• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1985 Albin 27 info

Albin's "power cruisers"
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: forked river nj

1985 Albin 27 info

Post by yanmar »

looking at a 1985 27' on craigslist . Was hoping to get info before I make the trip to see it but unfortunately there is not much info on the internet that I can find . Is the hull solid glass or cored and if cored what material ? What is the max speed that the boat is capable of and what H.P. would it take to achieve this . I searched the forum and did not find this type of info .
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: 1985 Alin 27 info

Post by tego »

Look at the "Albin 25 & 27 true classics" category here and you will find all about the 27FC. This is not a fast boat no matter what engine you want to put in it! It's designed for about 7 mph (6.6 knot hull speed). You can push it to about 10mph, with a monster wake and lots of fuel. The engines range from 60 to 157HP from the factory. It's NOT a planing hull and it has a relatively deep keel (18"). There are quite a few of them out there and they are usually in demand -especially a good one. I love mine-an '87 model. Ben
Shogun
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Stratford, Ct

Re: 1985 Albin 27 info

Post by Shogun »

My Albin 27 Sport with 157 HP can go 14 knots and cruises nicely at 10-12. My understanding is that the hull is mostly solid glass and cored in certain areas. Not sure what the core is. I love our boat - have put about 300 hours on in 3 years since purchased. How she was maintained is the main thing to look at in my opinion. Britt
Britt Hughes -
Albin27 Sport
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by yanmar »

Shogun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:23 am My Albin 27 Sport with 157 HP can go 14 knots and cruises nicely at 10-12. My understanding is that the hull is mostly solid glass and cored in certain areas. Not sure what the core is. I love our boat - have put about 300 hours on in 3 years since purchased. How she was maintained is the main thing to look at in my opinion. Britt
That's my dilemma , I have most people tell me that the boat is not capable of speeds higher then 10 knots . I found a 27 that is a blank slate ( no power ) on the cheap and the owner who is in the marine business swears that with the right hp and correct 4 blade prop that it will cruise at 17 knots and top out at 22 knots . I would love to find info on what prop ( size and pitch ) and what gear ratio is required . I would use a Yanmar 4 lha 240 h.p. .
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

yanmar wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am
Shogun wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:23 am My Albin 27 Sport with 157 HP can go 14 knots and cruises nicely at 10-12. My understanding is that the hull is mostly solid glass and cored in certain areas. Not sure what the core is. I love our boat - have put about 300 hours on in 3 years since purchased. How she was maintained is the main thing to look at in my opinion. Britt
That's my dilemma , I have most people tell me that the boat is not capable of speeds higher then 10 knots . I found a 27 that is a blank slate ( no power ) on the cheap and the owner who is in the marine business swears that with the right hp and correct 4 blade prop that it will cruise at 17 knots and top out at 22 knots . I would love to find info on what prop ( size and pitch ) and what gear ratio is required . I would use a Yanmar 4 lha 240 h.p. .
Thats Albin 28TE numbers for speed - you'll need 300 hp for that
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

agreeing with above ...this will never be a fast boat (and be anywhere near "normal") maybe fitting a couple of 250 outboards :) The person telling you 17 and 22 sounds like a typical salesperson wanting to make a sale..not a happy customer. IMHO a boat this old with no engine ought to be free..or very close to it
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

yanmar wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm looking at a 1985 27' on criagslist . Was hoping to get info before I make the trip to see it but unfortunately there is not much info on the internet that I can find ... I searched the forum and did not find this type of info .
:shock: More Albin 27 info than you can shake a stick at can be found on my website listed below. Or just google “Albin 27 Buyers Guide”. All your questions are answered in detail with photos and specifics.
yanmar
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by yanmar »

JT48348 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:06 am
yanmar wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 pm looking at a 1985 27' on criagslist . Was hoping to get info before I make the trip to see it but unfortunately there is not much info on the internet that I can find ... I searched the forum and did not find this type of info .
:shock: More Albin 27 info than you can shake a stick at can be found on my website listed below. Or just google “Albin 27 Buyers Guide”. All your questions are answered in detail with photos and specifics.
Thank you for that information , it is exactly what I needed .

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”