• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Flange bearing for 1 1/2'' shaft.

Albin's "power cruisers"
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey mooring

Flange bearing for 1 1/2'' shaft.

Post by EZC »

While I was doing a recent repair on my A27's ld28 engine. I noticed the flange bearing that supports the shaft about midway between the transmission coupling and the log bearing was really rusted badly. Has anyone replaced theirs or know about replacing one? I am going to replace it and would like to find the exact same size if possible. It is a 4 bolt, about 5" x 5" and the shaft is 1 1/2". The number I can see on it is RF 4507. I did a search with that number but nothing came up, try again tomorrow.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Flange bearing for 1 1/2'' shaft.

Post by tego »

EZ, What year is your vessel? My '87 has the same engine and shaft size and I have NO intermediate bearing. They put them in our boats from the beginning for the smaller shafts, but a 1 1/2" shaft is NOT going to "wobble". I guess they finally figured that out and left it off. My HIN is AUL27402E787. Yours? Ben
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

Ben, I have an 87' SC. I'll check out the hull number. I did see where some other members did not have them. I'm getting ready to pull the boat and I'm going to pull the existing flange bearing because of the bad shape it's in. Now I have to figure out if I should replace it.
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

Ben, I just talked to a guy at a prop and shaft shop and he looked up the shaft size and length and it looks like it can go either way with or without. So I think I am going to replace it just to be safe.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Hm. I don't know if my 87FC has one or not, I haven't seen one, yet, but I'll check. About where is it located? I would think that engine size/torque would be a factor, so the SC may need one, the FC, not.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

It would be located on the bulkhead under the shelf under the cockpit that the old 72 gallon fuel tank rested on before they went to twin 50 gal tanks. Access would be extremely difficult. EZC and I have the same engine and shaft so would be same torque factor etc, but the SC vessel may not be as stiff as the FC. I've put a hatch in my cockpit sole to access the great storage area under there. Ben
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Well I just checked and I do NOT have the bearing. I put my little flash camera down by the stuffing box and took a pic forward, it could see all the way to the engine. No intermediate bearing and no evidence of there ever having been one. btw my HIN is AUL27375A787
Bill
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Post by TorreyWP »

My 27FC also does not have the intermediate bearing.

AUL27252C585

I feel like there is another thread about this bearing and its replacement. At any rate, the shaft is going to need to come out of the boat so other items to consider addressing are the cutlass bearing and the stuffing box. This would be a great time to upgrade to a PSS or Strong Seal type of dripless box. Be sure to scrutinize the shaft's wear surfaces when removed.

Start soaking the shaft coupling on the back of the transmission with your favorite rust penetrating oil in preparation!
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
EZC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by EZC »

On my SC access is really good and I found a replacement NTN bearing. I have the twin 50gal tanks and good access to the shaft between the tanks. Good call on the shaft coupling no sense waiting and spending extra time in the yard. Curious to see how the stuffing box, bearing and rudder are holding up.
paulrhein
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cinco Bayou Florida

Post by paulrhein »

Mine was seized and I have a new bearing to install in the near future.

https://www.facebook.com/nwflbimmer/videos/10155880338683920/

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”