• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Powering a 25 with a tiny outboard?

Albin's "power cruisers"
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Powering a 25 with a tiny outboard?

Post by dkirsop »

I recommend using the boat first before deciding on a course of action. I cruise a majority of my time at 1600rpm and noise is not an issue. When cruising I plan for an average speed of 6 knots and seldom have to increase my rpm. You may find there are other competing upgrades that have a "higher priority" with your crew - galley upgrade, hot water, interior decor, etc.

Live on the boat for 3 days in continuous pouring rain and then decide on your list of improvements. Clarity is a wonderful thing.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Gotta say that the redneck solution works pretty well, and looks kinda funky too. It just needs a bicycle handlebar grip to make it fancy.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Bear in mind that an Albin 25 is basically a sailboat. Look around the marina and see what size auxiliary your rag-boat neighbors are using.
For reference, my last boat previous to "going over to the Dark Side" with the Albin 25 was a wing keel version Catalina 25 sailboat (which I sold to new owners in 2013). Actually weighed more than the Albin considering it had a 1,750 lb weighted ballast shoal draft wing keel, but otherwise similar size & displacement. It had no inboard engine but instead an outboard was its only auxiliary power, in our case an 8 HP long shaft 4 stroke Tohatsu. That motor pushed it easily to hull speed. However, this was a tiller steered boat, so one could reach back to operate the motor, even swing it side to side for close in maneuvering. I had a nifty shift/start/stop/throttle cable control that attached the tiller handle which made it even easier to deal with & didn't have to reach back to the motor. Sure you can lock the outboard in place and steer from the helm station, but how are you going to control the motor? You would have to run a remote shift/throttle cable control up to the helm. You could get away with a 6 HP motor. Doable I suppose, but if you do that you'd might want to consider going with at least an 8 HP motor which is the smallest you can get with electric start. I don't know if they sell and ship overseas, but the type of spring loaded lifting motor bracket as seen on my old Catalina can be purchased from Catalina Direct parts store based in Sacramento, Californina. That 8 HP size four stroke motor weighs 95 lbs, (43 kg). Tohatsu motors in my experience are very reliable. Also, all Nissan and Mercury outboards under 10 HP are actually re-branded Tohatsu. A 9.9 HP Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury is essentially a tweaked 8 HP, same cc cylinder displacement.
DSCN0642 Guest dock at Oceanside Yacht Club 7-16.jpg
DSCN0632 Departing Avalon, 7-14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Live on the boat for 3 days in continuous pouring rain and then decide on your list of improvements. Clarity is a wonderful thing.
It rains in the Gulf Islands? Who knew? :lol:
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

"The ob at the Stern is a homebringer... Not more."
As a "home bringer" our dinghy with 2.5 HP 2 stroke outboard could work as last resort. We have towed other boats short distances by lashing our dinghy to the stern quarter (cushioned with fenders) of the towed boat and "pushing" it with our dinghy. Better control that way than towing from ahead. Obviously with the skipper of the towed boat doing the steering. In a pinch we could do that with our own boat in case of a breakdown, only limited by the amount of outboard gas carried, usually in our case about 2 gallons, which would give us a range of +/- 5 NM in calm no-current water.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
notsowindyyet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Cologne, Germany

Post by notsowindyyet »

You are all absolutely 100% right.

- Use the boat before making a prio list for changes
- dingy can tow and push the mother home (we tow a grand ranger 20hp anyways for fun action.)
- 1 week of rain will bring all weaknesses to light - on boats and in campers for every crew - independent of age, sex, family status or experience.

for the use- thing: I cant wait to get her in the water and drive and I try to shorten waiting time by thinking about possible issues and solutions... it is a hobby after all
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

A couple notes on the outboard:

You'll find the Tohatsu 4 (and probably others) is exactly the same weight as the 6, and not much difference in price. I bought the 6.

Also, at the power level required to push a 25' boat, it is NOT that quiet. Your idled-down diesel may be quieter.

Before I tried anything else, I'd find a friend with a dinghy and motor, tie it "on the the hip" and try pushing your boat with it. Probably all it will cost you is a few beers.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”