• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What are you guys using for bilge pumps?

Albin's "power cruisers"
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

What are you guys using for bilge pumps?

Post by stmbtwle »

Any water in my 27FC collects in the keel just forward of the skeg. As we all know that area is more than a little bit "tight", and then there's the propeller shaft. The PO installed an new model automatic Jabsco 500 there but had to grind the "ears" off the strainer to get it past the shaft, and it's still a wrestling match getting it in or out. However that pump is dying. The old model Jabsco 500 which I think might fit is no longer available, and I'm at a loss what to install.

If I can't find a centrifugal pump small enough I've thought of a diaphragm pump mounted in the locker, but they're nortoriously touchy about debris and reliability would be an issue.

Any suggestions?
mistyjim1
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Cave junction or

Re: What are you guys using for bilge pumps?

Post by mistyjim1 »

I'd check eBay for the old style 500 your sure fits, everything shows up there sooner or later. Give it a month and you can probably find a couple in good shape. One to wear and one to spare
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

I did find a couple copies, but I also found a "Shoreline 800" at Walmart, and it goes in IF I take the base off. Once past the shaft I could put the base back on and fiddle it into position. A separate float switch on a piece of aluminum bar finished the job, for a whole lot less $ than another computerized Rule. It moves the water, too!
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Denver

Post by kerrye »

I used one similar to this with a hose and sensor down in the narrow bilge. https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1612482
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

Thanks guys, I didn't know such a beast was even available. I'll look into them. The centrifugal could be located forward as a backup. I'm very much a fan of multiple pumps.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Kerry, does your system include a filter screen of some sort? (I am like steamboatwillie, just catching up with this type of pump having used the skinny pencil pump that came with the boat, then the one piece rule pump that doesn't get low enough to ever run, which is sort of good.)

I see Whale has a kit with the remote switch and screen (and length of hose to the remote mounted pump) that goes down low into the bilge narrows, but it also looks too wide for use on the A25s. Thus my question to Kerry. I am also interested in what type of switch you used. I really want to avoid the mercury type switch. Surely there are better options.
Thanks for posting.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

WillieC
I don't think mercury is even allowed any more. Modern float switches may look the same but they're not. However many manufacturers now also have water-sensing switches with no moving parts. They'll work with any pump, and can't stick. I like 'em.
https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Digital- ... 234&sr=8-7
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

The switch I used is the one in the second (?) link. It's electronic, very thin and fits down in the narrow bilge. It sees to work quite well. The filter screen mechanism which came with it didn't fit in that small bilge space so I did the following: I had an existing manual pump with a non-screened hose going down to that narrow bilge. I added the hose from the new electric pump and put it in the bilge about 8" away from the existing hose for the manual pump. I then took a piece of 3/4" black irrigation pipe about 8" long, put 90 degree barbed fittings on either end so it could be connected to each hose and then drilled a bunch of small holes in the irrigation pipe so it functions like a screen for both the manual pump and the electric pump. That pipe lays right at the bottom of the narrow bilge. I thought I put pictures of that set up on here somewhere but a search was unsuccessful.
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

This is the switch. I mounted it to a piece of 1/2" Ipe about 10 inches long and it stands upright in that narrow bilge keeping the switch in the correct orientation and it makes putting the switch in place and removing it quite easy. I ended up wiring the switch incorrectly at first and it didn't work but I finally got it right. Don't know if it was the result of poor instructions or my idiocy. I recall thinking it was poor instructions, but that could just be an indication of my idiocy. https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Whale-Elec ... be9006.htm
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We inherited a belt driven diaphragm bilge pump mounted in the bilge section just forward of the aft cabin with suction hose run down into the keel sump. It has a small inline strainer which clogs easily & has to be cleaned out frequently. No automatic float switch & has to be switched on & off manually at the helm station. Not a big deal since our boat is not kept in the water full time. If we did decide on full time wet slip moorage I'd have to wire in a float switch & on/off/auto dashboard switch. Backup pump is a manual Whale Gusher also mounted in the aft bilge section. Diaphragm pumps are great but also very expensive, > $400.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

Thanks, Kerry. That switch showed up lower on the page of the pump. Looks like a good unit.

That pipe you describe has a name, which I forget.

A little searching found this!

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10266&start=30&hilit=strainer+pipe
kerrye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kerrye »

Yep that’s what I was looking for. Good work
keoki62
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockport tx

Post by keoki62 »

I have one of these mounted vertically on an angle under shaft and one forward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stmbtwle »

Interesting. Did you have to take it apart to get it past the shaft?

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”