• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

What are you guys using for bilge pumps?

Albin's "power cruisers"
TorreyWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Buffalo NY

Re: What are you guys using for bilge pumps?

Post by TorreyWP »

I have the same loPro style pump aft and a big 2000 GPH that I slid down between the engine and transmission as a high water pump.

The loPro fits between the shaft and wall with no problem.

When I got the boat the loPro was originally a “fully auto” version that “checks” by coming on every 10 minutes or so. Not very pleasant when staying aboard. I switched it to a non auto and added a float.
Torrey Pollard
1985 27FC
Beta 50
TorPedo
USCG 50 Ton Near Coastal
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

I have the same as keoki62 mounted horizontally as far forward as it can go. I have to take it apart to get it under the shaft. As I recall, the installation instructions say to mount it horizontally, but I haven’t read them lately.
Of course it sits way too high, water only reaches it when I am in there cleaning or draining water tank, which is good. Essentially it is the back up pump. We use the original stock Whale hand pump for normal use.
When I feel the need to do it right, I’ll copy kerry’s method.
For the strainer on the hand pump I have taken a piece of nylon screen door fabric and made a sock about six inches long and tie wrapped it to the pick up hose. Works fine, but I am pretty careful about keeping solids out of the bilge in the first place.
keoki62
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Rockport tx

Post by keoki62 »

Now it is mounted vertically on an angle then screw on the hose fitting. Will try to post a pic tomorrow
stmbtwle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ruskin, FL

Post by stmbtwle »

Thanks, guys, for all the help! I've had bad luck with the "sensor" pumps over the years, I think the constant "checking" eventually burns up the seal and water gets into the motor. I finally settled on basic non-auto, centrifugal pumps with separate electronic switches. No float to stick and a short after run to get out that last inch of water. So far, so good.

The whale diaphragm pumps were very interesting, but just too pricey for me.
jumpjet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mt Juliet, TN Cumberland river

Post by jumpjet »

My new to me 1988 27 FC. I discovered during pre-buy inspection that aft bilge pump discharge hose was split and just pumping water back into bilge. That was in Feb 2019 and freezing cold...now April needs to be fixed. What a PITA. I wanted to replace the entire discharge hose from pump to stern discharge. The pump is below the prop shaft in the little well almost below stuffing box. My arms are not long enough and I was on my head, sideways, backward—you name it cannot get to pump. I tried removing the single step into the aft cabin with the three drawers removed. I found most of the screws holding everything together, but did not budge. I did not want to break anything—there is a large enough opening—maybe 6 inch but 20 inch to service prop shaft and stuffing box—but that rear wooden bulkhead/drawers has to come out. Anyway, the split discharge hose was 1/2 up the side of the bilge and I just cut out the split section and got a 3/4 inch nylon nipple with barbs on each end. Fitted into each end of hose and secured with two hose clams. Works great now.

Any idea how to get access to the aft bilge? I really need to figure out how to remove the single step into aft cabin--then I can get really good access to stuffing box/prop shaft. Have searched other AOG maint forums but nothing related to 27FC. Appreciate comments.
Steve
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Are you familiar with JT's website?

http://motorcityboatwerks.weebly.com/albin-27fc.html

If anyone has anything to say about it, this would be it. Hopefully.

He may even respond personally.
jumpjet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jumpjet »

Thanks WillieC--I am, just forgot about it. will search there.

Steve
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

Hi the best trick if not already pointed out is mount the pump on a stainless flat bar with a bend on the bottom so you can easily pull it out for servicing and repairs.
Cheers Warren
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
jumpjet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jumpjet »

greeting all. I finally took action on both intermittent/inop forward and aft bilge pumps. I took the leap and spent the bucks for the whale gulper IC. I have to drill out plugs to the step and take the front face off of the cabinet, but man so much more room to access the keel bilge. After several tools/bad words and trip to parts store for way longer screwdriver I was able to remove the flapper valve and old rule pump. Per recommendations here, I mounted the IC switch and pick up on an aluminum flat and attached to flat bar to the aft bulkhead with SS screws. All hose/wire firmly secured. Now it is easy to get the pick up out of the water if needed. I mounted the pump in the rudder/steering locker. It is below the arc of the steering and rudder post--completely out of the water. Installed new reinforced hose too. And, new marine grade 3 wire from pump to helm. Pump works great auto or manual. Very please so far. While expensive, we are preparing our Serenity for the great loop later this fall. I am getting too old to be down in narrow keel bilge fixing/unclogging a pump. So I went with way. Only time will tell. Replaced forward bilge with standard Rule with flapper direct wired to power. Thanks for all of the tips. Steve
IMG_8779.jpeg
IMG_0059.jpeg
IMG_6625.jpeg
IMG_0056.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jumpjet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by jumpjet »

BTW--anyone have details on Albin 27fc helm bilge switch that auto-manual and has an illuminated light? Only patent number---cannot find part number?

Thanks.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I like that install. A project for this winter.
Nice job!
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Whenever I think I paid too much for our boat the Jabsco Model 36600 diaphragm bilge pump installed by previous owners comes to mind, in addition to all the other things I didn't have to upgrade or restore (but in some cases did anyway). These pumps are priced in the $400 plus range. Ours is wired direct via it's own dedicated circuit to a fused switch on the 12V dashboard accessories panel. Manual on-off operation only since we dry store the boat. If we ever decided to moor full time in a marina slip I'd have to wire in a float switch, preferably a no-moving-parts electronic type and a separate ON-OFF-AUTO panel switch. Pump is mounted on a plywood shelf to port & next to the prop shaft stuffing box & behind the exhaust wet muffler. 3/4" suction hose with inline strainer is routed to the bottom of the keel sump just ahead of the shaft stuffing box and discharge is routed over and up the starboard side of the hull to just below the helm station. That way when the pump is on one just has to look out the side window to see if water is coming out. One of the nice things about an A25 is all you need to do is lift a floorboard to see what's going on in the bilge.

https://www.starmarinedepot.com/jabsco- ... gK2gPD_BwE

Backup pump is a manual Whale Gusher mounted under the back floorboard panel & bolted to the frame board that supports the front of the rear floorboard and the back of the floorboard panel behind the engine. It's suction & discharge hoses are routed similar fashion to the Jabsco pump.

Between the two of them the cost to replace them like for like would be close to $700. But like a parachute, when you need them & don't have them you'll never need them again.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”