In years past I once had a Montgomery 15 sailboat that I sailed a couple times on Lake Havasu, and also raced a couple times off Monterey in California, plus sailed San Diego Bay, then up the coast to San Pedro (Los Angeles harbor) and on to Catalina Island when we had a Catalina 25 sailboat. In September 2017 we did an extended road trip with our camp trailer and among many other stops we visited my elderly aunt in Bar Harbor and her daughter, my cousin, in Hampden, ME. From there we drove south down I-95 to Westerly, RI to stay with some friends, so we drove right past Cape Elizabeth.

We had a good laugh when we saw this car belonging to the "Bah Hahbah hahbah mastah" parked on the main drag in downtown Bar Harbor.
20170905_144035.jpg
Although it was tongue-in-cheek, if you were ever out this way we'd be glad to take you out for a ride. It's nice here now, but from mid to late May on it's over 100 degrees here through the summer.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”